1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

didn't know what this did until I googled it and the second result was "DELETE ALL DATA REALLY FAST WITH TRUNCATE TABLE CASCADE". Yikes. Can you get the data back?

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not from transaction logs; "truncate" specifically doesn't record anything in the transaction logs. "Delete from ..." does record to the transaction logs, which is why it's a lot slower than a truncate statement. "Truncate ... cascade" is the "nuke it from orbit" approach: any dependent tables with FK relationships into that table will also be truncated. That is what I did.

Thankfully however, this is a cluster in Amazon RDS comprised of pretty beefy Aurora PostgreSQL nodes. Aurora instances can do a "point in time" recovery. Absolute worst case scenario is that we'll lose 4-6 hours worth of data. Either way I'll be burning the midnight oil on this.

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

From memory the point in time recovery shouldnt take overly long to restore from either so itll keep any down time to a minimum.

Found out today after my manager said he would just say I was on holiday rather than signed off for two weeks with stress/anxiety, hes told everyone why I'm off. "insert chosen sting of expletives"

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Took about an hour to restore a test instance. Hundreds of thousands of rows are gone though, so I'll be here a while getting this sorted.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sounds like a breach of privacy and some leverage right there ;)
    Good luck. God speed.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Oh man, double whammy today.

Rainbow Skies isn't releasing on the Vita until 26th June. I've been counting on this making a flight to Vegas next week disappear. Need to scramble for an alternative.

Rainbow Moon previously served me well for many a long-haul flight. Around 200 hours of gameplay.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Wow I didn't realise that was still a thing and they were still releasing stuff for it.

Makes me feel happy for some reason.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It never got the recognition it deserves IMO - I love it. It never got many headline-grabbing triple-As, but there's still loads of quality content out there and still being released, and PS4 remote play will continue to be excellent even if they kill off new releases at some point.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I had (re have in the loft) one of the precursor PSP thingys but like the idea the vita is still going.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh man. I killed a lot of data, and I mean a lot.

11. MLyons

we talking hours? days? weeks?

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh only about 7 hours, but it represents over a million rows of data that had to be restored across a complex data model, and a service that paying customers couldn't access properly. Because ol' fatfingers here forgot to check the connection parameters when he was issuing a dangerous command.

There are three lessons I've learned today/yesterday:
    • People who are under a lot of pressure and time constraints will make mistakes
    • Amazon Aurora is well worth the money
    • dbForge Data Compare for PostgreSQL is a fine way to spend $100 of project budget

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

...well at least now you know the restore process works :thumb:

Byron C likes this.
  14. Sajuuk

Sajuuk Outsider who isn't welcome.

Sad news:

[​IMG]

Guest-23315 likes this.
  15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Shift + Delete literally 4 years of work thanks to GDPR.

I know why we've got to do it, but it ****ing stings.

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ouch. That one really hurts. I thought he was out of the woods as well.

17. MLyons

If that’s the case then surely it’s stuff you shouldn’t of had in the first place? Also, forgot to take my earphones from work so on the bus for an hour without them :(

18. MLyons

A smoker just sat next to me on them bus. Bloody hate this smell. To anyone out there that smokes but doesn’t think they smell of smoke even when they haven’t just smoked you’re wrong.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

They're long-run financial models which are automatically updated with actual results to show how accurate our models are. So, they don't have client data per-se, but they have results built upon actual clients - and we still aren't 100% sure if/what that constitutes.

20. MLyons

Did you have permission to use and collect that data? Can that data be used to identify clients or have the ability to tie results to a client? If not then you should from my understanding be fine