1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I should post that pic of a skeleton sitting on a bench and title it "I waited on CBT".

Ten years dude. Ten years I have been in the mental health service and I am still waiting for CBT. They've mumbled it once or twice, but call them out on it and the govt's ass puckers up so fast it makes your head spin.

Don't rely on the mental health system as it is. It was 100% better under labour, whatever bad people say about them. If you want to talk just fire me a PM, as I can probably help you more than they do. I mean damn, I got allocated a social worker on my second OD right. All I asked from him in my care plan was "please check in with me once a month to make sure I am OK, and not about to take another OD". We wrote it out, signed it, not heard from the c**t in three months. That is how good the mental health system is right now in my area at least. They even stopped you being able to call the mental place directly. Now you have to phone a call centre, wait on the phone for 10 mins, then say "Can you put me through to the reception at the bedale, please?" and they go "OK" and then you have to wait to get through to there. It's staggeringly bad.

I wouldn't mind, but I can never get through. I know why, too. I went around there last month to get my sub for my sleeping pills and found the receptionist sitting with her feet up talking to a property lawyer about her latest acquisition, a 1 bed flat she wanted to rent out........ I should have recorded her on video, but my reactions ain't what they once were.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Sorry to hear dude, as @The_Crapman says, I hope you get the help you need to see you through this.

Like you say, hope to see you in the better thread some time, even if it's just a post like about having a lovely cup of tea and watching the sunrise.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I wanted to start a vlog to help a few friends and family to help with a few things they keep asking about. I wanted to use the "selfie" camera on the front face of my phone for face-shots.

Today of all days I would drop my phone while getting into the car and the screen would crack. It's completely useable however there is a lovely crack straight across the center of the front camera.

Of the 2mm of screen space across my Galaxy S8, it chose to crack through the middle of the camera lens.

It's a first world problem I know, but the annoyance has got to me more than normal.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ouch. That there is what we call Law of Sod, more commonly known as "buttered side down".

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Set phone up with rear cam facing you and mirror in front of screen to see what is happening?

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

an eye watering £75 quid shipping on an item from japan, bloody eu is gonna **** me hard for customs ¬_¬

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

The Department for the Law of Sod is in the same building as The Ministry of Crap Design.

8. Vault-Tec

More like the Ministry Of Money Making. They probably know that the phones these days are so fragile that one drop will kill them (surely they do drop tests?) and know you'll be back for more.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sure they do do drop tests. How else would they have come up with 2.5D glass and exposed glass corners that are so ridiculously easy to chip or even make your whole screen go all-out Spiderman on you? Whoever made the decision to use that in a day-to-day object prone to getting dropped was a) a corporate genius who made some companies a boatload of money and b) a filthy bugger when viewed from a consumer standpoint.

Then again, longevity is not what companies seem to want from their products nowadays...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

TBFH, I'd suggest it's because society is, mostly, about form over function.

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Two "issues"

First, order of a toolbox to add to my existing one, turned up this morning, not only is it not the same colour but it it was wrapped in a single piece of bubblewrap for its shipping from Poland. Needless to say its been damaged and is un-usable.

Second, and I would say more of a concern, last few weeks I've felt crap run down tired constant sore throat headache an aches an pains. Turns out I have Bronchitis! Yay!

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat.

Phone and tablet manufacturers are entirely responsible for the problem. It was they that pushed thinness as something desirable and went on to try and outdo each other with each new product launch.

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Seems to be make it as thin as possible with as large a screen as possible, I dont want a 7.2" screen phone!!

14. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Fetishising metal when plastic is a better material for making phones out of didn't help either.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As is fetishizing making the devices as thin as possible, structural integrity be damned.

I want a phone that:

...actually fits in my pocket.
    ...won't shatter into a gazillion pieces if I look at it funny.
    ...doesn't cost more than a second hand car.

...oh and if you could actually make phonecalls with it, that'd be a welcome novelty too.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If people didn't trip over their own tongues and jaws trying to buy the next 'latest and greatest' phone, I think they might have backed off that approach by now though.

17. Vault-Tec

Well I never go for the top end on phones. Not any more. That was a game I played once with my £490 Blackberry Passport, and not something I would ever repeat (even though it now makes for a great internet radio). But I digress...

The last one I got was a Koolnee K1. It cost me about £140, has 8 cores, a reasonable GPU (it's nothing ground breaking) and a half decent camera. It has a rolled edge screen and it's big at 6", but it comes with a clear case (free in the box) and even though the entire phone is glass I can confirm it lasts the drop test. I even performed the "spinning banshee" with it last week, where you half drop it then react very quickly sending it into a spin before it hits the ground. And it lived, not a crack in sight (apart from mine).

That said even if it had shattered I would feel much less desolate than if I dropped a device that cost a bag of sand. Id' probably shrug, then look on the positive side, where I can then spend hours and hours trying to find the cheapest semi reasonable phone again. The only thing it doesn't do that I wanted it to was allow me to change the wallpaper and it stay there upon reboot. A bug Koolnee still can't fix it would seem.

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Lover of bit-tech

I ****ing hate musical episodes. Stop with the singing already!!! :grr:

19. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

My wife "suggested" I watch the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with her just two nights ago...

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Where do we go from here?