1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Try the head offices of charities - not all have shops. You may find a lot more different type of roles available that way, the shops only have the remit to engage people to serve in the shops whereas the head offices tend to have dedicated volunteer seeking people.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Why does nobody want to employ you?

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

It's retail experience I'm trying to get though. I never get any retail jobs I go for because I have 0 experience (even though literally everyone says you don't need it, this is the excuse I get for not employing me). There also aren't head offices close enough to me I could walk. Getting expensive (also I'm rural so we don't have much at all) public transport to work for free isn't something I can afford to do.

I can only assume I was a dictator in a past life? I took redundancy from my career in 2007 all ready to take up the jobs that had been offered to me while every single consultancy we ever had in tried to head-hunt me... oh, 2007 is when everyone went bankrupt or downsized... yay. Then I had a big gap in employment and then the last 2 jobs I managed to get, my employers went bankrupt with no notice and didn't pay me my last month's wages. I did get a trial day in a restaurant recently but had to leave it at that because standing around doing nothing for hours and not being allowed to sit down (then walking 1.5hrs home) destroyed my back (which is already fairly broken form my old job that involved 10+miles of walking daily). I'm getting really old now, my health isn't great anymore so doing jobs that are super physical takes its toll. I just miss being in an office and working on computers but I'll never get back into IT after all these years away from it. I do lots of freelancing side-jobs which are great and I enjoy them, but some months I only earn about $12. Working in a shop for a couple of days a week would do really, but none of them want me until I get experience, but I can't get experience because they only want schoolkids for junior jobs (so utterly sick of "it's for the kiddies really") and I get over-looked for all the volunteer roles. This latest one they did actually contact my first reference within a day of me applying. But that was 3 weeks ago and I've heard nothing :(

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Why can no one make anything of any quality anymore? I want to find the people that say "yeh it's fine, cut those corners" and kill them. Slowly. Painfully. Very very painfully.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Why do you think I make everything I can the old way? That bow I was scraping on will outlast me.

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You mean everyone, then.

Went on holiday last year. Cost me 2x the year before, same place. Not even a sachet of complimentary coffee or a tea bag ffs.

Just think, it saves them 10p on a £350 holiday! Most likely brought on by this "staycation" nonsense.

Makes me laugh. Something isn't popular so it's far cheaper yet it then becomes popular so the greed sky rockets.

Like chicken wings. Those things used to go in the bin yet now a restaurant wants £8 for six of them ffs.

Thankfully the last few "high quality" items I bought have been. Or I think I'd have saved up for a gun and shot myself in the head.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Vodafone or Telekom decided to limit my DSLAM max to 80k instead of 100k. Why? Nobody knows. Well, that's my chance to tell them to fix it or get lost because legally I can now cancel my contract with 14 days notice. Consumer rights Cheesecake.

8. The_Crapman

We've decided to postpone the wedding. I'm still crippled and realistically there's no end in sight. A year ago we would never have thought we'd still be in this situation, or even worse so. Lauren is absolutely flat out and beat down from work, constantly having her rest days taken off her for training or court appearances as well as doing a degrees worth of coursework. There's very little time available for planning the wedding, very little energy, very little enjoyment. There's no point in carrying on regardless, spend a fortune and not enjoy it, probably and up hating and resenting the whole ordeal.

It's definitely the right thing to do, but it sucks real hard.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Ah dude that sucks donkey balls.

That said, it's the best decision - you both want to be in a place where you can enjoy it more than it sounds like you could at the moment.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've never seen the point in spunking thousands on a wedding. Ever.

If you love someone and want to marry them and have the piece of paper then just do it. If you just want a party throw one on the cheap.

My cousin was living in a council house and spent thousands on a big wedding. I don't get it. Next day it's all over and you're back to normal life thousands down.

Weekly_Estimate and xaser04 like this.
  11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yup, exactly. We spent around £1500 and got 2 weddings (civil and handfasting), all 3 rings (2 wedding, plus engagement), my wife's dress, and honeymoon out of that. Oh and half the reception as well (other folks insisted on getting the drinks and stuff).

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Each to their own, some think it's more than worth the cost.

bawjaws likes this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As my wife puts it, roughly, it should be about the getting married, not spending a load of money.

We spent literally hundreds on ours, even including the cost of a post-wedding meal her daughter and eldest son insisted on paying for. Around 10 guests (I have no family, effectively) and total spend for the day under 500 knicker. We had a great day and no debt.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yep.
    Urgh, sorry to hear this, man. But as you say, better to put it back until you're both in a better place to enjoy not only the day itself but all of the buildup that goes along with it. Hopefully you both get to that better place soon.

The_Crapman likes this.
  15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I paid £400+ for the engagement ring alone. Is it worth it? Maybe. Is she worth it? **** yes!

