1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Aye, and nothing to prevent someone from just necking the bottle, which is why Boots et al don't stock it, but smaller indies may.
    Somewhat amusingly they advised of this whilst collecting prescriptions of oramorph, tramadol and oxycodone for a poorly Mrs_Tad

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Sadly not.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My dad was on oramorph for a while before he died (before he had to have drugs administered by a syringe driver), and.... yeah, that's some Grade A irony right there.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Tramadol makes me puke. I had a bottle of oramorph when I hurt my neck a few years back. Fun stuff :D

Oxycodone? That's the biggest hitter. My doc once said he only prescribed it for people who are dying. It's massively abused in the USA.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

People's scales of pain meds amuse me. Some people think taking paracetamol and ibuprofen together is essentially crack, but then you have people like my father in law who rattle when they walk they're on so many.

Just had one of the worst dining experiences when out for Lauren's graduation. Had to send my steak back as was seriously overdone. New one comes and is the rare side of med/rare when I've for medium and it's so salty it's as though they've plucked it from the sea. Don't know why they bothered giving it to me as the waiter seemed to know it was **** and was offering a refund before I'd explained how **** it was, so makes me wonder what on earth they did to it. Only one of the 4 meals was decent. Really awful and it seemed like they just accepted it was going to be awful and would have complaints.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2019
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It is situational though. Normally I take one Ibuprofen and that's me done. Some years ago I argued with a jet of boiling water, at A&E they gave me everything and it was brilliant! It certainly gave me insight into how people get dependant on painkillers.

7. Mister_Tad

My wife has stopped the Tramadol as she described "sleep" like a semi-awake trance. Like when you fall asleep watching TV but you're still constantly aware of what's going on, and in the morning you may as well have not slept at all. Sounds thoroughly unpleasant.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

When I froze my shoulder I was prescribed maximum dosages of diclofenac sodium, codeine, and prozac. Naturally, I took all three at once.

Three hours later, my wife got home to find me sat on the sofa drooling while starting at the TV. Which had been switched off the entire time.

Later experimentation showed that I could have any one of the drugs, or any combination of two of the drugs, but all three together was basically an off switch.

9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I remember when was in hospital once the doctor said they were going to give me paracetamol. Anyway, I laughed basically thinking it was the tablets.
    Nope IV of the stuff oh my days warm fuzzy feeling an nodded off entirely forgetting about the actual injury

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

My mum used to get Novalgin in liquid form. Once I had a headache while visiting and asked for painkillers. Well, she didn't have anything else in the house so I took half of what she had to take (against brutal headaches after several brain tumour surgeries). Let's just say the pain definitely went away. FAR away.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I liked the epidural. That thing was absolutely amazing.

I do not miss morphine. It just made me feel unwell. Codeine made me hallucinate, so that was out too. As for regular over the counter ibuprofen/paracetamol, I've never noticed any pain relief or effect otherwise so I've never really bothered taking them.

That epidural though. Boy did that do what it said on the tin.

12. Mister_Tad

Short of a GA, I guess it would do!

I've been fed various forms strong opioids following injury or surgery and whilst they've always dealt with the pain very well, I found them frustrating. Kind of the same feeling when you know you've had one drink too much, and you wish you hadn't and would rather be sober... like unable to function at full capacity, yet not content to just vegetate.

My "woah... that's the stuff" moment(s) would be intravenous midazolam. I've had it twice for outpatient procedures, and after being sent home have spent the rest of the day just feeling "nice"... everything is fine, wonderful in fact. Can see how that would get moreish. I was entirely unsurprised when researching it after the fact that it's used in the US as the first drug in the lethal injection cocktail.

13. liratheal

Aye, GA was fun too - Although I remember the arm-stabby and that's about it.

I don't think I've ever had any post-drugging 'nice' feelings. Mostly it was hunger I felt coming out of GA, and my unwillingness to take pain controlling medication hasn't lead to many 'nice' feelings.

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

When my GP sent me off to hospital 9 years ago, severe bowel pain, quack wanted to rule out buggered appendix, morphine was wonderful. Killed the pain stone dead and I drifted off to sleep.

15. liratheal

Yeah, I don't think most people can argue with the pain-relief of morphine!

For whatever reason I was taking it (as dolled out by nurses, not self medicating) on the ward in both solid slow-release pill form and liquid form - But that was in combination with the epidural for three days, and when the epidural came out I didn't really notice any benefit to the morphine when I stopped taking it four days later.

They still sent me home with enough pain meds to OD on. Eh.

The joys of every human being different! The lady can take two ibuprofen 400mg and pass out.

16. Mister_Tad

I just want to take a break from our regularly scheduled programming to call out this comment. There have been a number of reported posts querying why it hasn't been removed... allow me to explain.

Firstly, leaving the comment stand does not imply that it's "okay", far from it. It should have been called out sooner, however. I attempted to engage to do so however my reply was left unanswered, and I forgot about it.

The fact that you immediately suggested the idea without knowing anything of the woman in question's situation is sexist. The fact that you suggested that "oh there's another one" is sexist. The fact that you seem to believe that workplace relationships and/or flings can only be about one thing in the industry you work in is sexist.

To top it off though, unmerited promotions happen all the time, everywhere, to members of every gender, race, creed, nationality and so on, for various reasons. So even in the case that there was a woman who happened to get into a managerial role though "sleeping her way to the top", how is that in any way worse than anyone else getting a promotion through any means other than merit?

It sounds to me more like you have a chip on your shoulder about it than anything else. Perhaps if you spent more time thinking about your own career and less time worrying about others' you may net one of those unmerited promotions for yourself.

I'm not removing it though, as I think the overwhelming majority of forumites will read it and simply believe that you're an asshat. Removing the comment achieves no such thing.

As a general rule, if you have to preface something with "I'm not sexist/racist/whateverist but...", you are. How about keeping it to yourself and moving on in future.

<fin>

Mr_Mistoffelees, Shirty, Hex and 2 others like this.
  17. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Jan 2019
  18. Mister_Tad

Very self-aware of you. Refer to my previous suggestion...

19. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Jan 2019
  20. Mister_Tad

It surprises me little that you've entirely missed my point.

I've said my piece, now you've said yours. I'm not interesting in arguing it with you as I don't believe there's any value in it, so let's just move on.