1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I just don't get it. I mean it's bad enough leaving dog crap around but to go to the effort of putting it in a bag and then leaving it, especially in the woods, in plastic?!? I mean just wt absolute f?

Pete J likes this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not quite, though the original plan was to ditch i386 entirely.

EDIT:
    Printer still works, CUDA still works, GIMP needed a bit of a kick, and bitmap fonts are totally broken - apparently support for PCF fonts has gone away. Thankfully, I found someone had done the hard work of converting my favourite bitmap font into the new format, so the day is saved!

Last edited: 22 Jun 2020
    Arboreal likes this.
  3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

EDIT: Nvm. You already had the update in the bottom of the article.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...why are you linking to an article that just says exactly what the article I wrote says?

And, as you can see from the whole post of mine you quoted, i386 support for non-Steam stuff is still very much alive and kicking in Ubuntu 20.04 - note the whole "printer still works" part, which given it's 32-bit and not Steam wouldn't be the case if Canonical was only supporting Steam.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I said mainly not only, and I edited my post before you replied. Not trying to be confrontational, just informational, we're saying the exact same thing except you have a further example of i386 packages they're still supporting (CUPS).

6. Gareth Halfacree

Fair enough, though you actually said:
    Which isn't the case: they are including most i386 libraries, albeit frozen, and accepting any submissions from developers who find their packages don't work because a given library isn't included any more.

But that's by-the-by: all I care about is that my printer works!

yuusou likes this.
  7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

No need to worry about your printer until 2030 now!

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  8. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

The apparent refusal of bit-tech to delete my account...

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It's a shame he's blocked me :hehe:

adidan likes this.
  10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

You may want to PM @MLyons about this otherwise you'll just keep adding more posts to the posts you're trying to get removed.

Edit: post edited to remover username

Last edited: 23 Jun 2020
    Guest-44638 likes this.
  11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As @adidan says, message a mod or admin directly as that's the best way to get it sorted out.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2020
    Guest-44638 likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

From what I remember of forums deleting an account is almost impossible, or on certain BB types causes serious problems. You can't just remove a user and all of their posts without wrecking something.

In future I suggest not signing up to anywhere if you feel you want to vanish along with everything you posted when you've had enough.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I seem to recall this being discussed a while ago, and this being the reason that accounts are anonymised.

But, yeah, admins/staff are the ones to take this up with. Send a formal GDPR request to The Media Team, if you feel you have to - privacy policy is here: https://www.themediateam.net/privacy/

Guest-44638 likes this.
  14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Something close to it has been done on these very forums before, or at least users have had their names changed to "deleted user x". I think you'd have to go through and edit all of your posts out, though, and any quotes of your posts would still show (along with your original name iirc).

Guest-44638 likes this.
  15. The_Crapman

Just almost wrecked the motherboard armour I've been working on. Had it nicely brushed, just needed to take it off the piece of wood I'd mounted it too. Aaaaaaand it's scratched. :duh::wallbash::waah::waah::waah:

Looked quite deep, felt deep too, swore a lot, managed to get the metal off the wood, swore a bit more, almost cried, but managed to bring it back from the brink and sand it out. Think it felt deeper than it was as the edges of the gouge would have protruded from the displaced material.

It was then very carefully cleaned and quickly sprayed. It was looking good, added a second light coat, still good, one bit looked like it wasn't quite as covered so did a third coat, at which point I got a couple of spitty bits :sigh: I think it will probably be fine once it dries, but I should have left it. Always have to overdo things when they aren't quite perfect and then they get worse. It's so annoying. :grr:

Vault-Tec, adidan and Arboreal like this.
  16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hang in there Crappy, don't lose heart.

MLyons and The_Crapman like this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Indeed and it is a massive ballache. Years ago someone sent me death threats online. I spoke to the guy who ran the forum who I knew, who obviously decided to side with the guy. Not only that but the guy was putting my name (full name and address) on the forum along with his threats. He was a drunken fool, but that isn't what bothered me. What bothered me was Google, and the fact that what I used to do (emulation) caused me not to get jobs in Atlantic City as they saw me as a threat.

Any way, the guy who ran the forum didn't give a toss so I went to another friend of mine who was hosting the forum. He deleted it. Like, the whole thing. I didn't ask him to, but he wasn't happy. So, the same person who ran the forum who I really had no problem with apart from the fact he would not remove my details and put in a filter to stop people saying my name in a sentence thought he would be clever and spent the next 48 hours setting up a new server with another host and uploaded the forum again. This time the hosts gave him a choice. They either delete my account and all of my posts or they would remove it completely again. This time another mate of mine who was an admin on there talked some sense into the forum owner and yeah, it took them about a week to manually go back and delete (well edit and remove all text from) my posts one by one by one. Then they renamed the account and put a filter in (much to their distaste).

However, no one has slandered, defamed or threatened Mr H so I just think it is all totally unnecessary. Maybe it will be a lesson as I said, not to go places you just want to up and vanish from without a trace because it really isn't that easy.

And that was then when life was nowhere near as busy as now. Screw would I want to edit and remove over 1300 posts.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well, I think that if he wants to be "deleted" then that's his choice. Not for us to decide if it's necessary or unnecessary, is it?

And yeah, your point about things being permanent on the internet is a valid one, but the point that I was trying to make is that users have been deleted from these very forums in the past (***** is one name that springs to mind). So if someone feels strongly enough about it that they too want to be deleted then fair play to them. But as I said earlier, the way to expedite that is to message the admins directly.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2020
  19. The_Crapman

It's a roller coaster that's for sure. The fan cover arrived today, fitted it in temporarily and it looked awesome. Tidied up a few of the edges and made sure they were nicely sanded out. Got the piece mounted and brushed, looked fricken sweet, was totally stoked. Then scratched it, hit rock bottom. Rescued it, felt utter relief. Got it sprayed, looking sweet, then potentially spoil it again. It might look fine once it's properly dried/cured, just have to wait and see.
    [​IMG]

To:
    [​IMG]

And then back again.

adidan and Arboreal like this.
  20. Vault-Tec

I feel your pain. Last year I spent two weeks painting, sanding, buffing and wet sanding a bike. It was the best work I had ever done with spray cans. I literally spent an entire day just removing the paint from the welds with a Dremel wire brush and dental pick.

[​IMG]

Beautiful root beer candy by HOK. I then started to build it ,installing the cranks first. I was so proud of myself I gave them a victory spin in smugness, only to very quickly realise that I had not fitted the spacers. So the arm came whizzing around and twatted the frame, taking it right down to bare metal :(

[​IMG]

As you can see out of frustration I then spun it back the other way. So now it has two "oops" stickers on it. But yeah, totally just wanted to sob.

The_Crapman likes this.