I don't want to spend years paying back debt for the wedding, rings, holidays and whatnot, but I won't let money decide about the one time I'll stick a ring on my future-wife's finger. This better be THE wedding for all the 10 people max attending.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  16. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Think I was in a similar boat to this; paid a decent amount on the engagement ring 'cos I came into some money, but by the time we got married, I don't think either of us was working so friends & family chipped in here & there to cover it... one of my cousins wasn't gonna be able to make it on the day, but she fronted for the registration/licence, bans, (w/e it's called that we had to do, before we got married at the registry office), wife's friend laid on the reception, my best mate paid for the car (on top of agreeing to be best man)... we all had a great day and that was what mattered.

13 years & change later, were still both going great guns.

Mr_Mistoffelees and perplekks45 like this.
  17. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi guys, well, I hope I won't look like an intruder in this thread, I usualy never interract in other forums than those related to modding or hardware stuff, alghough I follow and read regulary in many other forums; first of all cuz I really enjoy this smart, varied and open mind community of people on Bittech, and also because I can find here, various topics and conversations, corresponding to almost all of my points of interest. So it became the best place I found to read and learn every days, and finally because one of my goals is to improve my english, and I did a lot here, these last years.
    So this very very huge and neverending thread is called "what's ruining your life right now", and the latests posts are related to wedding, and reading among posts led me mull over about my own situation, about what's ruining my life right now...yesterday's was valentine's day, and it cannot be a good day when your loved one isn't present...My situation is not a very common one, I am not married yet, though I have someone in my life, but she is not living with me, neither in my country, and that's where it's blocking.
    I haven't been lucky with my first love, like many of us for different reasons, after several years we had to separate, we had no kids yet and this was the controversial issue, she did not want to have children :oldconfused:, even we were both 34yo, odd, unusual, but it was like that. She warned me that she did not want to experience pregnancy in her life when we met, but I thought she would change her mind with time, but she didn't, on the countrary, she seemed to be more and more hostile to it, and I even learned by someone a year after breaking up, that she had an uterine cancer, and was very happy about it :wallbash:. Anyway that's past, we splitted and it took me some time to chew enough to swallow it but I managed :grin:.
    I used to travel a lot abroad and I still do, mostly in south east Asia, and in 2015 I went to the Philippines for the second time because I really adored this country, and this is where I found love again. Great ? yes and no, :sad:, I don't know if some of you have been there but laws about marriage and divorce are really special...so the woman I met was a mother with a young daughter. She was separated, but married, and in Philippines, divorce is not allowed, and even if there is a kind of a procedure they call "annulment", it's mostly vain and certainly not affordable for people there, as the cost is totally insane regarding the level of salaries. :miffed:
    She was from poor condition, she get married at 18 and get pregnant the year after, and it turned out her husband has prooven to be a violent man, she was regulary beaten even pregnant, and went to hospital several times before she complained to police and her husband replied by forsaking her with a baby and no ressources. He actually lives with another woman and they have children.
    So I decided to afford this annulment, as there was no way to marry otherwise, and we initiated the process in 2016. It cost me several thousands of euros of course, and I finished to pay in 2017, of course she has been summoned dozens of time, forced to come in Manila court, (she lives very far from Manila in north Luzon), but she never failed to go. Actually, 3 years have passed , but they still did not accept it :miffed: she is still regulary called for interviews in Manila court, like if there was anything else they don't already know about her. I try to come to visit her at least twice a year there, but without annulment, no wedding possible, and without wedding, she cannot come here to live with me, of course they refuse to give visas to women, and the tourist visa is like annulment, it cost a fortune for 90 days of freedom, and she must go back.
    Here is what's ruining my life right now, I hope I won't bother anyone with my sad story, but it's good to share sometimes, I seldom speak about myself but this morning I don't know why, I felt talkative..:grin: luckilly I am always positive and I never lost hope to succeed, neither my GF.
    Good day to all members and readers.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2020
    adidan, Vault-Tec and Pete J like this.
  18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Corsair's warrenty.

pay premium for a mechanical keyboard from them, comes with a 2 year warranty, board fails 11 months in, get RMA'd a more advanced (revised so this problem doesn't occur again) model, board fails again with same problem 14 months in.

"sorry sir the board we RMA'd you doesn't come with a fresh warranty as we only honor the warranty of the original device, but we'll be generous and replace it for you but this new one we'll send you only comes with a 30 day warranty"

first time I've ever ran into anyone not offering a fresh warranty on an RMA'd product, had to bite the inside of my cheeks when accepting their generosity, will seriously question if I ever want to buy corsair again. might go back to logitech tbh, they offer a a fresh 2 year on every replacement unless that's magically changed since i last bought them (googles warranty info)

19. The_Crapman

I bought some shoes from next and the sole on the heel(s) kept falling off, particularly if the got wet. The heel seemed to be made from compressed cardboard. This happened every 2-3 months so i'd take them back and get them replaced, until about 18months later and they had stopped making them.

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

As I recall this is the norm.