1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Poor kitty :sigh: I need to sort out getting a decent draft excluding cat flap fitted and can then start browsing the cats protection site again before the wife changes her mind.

adidan likes this.
  2. Sajuuk

Sajuuk Outsider who isn't welcome.

All jokiing aside, I only drink PG Tips myself- I've tried most other brands including a few red label brands ( I tried Sainsbury's red label once- had one cup and gave the other 39 tea bags away, tasted like actual dirty dish water ) but PG Tips is by far superior. I'd say somewhere between Werther's Original and He-Man for strength...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Never mind that, the bugger's perfectly happy, poor me!

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I noticed the sting when I had my two girls. First couple of years it cost nothing (about £30 a year per cat) then it started increasing sharply ffs.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

How old is the cat, Gareth? Unfortunately they really do get a lot more expensive to insure as they age. And once they hit about 9, you probably won't be able to switch providers, as they typically don't take on new policies for such elderly creatures :D So if the cat is close to 9, make sure that your next policy covers everything that you feel you might need, as you'll be locked in once they hit 9.

No life assurance, Mr Halfacree? What'll happen to your family if you cark it?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

11 or so - I've found PetPlan will still take him, but might just continue paying my current provider (Sainsbury's) so preexisting conditions are covered.
    Oh, I forgot about that - probably because it was fire-and-forget, and I don't get an annual renewal letter telling me everything's getting more expensive. Yeah, I have two life insurance policies: took the first out when I got married, and the other on the birth of my second child. (Worked out cheaper to do that than increase the payout on my first policy, oddly.)

7. Vault-Tec

Working in a loft. It's come time to run the aerial cable to the spare room (dread). It was bad enough, then I realised that I could not actually reach the cable because it was right at the front of the roof (my big fat ass got about half way). Thank god for mother's grabber !!. It's so humid up there that every 30 mins or so I have to stop what I am doing and come and sit in front of the large fan (running at full clip) before I can continue. Horrible dirty places ugh. I shall bloody enjoy my shower tonight.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, your options reduce significantly once they start getting on a bit. Preexisting conditions is a big factor, too.

And glad to hear you've got life cover, as unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who don't have any means of providing for their families should the worst happen. Life assurance is super cheap, too.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Manual drive maps that don't even come close to matching. Seriously, whoever set this system up is in need of a violent kicking.

10. Vault-Tec

Realising that to repair my vintage 90s JL Audio 10s that I need to remove the dust cap so I can shim them. Otherwise they will scrape and be off balance :(

The foam is rotten so much that it took me about 5 mins to completely remove it from one with nothing but my fingers. The paper surround came off with a wallpaper stripper under it..

I want them repaired and working so bad. They really were bleeding edge back then and they sound amazing. Not ordered the foam kit yet. Will wait and see if I can remove the dust caps without destroying them first.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I need to stop drinking. So many wasted days.

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

#Summer days, drifting away,
    But oh! those summer nights!#

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The fever of hay.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I just fried something on my motherboard :(. Swapping out an mSATA HDD and I must have shorted pins - the power was still connected, so there was an ever-so-tiny puff of magic smoke and now I can't boot from an mSATA drive. Luckily no data has been lost and I can still boot the system using a USB3-to-mSATA adapter... and the board only cost £16, so it's not going to break the bank to replace it. Irritating though.

15. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Got some code that doesn't work. Ok I think, I'll just copy and paste it from the known working place then change the values to the correct ones once it works. Nope. Not got a clue why it's not working. Add to that a bug we can only reproduce in production. Fun times.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ooooo, they're the best - gotta love it when you have to debug production :thumb:.

In all srsnss though: how easy is it for you to take a clone of your production environment and replicate it elsewhere? (Making sure you disable any external integrations before spinning up the cloned instance...) The system I'm working on is almost entirely stateless, so it's pretty easy to take the Production code and spin it up against a copy of the Production database.

17. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They're actually very close. No idea why I can't reproduce it atm. It only happens in very specific interaction so may be relegated to the "another day" list soon.

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Speaking of code problems...

I'm doing a technical challenge as part of a job interview process - "here's a couple of thousand JSON files, do something cool/interesting with them" - and I get the feeling that I'm going to struggle to produce anything workable in the time I have. I've got to the point where I've parsed the JSON input into SQL script files that a traditional relational database can deal with, but it's taking ages to load the data into my tiny weedy AWS PostgreSQL instance. Beyond having a poke about with Tableau, I don't even know wtf I'm going to do with this data once I've got it in there. I spent way too long trying to get these JSON files parsed into something I know how to deal with, and even then the c# code I've written is one gigantic messy hack.

Ah well, I'll see how I get on. This process isn't like any other job interview process I've ever been through, so I really have no idea what to expect.

19. MLyons

If you're allowed to use python and html/css/js send them over and I'll have a little play

20. Vault-Tec

Both mum and I seem to have a rotten cold. I thought that last night my throat was sore because I really needed to change the coil in my Ecig, but this morning I have been coughing and have a caked up nose.