1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Likewise when it's a 'private number'...

...well then i shall respect your privacy by not answering

IanW and adidan like this.
  2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Phone scams work by volume of calls and moving on from unsuccessful calls as fast as possible. IMO there is a simple fix to telephone scams/telemarketers. If every person holds the scammer on the line for as long as possible, the system will cease to be profitable. Honestly, 1 to 5 minutes of your time is not the big of a deal, and you can make a game of it while stringing the scammer along.
    "Ah huh... Tell me more." slipped out every time there was silence on the line kept telemarketer busy for 5 minutes while I was watching TV. The call end with me being transferred to his manager who wasn't restricted with his script. Similarly, "Sorry I missed that, the show I'm watching is really interesting. Did you know..." and start retelling a random TV show.

On topic...
    Something has gotten into one of my Babaylon 5 DVD cases and damage two disks. It has either bonded to or distorted the plastic, as I am unable to wash it off. Borrowing a friends old disk repair kit to see if I can polish the disk up enough to read and rip.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The older generation usually does. We are very keen on being nosey. I mean, we have to be accurate: there MUST NOT be a phone call without result.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

My Dad received out of nowhere £9000+ into his account this morning, followed by a phonecall from our next door neighbour, who had evidently suffered a head injury and developed a Turkish accent. Naturally he said he'd made a large transfer by mistake and could my Dad please transfer the money to the account he was about to give him by phone.

Did I mention my Dad worked in financial services for 25 years and is (despite my wondering sometimes) not an idiot.

So he calls his neighbour and discovers that yes, £9000and-a-bit really is missing from Neighbour's account, just days after he applied for a Turkish travel visa. It seems Neighbour's computer was then hacked and a load of money moved from his savings to accounts of people he had recently made payments to (Dad is a plumber nowadays). Naturally my Dad calls his bank and tells them what's going on. They respond by freezing his accounts on the spot. Where does this leave his bills and direct debits? They'll tell him when they feel like it. Truly no good deed goes unpunished.

It also means muggins here is giving Dad money, since he can't use ATMs either, on account of his accounts being frozen. Yay!

Last edited: 20 Jun 2019
    IanW, adidan and MLyons like this.
  5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Makes perfect sense.... :eyebrow:

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

That 100% sucks but just to play devils advocate, how do the bank know this isn't part of the scam, I worked in a bank a long time ago and we was trained in scams and laundering but you was always steps behind the ideas.

It's kinda like being stopped by the police and asked to proove who yo uare, you've done nothing wrong but you have to comply.

Although, depending on the bank depends on how your dad is treated, some banks clearly don't give a f**k about the customer.

Hope it all gets sorted

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah egged on by YouTube I waste loads of their time now. I mainly spend ages on my 'tablet' which I don't own, keep asking them questions making them keep trying their rebuttals and when I do finally get up and use my computer I tell them it's really slow wasting more of their time.

After about 15 minutes I finally say "ok I'm in Linux, what was it you wanted me to do again?"

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

No you don't unless they have reasonable grounds.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not in the UK, you don't.
    EDIT: Ninja'd by @adidan!

EDIT EDIT:
    On-topic, I have pulled a muscle in my chest... while sleeping. Lovely!

Last edited: 21 Jun 2019
    goldstar0011 likes this.
  10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

So, users kicked off after his PST file (urgh) didnt back up, ignoring its actually larger than their file quota.

Anyway they had their laptop rebuilt to Win10. Build failed so for speed they were given a shiny new laptop old one goes into RDC blah blah.

Users not happy they insist we can get their laptop back online and get the data, ignoring the fact the encrypted hard drive was wiped...

11. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Boss seems to be in a mood.

Amongst other moans he asked me the other day to watch out for a sample arriving, today he asked where is the sample......
    Well.....if you haven't heard off me, it hasn't arrived

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Few things.

1. My knees are going. I've been doing the stairs a lot, and my muscles are strong. However the actual knee joints feel like they've been smashed with a hammer at the end of the day. Arthritis sucks. My left hand and hip had already gone ages ago, but I need my knees ffs.

2. I got my deposit back on the flat. My ex paid it initially in 2013. However, we are long since divorced and she done a runner with our undisclosed savings (at least a few grand). So I decided to give half to mum and spend the other half. Mostly as my ex hated my mother, so it was kind of in spite (but more because it makes me laugh. She was truly horrid to my mother). Two days after it had come and gone I get this random email from her youngest daughter. It read -

Dear Andrew.

Do you have anything that belonged to my mother?

Most specifically photos.

