1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's less ruining and more irksome.

Two hour drive to look at a few things, one of the things is goosed (also a Mac, so no easy to find diagnostics LEDs..) one is absolutely fine but being windows and on loan to a Mac user, something tells me they're just being a finicky sod about it. The new terminal has a user that no one knows the password to, so that's going to get wicked interesting. And the guy who is coming to break their internet is not here yet. I feel like I need to get my BT head on, given that there's a time 'slot' not a time.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

No worries man. Hope it gets sorted quick.

Byron C likes this.
  3. enbydee

enbydee Active Member

Honestly the BBC Reith Serif font is getting on my nerves; I find it spidery and disconcerting on the news.

4. Byron C

Byron C And now a word from our sponsor

Seller has accepted the return. They initially offered a 50% refund so I could repair the screen; if repair parts had been readily available then I'd have considered it, but part availability for an 8 year old machine is patchy at best.

Vault-Tec and David like this.
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yes.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean, he has a point.

I REGRET NOTHING.

perplekks45, IanW and adidan like this.
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

There was a badly advised comment in its place. i just couldn't delete the post entire.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

[​IMG]

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  10. Byron C

OK, so, all packed up as well as I can for return, copious amounts of tape, an outside layer of plain brown packing paper, return slip enclosed, label attached to the front, etc... All the things you're supposed to do when sending a parcel.

Get to the Post Office and the lady behind the counter tells me that they've sent the wrong label. Package weight is 2.88KG, but the label reads 0-2KG (which I hadn't noticed before now). Cheapest return they could offer over the counter is £8.99....

Oh for ****'s sake...

I take the parcel home with me so I can sort this out without having to put my hand in my pocket. Out of interest, I check Royal Mail's price finder and realise that it would actually cost me at least £26.60 to send with appropriate insurance.

It's 168 miles from me to the seller's actual address. My motorbike gets at least 70 miles per gallon when driving on fast roads like motorways and dual carriageways - in SensibleUnits, that's 15.4 miles per litre. So a round trip would take 21.8 litres of fuel, give or take ((168*2)/15.4). Now I don't buy the cheapest of cheap fuel for the bike, I tend to get a premium fuel because I use so little. Let's call it £1.30 a litre (that's overstating it, but what the hell). You're looking at £28.36 for me to chuck this laptop in a rucksack and drive it to the seller myself; it is almost cheaper for me to take it there myself than send it via Royal Mail.

There's no option in eBay's return process for 'You [eBay] or the seller done f'ed up and gave me the wrong label'. I don't know whether the seller paid for the label or eBay provided it, so I've no idea WTF I'm supposed to do now. I'm sure as **** not paying that much for the return postage out of my own pocket just because some eBay algorithm or the seller ****ed up.

It seems this is not uncommon, and the most frequently cited resolution is to contact an eBay customer service rep (or have one call you). So... Balls to it. I'm going to go get slightly drunk and play on Warzone with some mates until the wee hours of tomorrow morning. Future Byron can deal with that crap; that guy's a sucker, he'll do anything I tell him to.

IanW and Pete J like this.
  11. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

Removing all the packaging, power adaptor and everything else, slap the label on it and see if it come to under 2kg.

My view is if that's all they paid to return, that's all they getting.....

12. Byron C

Nah, I don't want to give him any ammunition to dispute the refund...

IanW, Goatee and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  13. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Cat Lies Down on Broadway

Yodel claim to have delivered a parcel at 13:50 today, left it in the back porch. Myself and my wife were both home, the back door was open, we don't have a back porch and we do have a noisy jack russell that would have gone mental if someone opened our front gate, let alone gone through the alleyway and through the back gate to our open back door.

Edit: It was something my wife ordered from Very and they have emailed her, following my wife's complaint, to inform her they have issued a full refund.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2020
  14. Byron C

I think I'm going to have to reinstall my PC tonight.

I never reinstalled after I moved from a dual CPU workstation to a slightly more sensible setup, but up until now everything has been working fine. I can't get Windows to recognise a hard disk. I've tried swapping cables and motherboard ports but that makes no difference. The disk shows in BIOS and is fully usable in both Xubuntu Live and GParted Live. But Windows simply refuses to see it.

Ironically the reason I'm trying to add another disk is so that I have more space on which to back up critical files, thereby making the job of re-installing a million times easier.

EDIT: OK, panic over... Dodgy ****ing SATA cables, weren't it? The fact that I could get two separate Linux live USB distros to recognise the drives and write to them made me thing the hardware was fine.

All three drives, present and correct...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Sep 2020
  15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Further to my last post in this thread, the sh*t-for-brains from Yodel had delivered the package to a neighbour 3 doors away, she found it this morning in her back porch. The number on her front door is big and easy to read, just as ours is and the package was correctly addressed...

16. perplekks45

Do you really assume the drivers can read and write? Or care about where they drop it off even if they happen to be able to do so?

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

People prefacing a question with the word question. Hungarian notation has gone out of vogue for numerous reasons, I don't think it should be used with sentences either.

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Until the last month we hadn't really had problems with deliveries, during the 8 years we have been kiving here. Now Yodel have effed up and DPD have done it twice. One DPD delivery was several hours late, another never turned up and yet, for 8 years previously, they never once missed a time slot.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2020
  19. perplekks45

Yep, same here. It seems to happen in waves. And across different delivery companies. Strange.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Useless drivers sacked, go to competitor, rinse repeat.

perplekks45 likes this.