1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I had a client ask if I could do a feature on that, but I had to turn it down by pointing out the Pi 4 won't go over 1.75GHz no matter how cold it gets and thus extreme cooling is entirely pointless.

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

True, though I'm sure we can try some form of total immersion cooling? Probably work quite well as its not too hot. Or a Pi powered cup warmer.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

So hungover. Can't remember much about last night, proper blackout. In lots of pain as can't take my painkillers, that's probably also adding an opiate come-down to the hangover. Just about holding down water now. I'll probably be craving Chinese in a few hours, but as it's already nearly midnight here, that'll have to wait. I do have a bag of niknaks and some pizza in the fridge, but it won't hit the spot like a dirty great big greaseball Chinese.

But, at least it wasn't me who flooded one side of the Tchaikovsky suite we had for the night. :jawdrop:

adidan likes this.
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

****ing neighbours

new tenants moved in November last year, between the slamming of doors/windows resonating through the walls now they've got a new dealer turning up and I have to now put up with the constant smell of filthy marijuana constantly getting into my house.

I've lost the landlords number as well so I'm stuck between plod or paying the land registry to find his details again. :miffed:

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Saw a dude on Twitter try to cook a small piece of chicken on the Pi 4, apparently not realising that 80°C ain't going to do much if there's only 4W of grunt behind it. (He declared the chicken 'cooked' after about eight hours, but thankfully didn't try to prove his point by actually eating it.)

6. legoman

I'd imagine a cup warmer could work?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Depends how patient you are: with just 4W of power behind it, assuming a cupful (237 cubic centimetres, based on a measuring cup style cup) of water that starts at room temperature (21 degrees here at the moment) and ends at 70 degrees, you'd be waiting... three and a half hours. That's assuming 100% percent efficiency and no loss of energy, so realistically you'd be waiting NaN hours.

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

How comes?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Internal clock divider: as soon as you go 1MHz over 1.75GHz (which you can do with ease, no additional cooling required) it cuts the CPU to 1GHz. (So if you see anybody doing a feature claiming they've taken the Pi above 1.75GHz, they have no idea what they're doing - they've set a speed above that, it's booted, but they haven't bothered to test it to see if it's actually running at that speed.)

It's something that's likely to be addressed in a future firmware update, 'cos there's plenty of headroom in the silicon, but it's well down the queue behind "get the thermals under control" and "enable PXE and USB boot."

10. legoman

May have to upgrade the processor, surely you have a Prescott CPU an board lurking somewhere, you could literally cook an egg with it.

But yeah maths is solid it would be hopeless, it may help keep something warm for longer but nothing more. My mind was fuzz yesterday a mix of painkillers and anti inflammatory stuffs, which leads me seamlessly to the ridiculous pain in my back. Its all gone rather firm around the base which I don't think its meant to.

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Cooking with hardware is actually a project we have in the works

IanW and legoman like this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Bindun: I was a moderator on The Overclocking Store forums when Troubadour cooked an egg on an AMD Athlon using a shim made of 2p coins and a foil pan.

IanW and legoman like this.
  13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We're planning on using a threadripper.

14. legoman

Threadrippers wider so a double coin stack? Or a block of something else with good heat conduction.

I'm sure back in the CPC days they did it, may have been an AMD chip, the Bartons got toasty from memory if you clocked them, I remember my 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor being bunged on a little thermaltake top down cooler :grin:. It worked, but the 120mm was a delta so I'd hope it would! Relying purely on the stupid amounts of air pressure to blast the heat away .

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Wondering whether or not I made the right decision in changing jobs.

There are a few issues bothering me which I don't think I'll go into, but I think I was looking for more Ops and less Dev in a "DevOps engineering" role... Knowing that I have a 1-week notice period between now and Christmas also means that the idea of going contracting is constantly lurking in the back of my mind.

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you are going contracting, have a decent wodge saved up, there are loads of contract roles around but (i) they tend to look for exact experience in the exact systems/technology/services/industry that they are hiring for to (ii) weed out the hundreds of applications they get via (ii) AI (i.e. machine learning) application processing, it is rare that you actually speak to someone to sell yourself and finally, (iv) the environment is incredibly ageist.

I have just landed a contract after taking (admittedly generous) redundancy in January (after 10 years perm), it depresses me how far the contract seeking experience has fallen. I thought during my previous 11 years of contracting that the agencies and process were bad, they have got even worse.

17. legoman

So, I did some gardening a couple of weeks back tidying the front garden trimming bits. Namely next doors hedge which had grown into a patch of flowers I had.
    Trimmed it neatly even disposed of the clippings myself when I could have just tossed them into their land.
    Two days later I noticed all my privit hedging way dying only in the middle. Thought weird but it has turned hot. Then the next day I noticed my cordyline looked a bit sad so looked at it onto to find it's been cut, not snapped but cut.

Went to go to work this morning an one of them from next door was out smoking, an made the sarcastic comment "should stop cutting things look what happened to your plants" laughed an walked off.
    So basically he's admitting he killed my plants for trimming his hedge.
    Fuming to say the least.

18. legoman

Double post

19. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Have a hospital appointment this afternoon which I'm not overly excited for, mainly because according to the NHS website I'm supposed to have done a certain level of 'prep' for it which I wasn't told through my GP nor a letter which probably means I've waited months for nothing. I could be wrong but I feel like I might end up being turned away and having it rescheduled.

Also I've pretty much put all the weight I'd lost straight back on, I was losing it in prep for a holiday this weekend just so I didn't feel like a complete slob going swimming. I'm disappointed in myself and I'm back to feeling crap inside, I stopped doing cardio to try pack on some muscle and all I've done is just give myself time to eat, I never even lifted the weights more than once, when I come back next week I'm going to hit some cardio hard.

With gaining weight and resorting to borrowing more money I feel like I've taken massive steps backwards from where I was earlier in the year....

20. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Instead of giving me a refund, PayPal wants me to ship (proven!) counterfeit goods back to China, which would:
    A. probably cost me as much as cost me a lot more than the item itself.
    B. be completely illegal.

F### PayPal.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2019