Name removed (I don't know why, I really don't like her given that the second we split they both (her and her older sister) blocked me on everything. That's the thanks I get for giving them £50 a birthday for 6 years !.

So my initial thought was "f**k, she's dead!" which set off all sorts of emotions. Most notably me forcing myself not to be a cold unempathic d**k. I managed it though.. Any way, you should never ask an autie anything and say "specifically" as I will ignore the rest and answer. I replied -

Hi, Daughter I don't really like very much (real name was there obs).

I do not have any photos in hard format, as your mother took them all when she left (have you asked her?)

I may have some photos of a holiday we took in 2014, maybe the wedding photos (all digital) and possibly one or two of elder sister's name's graduation. I can check on the server if you would like, as I dump all of my backups on there and seldom ever actually look through them?

Radio silence.

Then it dawned on me she was likely fishing on behalf of her mother for cash. That's one thing, she's done a great job of raising her girls as they're both as greedy as she is. And not once in 6 years did I even get a thank you over Facebook or anything. I mean nothing, not one time did they thank me for my £50.

BTW if you were wondering why my ex didn't email me.. Couple of reasons really. Firstly I went to great lengths to block her emails and phone calls etc so she probably used her daughter as a pawn.

Also if I sound like an uncaring d**k because my ex could have dropped dead? nah. I logged out of Twitter (as they've both blocked me) and did some stalking and neither of them have mentioned anything about being sad or what not and are posting crap about their jobs etc etc.

It has set off some emotions in me. Ones that I wish would just f**k off and go away. It's long over, and I am moving on.

Any way, she can whistle if she thinks she's getting the cash as it's gone. And if she slips up and drops my ex landlady in even more s**t than she's in then that would be funny also. My ex was never the tenant, and I made it clear we had divorced so if my ex drops her in it I shall forward all info onto my solicitor and let them have her for leaking private info too. I phoned my trust (they are all legally trained) and they told me that unless I had a written contract with my ex to pay the deposit back she can screw off.

3. I went down to the outskirts of London on Saturday, and my mother still clearly doesn't understand autism after all of these years. We went on a set journey. One I knew, one I was least anxious about (but still had to take two diazepam just to knock me out). Any way, all the way there she's talking about getting off at random stations for the change trying to make the journey faster. I keep protesting that I would please like to just do the route I know. She kept on and on, and then eventually as we were pulling into Crawley she gets up and says "I'm getting off here". Which I thought was pretty cruel. So I got up and followed her, and the stress of the journey and the fact I had never been at Crawley and the fact it was peeing rain and cold set me off. I had a full on meltdown, shouting lots of expletives at my mother. 28 minutes we sodding sat there, me going out of my mind with terror as I had no idea where I was.

I think she learned her lesson. I have now insisted she reads a book about autism, so as not to do anything that will make me have a panic attack or meltdown. I wouldn't mind, but I politely told her to just go with the flow and leave things the eff alone. Doesn't listen though.

And that's it really. Moan over.

13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Bought a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus from Amazon, sold and fulfilled by Amazon, and here is what arrived...

[​IMG]

14. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Cue: one less-than-happy Kiwi (understatement alert).

15. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Amazon to be fair have sorted a replacement already (after I showed them the photo) but it won't arrive until Tuesday, I was planning to build the rig this weekend.

The strange thing is that the seals were intact on the Samsung box, I had to cut it open to get inside. I reckon it is a dummy display box that got mixed up with the real thing.

16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Not bad, for a Friday... but NWD wouldn't have killed them.

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I did ask for a faster turnaround seeing as I originally paid £5 for one day delivery but the dude said he couldn't change the delivery speed on a return unless I was a Prime member.

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... 'least you asked. :thumb:

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Finally get round to ordering a suit for a wedding in russia in a little over a week, a nice grey number from next, paid through PayPal, job sorted.

Now the shirt and tie, ordered through TM Lewin, pay through PayPal, error, awaiting status of payment, 'we won't take your payment till your order is confirmed', request payment status update, homepage. Basket empty, no trace of an order, pending payment authorised as far as paypal and the bank are concerned, tying up what funds I had left till Friday. Joy. That's going to be a ball ache I could have done without.

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well the Dad banking took a slightly Kafka-esque turn yesterday. Upon calling them Bank claimed that they had no record of his contacting them on Thursday, but his accounts were still frozen because 'someone' reported suspicious activity to them. When pressed on who 'someone' was, they of course wouldn't tell him due to data protection laws.

Despite that his accounts are unfrozen and the transactions reversed, I wonder about corporate logic sometimes.