1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Not using a CRT monitor any more.
    It was always very cathartic punching the living be'jesus out of it when dealing with crappy IT or emails from idiots, but I don't think these here fancy flat screen monitors would be up to the job

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  2. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz What's a Dremel?

Social anxiety is ruining my life. It has been for about 33 years or so. Also education still costing money in Canada is ruining my life. Die commerce die.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

OMFG, please kill me.

My past 2 days (in addition to all my other tasks + the number of 'run update - fails' is simplified):

WSUS chokes on syncing all the new files - 2 sync attempts just hang part way though
    Do WSUS cleanup - Service hangs
    Stop VM, bump it up to 2>12 cores, 4>12GB of ram
    Start VM
    Run cleanup (still hangs after ~20 minutes, saves progress as it goes, so just a couple resets)
    Approve all the obvious updates
    Run client update
    Run next update - fails
    Check WSUS for dependancy patches
    Find obscurely named patch that is required
    run update, get to new feature version
    run update - fails
    Can't find any dependancy patch
    Start approving anything with feature version and x64 in name
    Wait for WSUS to download 5+GB and do its database crap
    run update - fails
    run update - fails
    Pour Whiskey (WFH + updating in off hours Cheesecake (edit: how rude of the forum to assume i like cheesecake))
    Find another obsure patch
    run update
    ~40% of boxes in the test group now on 21H1
    Some get hung up on 2004, so need to start finding the dependency patches again.

EDIT: Ah ha! Approve the enablement packages for 1909,20H2 and 21H1 and disapprove the full fat updates, all sorted for 3+ boxes already! Makes me wonder what would have happend if I had just created a new group with only 21H1 full fat from the start...

Last edited: 18 Jun 2021
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Listen, we take cheesecake very seriously around these parts. Choose your words very carefully....! :grin: EDIT: You've been here almost as long as I have, you ought to be well aware of this! :lol:

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Had some cheesecake just last night (unfortunately shop bought but we don't have a kitchen right now so I think that's ok)

Byron C likes this.
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If you don’t like cheesecake, you are weird.

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Mmmm cheesecake. Best one I ever had used a crushed white chocolate malteaser base with the top made from cream cheese mixed with strawberry jelly to get it to set. Might have to have a crack at making that again.

Pete J likes this.
  8. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I could demolish a key lime pie right around now.
    Time to toddle off and find a low carb version

Vault-Tec and goldstar0011 like this.
  9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Don't like cheesecake or most dairy products for that matter (a bit of cheese on a sandwich or nachos is alright tho). Lactose intolerant as a kid and never developed the taste for it as an adult.

Latest update on the saga:
    Bluetooth drivers incompatible with anything over FU 1903 on some devices- the registry hack to get around it didn't work. Going in this afternoon to see If I can disable in bios.
    Went to request a purchase order and found out that all IT purchase orders are suspended indefinitely. Not even AA batteries for my wireless mouse.
    Same person who instituted the above policy made a boneheaded decision trying to save $6/month on something that should have been handled by IT, causing an ongoing inconvenience to a few employees and an unknown number of customers (who then complained to me) and didn't take kindly to being called out on it.

I'm giving strong consideration to walking away from this job. Just not worth the headache for what they are paying me.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2021
  10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Got offered a job - would be a paycut of ~£15k :(

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Oooof, that's a stinger.

12. MadGinga

yeah, and it would've been a 1.5hr commute minimum (ignoring wfh shenanigans)

Think its a no.

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You're not selling it to me... Looking worse as you add more detail :hehe:

14. MadGinga

the "role" could've (well just could) be really interesting, challenging in the right ways, and would expand my knowledge-base but, with that paycut and the commute it does knock the shine off somewhat.

Add to that the the 2nd offer i received (see the "awesome" thread) being a max 1hr commute (i'm cool with that) and effective parity on pay - its a definite no.

IanW and perplekks45 like this.
  15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Had an item arrive damaged to a buyer, they accused me of sending it wrapped in a black bin liner... how irresponsible I had been. weird considering I'd sent it boxed with void fill and bubble wrap!

Not in the best of moods anyway so immediately retorted angrily, would never send a breakable item wrapped in a bin liner. decided to check the tracking to see what had happened.

Shortly after being collected the label was reprinted, checked the proof f delivery photo and there it is "The porch" being an outside bench an item wrapped in a black bag with a different label.

Suspect it got booted about and Hermes new tactic is rather than deliver a clearly damaged item, repack it and nobody will be any wiser...

16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

bah, i make such bad business decisions.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

All this is precisely why I chopped my 1080 in at CEX instead of potentially getting more cash on the bay of E.

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Why is there never anything that takes my fancy on Amazon days / Prime days etc?
    Although the Samsung Watch 3 did nearly get a click, if only they weren't releasing the 4 later this year.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I spent an hour or so on there and realised I'm looking for the sake of looking. I almost pulled the trigger on a bunch of 4tb SSDs but reality stepped in and reminded me that I don't need them, and especially not at £250 apiece

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Jiffy bags, the proper ones, I always forget and just tear them open only to have 1 metric ton of shredded padding dump itself on the floor.

Vault-Tec likes this.