1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

2. Nikhil09

Nikhil09 What's a Dremel?

Office work makes it difficult for me to play online with my squad!!

goldstar0011 likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I can't play Flight Sim 2020, it makes my PC cry :'(

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No config to go down to 480p?

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It only seems to change the render resolution and doesn't change the actual display resolution. This monitor is pretty good at scaling so I often run games in 1920*1200, my PC really can't cope with the native 2560*1600.

Changing the display resolution = looks really damn good, can barely tell the monitor is scaling.
    Changing just the render resolution = looks like ass.

To be honest, I just need to come to terms with the fact that my PC with its 8 year old CPU, 4 year old GPU, and single stick of 8GB DDR3, simply cannot keep up with modern games any more. I want an upgrade but it'll be a while away yet, there are unfortunately more important things to spend my money on!

6. perplekks45

Sounds like you'll contribute to the projected 2.6bn of MSFS-related hardware sales. :thumb:

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Not ruining, just upsetting. I've spent the afternoon replacing the front struts on my car but couldn't finish the job because one of the strut-to-knuckle bolts refused to move. Penetrant oil, lump hammer, and even my small propane torch failed. I really wanted to do this DIY project, I even purchased a torque wrench and scrolled the net to find the torque specs for my car... Oh well, I'll have to bring it to my mechanic next week.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Drill it out, grind it off, buy an impact driver; keep going man!

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I would't be so quick to judge your PC - MS FS is THE hardest game to run right now. Hell, it brings a 2080Ti to its knees at 1440p, let alone 4k. If you're hitting 30FPS with good settings, you're doing well.

I'm still rocking the Titans I bought over 4 years ago and they're still going strong, even without SLI. I know they were top end at the time, but still, to be holding out this long is unprecedented.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Byron C and Pete J like this.
  11. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Realising eBay business sellers don’t get a number of free listings per month the hard way... Going from a private seller with 1320 free listings per month to zero...

15-20 items were ending today but mostly made up of old personal junk that is so niche it will take months and months to sell. Unfortunately I expected them to relist happily with no issues

Turns out free listings don’t exists and I got charged 36p per item which over time is going to be bad news for the 100 or so items that aren’t moving... now I understand why it suggested setting up a private eBay to separate private and business selling!

Now either I pay for an eBay shop subscription to get a monthly allocation of free listings or I end a bunch of stuff and go through the headache of juggling two ebays for private and business..

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Just got a shipping notification for an artbook I've been after for years.

Arrives 29th October :duh:

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Get a can of seafoam, and beg steal borrow or buy an impact gun. I had three days of fun trying to remove a bolt out of an engine, borrowed a cordless impact gun, came off in seconds. If you know anyone with a small portable air one it will come off really easily.

14. Vault-Tec

Amazon. GRR.

I ordered some over priced drill bits (2.8mm) because I snapped all of mine. They were £11 for 10. Without Prime I could have got them for about £3. Any way, I added a couple of bottles of vape juice.

The guy showed up around 3pm. Demanded to see my mother's passport or driving license. She's 80. Obviously she has either, given her flying days are long behind her and she has never owned a car. She showed him her bus pass, but he just muttered something in another language and stormed off. With the parcel.

I phoned Amazon, asking why it is that they continually demand ID for a bottle of PG/VG with no NIC and he said that it is not policy to demand a passport or driving license. Just a photo ID. So her bus pass should have been fine, like it always is (though I still don't see why you would need proof from an 80 year old woman that she is 18).

Any way, off went the parcel and I am now stuck. I wanted to get the board in my NAS today but I guess I won't be. Assholes.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was once carded by an Amazon delivery person... for this pen torch. Yeah, figure that one out.
    More than "should," it's literally listed by Amazon as one of the officially recognised proof of ages for Amazon Logistics:

upload_2020-8-28_16-15-25.png

That only counts if it was Amazon Logistics, mind you - if it was via Royal Mail, you can't use a bus pass:

upload_2020-8-28_16-16-3.png

16. Vault-Tec

I know :(

I initially got Hawaii? or wherever their CS is based (they have lovely cute accents) but she put me over to the UK and I spoke to some Scottish guy. He said yeah, a bus pass is 100% sweet so he has filed a complaint against the driver. He said any photo ID is good for Amazon.

Beginning to wish I hadn't done this NAS now. I mean it is 90% done, but had I known just how much work it would be I wouldn't have bothered. Not in money, as thus far it's not cost me a penny more than at the beginning, but just the sheer amount of work.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oo, thank you for the recommendation, Mr H. That has a 20% voucher on it which is valid for today only.

Gareth Halfacree and Arboreal like this.
  18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well. Seems that the cancer my girlfriend's mother has been arguing with has spread to the brain. Metastatic was mentioned, and from what little I remember of googling it years ago, that's rarely good.

Eugh.

19. perplekks45

All the best to you and your family. It's time to be strong now, as cliché as that may sound. You'll get through it and there's still a lot of positive stuff to look forward to in your lives after this. Even though it might not always look that way.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, it's worse for her though. One of her friends mums died earlier this year after a long argument with a brain cancer of some sort, and the decline towards the end was hard to hear about. I think that's weighing heavily on my girlfriend's thoughts at the moment.

I'm crossing fingers and toes that it's either operable or treatable or something, but I'm sceptical given that the mother's recent treatment plans included 'taking a break from chemo' to do some expensive dietary alternative treatment plan. Obviously not the time to bring that up, I expect people are thinking about that (imo foolish) choice anyway.