1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Fingers crossed, mate! How did it go? And, maybe more importantly, when did it end?

Goatee likes this.
  2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Hopefully he still had his watch on afterwards...

Goatee likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C No liability accepted as a result of this post

You'd damn well have to pay me four figures a day to work with SAP software again :grin:

In all srsnss, best of luck with it.

Goatee, MLyons and Pete J like this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

Trains. And the trainline app. Want to go from Birmingham to Cardiff? Ooo sorry they're all cancelled. But you can go via London, turning a direct 2hr journey to a 5 hour, 2 change journey. I had been checking the trains on the trainline app throughout the afternoon and it looked like there wasn't much of a problem, the odd one slightly delayed. Only that was looking at future ones, nowhere did it say that every train since 12.30 had been cancelled or that there was any disruption on that route. Thanks for the heads up, ass holes!

Oh it gets better. Just seen that one has no long left Birmingham, only half hour after I had been told to go via London and I've just left Coventry, so can't even get off and go back. ****ing brilliant.

Update: an hour and a half after I should have arrived in Cardiff, I'm sat on my 4th train of the day, waiting to leave Paddington. On the plus side, it hasn't been as harsh on my hernia as I thought it would be, although did manage to bag myself a seat with more legroom on he Euston train.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2019
  5. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

My final interviewer didn’t dial in at midnight, so sent a chase up at 00:08 and then a ‘I’m off to bed mail’ at 00:15.

My guess is the muppet from HR messed it up again. Interviews all went well (at least from my end) and I had a few offers of ‘if this doesn’t work out, hit me up and we’ll talk’ from non project based stakeholder interviewers, so really happy. Should find out end of next week.

I would be hire number 4 on the program, with something like 200 full time team members across the whole program when up and running. Getting in early and near the top!

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the ****ing european union!

Was going to buy a new 2020 Can am Outlander XXC next year only to now find the EU has ruled that its bollocks must be cut and it's ECU limited to 60mph. I'm not paying £15k for an 1000cc for it to be limited to the performance of a bloody entry level 570:wallbash:

/rage

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Mouse wheel is dying, again.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They're so crap these days. It's always what fails on my mice. Always.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I have a long history of mouse wheel failures. My last 4 mice I think have been replaced because of this. I figure it's because A: I use the mouse button for functions more than average and B: Making something that moves and is also a button is mechanically tricky. That said I do find it a bit irritating that they seem to die in a period that is warranty + a bit.

I've just pulled the trigger on a new Roccat that was on sale, since they seem to have a good reputation for build quality and quality wheels in particular. That said this is coming from a Logitech who aren't exactly considered shabby.

10. Vault-Tec

I had a £160 Steel series mouse I picked up on sale for £40. Scroll wheel died. I had a £90 Razer mouse, scroll wheel died.

It was so frustrating, because no matter how much I spent I couldn't buy quality. They were all made in China regardless of how much I spent.

I can't remember the name of my last mouse but I got it very cheap via the deals thread on here. I've since replaced that with a Dell mouse that is made by Logitech and that's been good also.

But yeah, 3 or 4 in a row died of scroll wheel failure. I figured out the issue with the Steelseries, but sadly I was clumsy with the superglue and glued it stiff lol.

But yeah, all plastic on a £160 mouse. Not what you'd expect tbh.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

The mouse wheel on my rat7 is a bit iffy, sometimes a reload results in a weapon swap instead. Don't they know this is life or death?

In other news, I could lose my job. "medical capability meeting" has been scheduled for Wednesday. They best have their chequebook handy.

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

My MX518 from back when it was introduced still works, so does my Mionix Naos 7000 and I also have a working G403 around here somewhere. I'm using a Glorious Model O glossy right now and loving it.

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

****ing public folder migrations.

Did all the steps as per ms docs, I know they work, having done it before.

Get an error that is documented once. And with a solution. That doesn't work.

Try multiple other things. Lose mind.

Roll back all work done to this point.

Redo exactly the same commands. This time it works. Five hours later. Instead of after hour one. **** you public folders.

14. Vault-Tec

FFS.

So the last time I removed PCIE pins I was dreadfully out of practice and in a bit of a rush. I snapped one side of the dual sided pin removal tool. I wasn't that fussed I have had it years, and I doubt I will ever use it again. But, I did need it one more time as I need to make a custom cable up that feeds the PCIE lanes on the Alienware board I have. Any way, I set about it by putting it in one side at a time and gently twisting to push each pin down. It was far less aggressive than the "two at once" method and worked really well. Then it entered my head.... "What if this thing snaps? I'm going to be well f*****g screwed !".

Got to the last pin out of 16 and guess what? it snapped. In sheer panic (I'm drenched in sweat now !) I ended up going about it with a tool that shouldn't be used for removing pins. Made the plug a little wonky but I think it will be OK.

Not only that but the last braided end out of 32 ends decided it was too fat to fit the socket. WTF are the odds of 1. the tool snapping on the last pin and 2. That being the only braid out of 32 ends that doesn't fit?

15. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Currently Rebuilding

Got my new laptop. Has Linux Mint 19.2. I like the setup, but I can't get GW2 to play because Lutris doesn't support my video card at all. (GT 750M 2GB.) I need Windows. I have a COA on the bottom of the laptop.

My download speed averages 60kb/sec.

Windows is a 5GB download. I can create an ISO, but I have no flash drive and this computer is too thin for an optical drive. I need a sneakernet copy of Windows, and I don't have anyone to get it for me. I even have a neighbor who is the head IT person for the city i live in and I can't ask him because we barely speak. He's just weird like that. Good guy, just keeps to himself.

For all you Brits, I envy your internet. All I can get here is tethering my cell phone to my laptop. There are no plans to ever extend internet here. I keep hoping for Starlink.

Any Americans got a flash drive with a bootable Win10 ISO that I can borrow? USPS is WAY faster than my internet connection.

16. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

Do you have the correct nvidia drivers on mint? I have a 780M and guild wars 2 runs fine on Ubuntu once you've gone through all the hoops of setting up DX9 to Vulkan

17. KayinBlack

For some reason I'm stuck on the 390 one. I know 418 was the last one that was released for my card, but I am not sure how to get it. I also am unsure of how to set up D9VK since the only instructions I found were Arch-centric and as far as I know pacman isn't a Mint command.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

For Mint 19 iirc -

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install nvidia-driver-418 nvidia-settings
    IIRC you've got to do that one yourself - https://github.com/Fincer/dxvk-wine-autobuilder

19. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Shots fired (at your ISP)...

I would hope that Royal Mail isn't quicker. o_O

20. KayinBlack

It's installing 430. Is this a problem? I didn't think 430 supports my card.