1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Lol, no jokes were made at anyone's expense, it was a non-joke.

Serious Business™

Byron C and goldstar0011 like this.
  2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I have just discovered evidence of a mouse in my kitchen (teeny tiny poops and chewed open bags of cereals).

Not actually sure where it's getting in :sigh:

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Relax, mate. I was not making a joke at your expense, I was merely making a not-funny-but-kinda-funny comment in the style which was suggested would/could usually come from you or Dave. It was directed at the original comment to which you didn't react, which is totally fine.

Byron C and Shirty like this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Tricky, I know they can squeeze through unfeasibly small gaps.

**Got it** Rentokil say (just checked) that they can squeeze through a gap the width of a pencil...

Mousetraps with chocolate on worked for me...

ElThomsono likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Peanut butter is hard to resist too.

ElThomsono likes this.
  6. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The size of a pencil, you say :blah:

I've sealed up round some pipe runs with expanding foam and steel wool, we'll see how it goes. The underside of the cupboards is a bit of a state though and I wouldn't be surprised if there are more access points. The house is only 118 years old :miffed:

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Get a young cat that has grown-up on a farm, it's mother will have taught it to hunt well.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I feel like this is the advice my rabbi would give me if I was to complain about my wife and toddler and dog :hehe:

IanW and Shirty like this.
  9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Chair Breaks... Fail #1

decide to check out chairs on Argos as they are advertised as collect today... Add to cart and place order

find product advertised as in stock - collect Today isnt Available till SUNDAY Fail #2

Receive Email saying there was an Error with my order, and it has been Cancelled Fail #3

Remake order, Error with Payment, Check Bank to find Argos Took the money then failed the Order Fail #4

Check Argos website, apparently it can take 5-7 working days to refund on an order that NEVER EVEN WENT THROGH

Argos.... this is why people shop on Amazon

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Ha! was a bit like that...

I had a farm cat many years ago, he was a very good hunter.

11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I know. I know. It's not like it's a new thing. The cost of graphics cards amazes me at the moment. £2000 in some cases for a RTX3080.

Is there anybody else out there that flat out refuses to pay the over-inflated prices or is this something i'm just going to have to get used to.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

MSRP or bust for me. Also, no longer chasing the highest end simply because gaming doesn't dominate my spending priorities. I have a 1920x1200 screen that I don't anticipate upgrading any time soon. If I do, it'll be to something relatively mid-range, so future proofing isn't a huge concern.

Problem is, most of the consumer base isn't voting with their wallets, so this tomfoolery will continue.

bawjaws likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

<fist-bumps in 16:10>

stonedsurd and bawjaws like this.
  14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Indeedy.

Although I am currently eyeing up a 3840 x 1600 monitor, which I guess is a 24:10 (and definitely not a 21:9, no, definitely not)

stonedsurd likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ah, no! The DVR auto-sleeps if it's not receiving video for a certain length of time! Got through both sides of a 7" and one side of a 12" before it went away. Wonder if I can turn that off in the settings anywhere...

If not, maybe I'll put a Raspberry Pi or something in there playing some random visualisations.

EDIT:
    Aha! Auto-sleep to "off" in the setup menu should fix it. I hope...

Arboreal likes this.
  16. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Not ruining.

Partners mum just called to say she’s received a £175k inheritance cheque after effectively bleeding her dads estate dry. Burning every bridge she possible could with his living grieving wife over money, and leaving nothing in her wake... disgusting, immoral and inhumane behaviour...

Then she calls to get a reaction from us to her new found wealth...

Astounding.

said I couldn’t give less of a **** if I tried

Worth it.

Last edited: 8 May 2021
  17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Well done!

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Post should be split, most of it in this thread, last two lines in the awesome :D

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Other half has been having a really serious sciatica flare up since last Sunday. It happens occasionally, there isn't any specific trigger, and it usually doesn't last much more than 3-5 days. Not this time...

Late morning on Wednesday I heard her scream downstairs - not a shout, or a yell, a scream; I've never moved so fast in my life. She'd got stuck trying to get up off the sofa and couldn't stand up properly because it was so painful. You can't get an appointment with our doctor's surgery, not even a telephone appointment, unless you call at 0800 on the dot - within about 10-15 minutes the appointments for that day are gone and they do not book in advance. She managed to get up and eventually by Thursday morning it had started to ease off so didn't bother calling the docs.

Thursday evening she tried coming upstairs and basically collapsed at the foot of the stairs because it was too painful. She had to lie down on the hallway floor and was completely unable to get up. This was about 2130 and 20 minutes later I called an ambulance; she couldn't even roll over onto her side because it was too painful, and every time I tried to help her up it just made the pain worse. (I also called her mum, who'd been a nurse for nearly 40 years, and she got here around half ten.) We had to wait two hours for an out of hours nurse to call us back and triage. The nurse was satisfied that there was nothing else going on besides sciatica but arranged for an ambulance to administer gas & air to try and help her move. We got a call from the ambulance control room not long after 0200 saying that they're very sorry and are still waiting for a crew to be free. All told, we waited over 5 hours with her lying under a blanket on a hard wooden floor. To make things worse she'd got her period earlier in the day and it was really heavy - I mean 'doubling up on pads' heavy - so she'd had to change her pad while lying on the floor.

Somewhere around 0330 we decided to try and get her moving because we could be waiting all night at this rate, and lying on the floor is not exactly the best way to spend a night. She managed to get onto her hands and knees and crawl over to the sofa; that was still really painful but she managed to sit up and from there I was able to hoist her up to her feet to help get her upstairs to bed. We eventually got settled not long after 0400 (I did cancel the ambulance callout...). Oh and, of course, we had to set an alarm for 0745 so that we could ring the doctors at dead-on 0800, so no chance of a decent night's sleep. She's currently on a cocktail of cocodamol, naproxen, and diazepam, and that's loosened things up enough for her to be able to at least get up and about (even if it still does get incredibly painful after a while).

I've had a couple of hours off this afternoon, but.... There's a mountain of washing up that I've let build up over the last couple of days, there's a cat litter tray that needs sifting, the floor needs vacuuming, I still have to head up to a supermarket (in the rain, on my motorbike) for a few odds and ends at some point soon, and it's going to be time to sort dinner soon. I really can't be ****ed to cook this evening and I don't think it's a good idea to have a takeaway for a fourth day in a row! Does someone wanna come and do dinner for me? :lol:

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I see no issue here.