1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

The car was running on fumes before it went in for its mot yesterday. Garages dried up, luckily enough passed the mot with no issues, checked five again today and not a drop.

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Mixed news from my son. His car failed its MOT, first one away from home...had a bit of a meltdown.
    Looks like a single suspension part, and there's an OK garage 5 min walk from where he works.
    Good thing I persuaded him to have it tested 10 days before the deadline.
    He was able to buy £30 of petrol on the way home, so he's good for the rest of the week at leat.
    Hopefully things will have settled down by the time he next needs to fill up.
    Good luck with filling up those cars running on fumes

3. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

5. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Indeed, and not a cheap CPU either. :sigh:

6. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Just had to cancel a "lads weekend"* 'cause one of the attendees (well the prime organiser!) son's got the COVIDS :(

*when i say lads weekend, i mean renting a flat in the big smoke, and playing board games and just relaxing; nout fancy nor any significant quantities of alcohol as most of us have kids so have zero tolerance on the drink front...

7. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Sat down to work out a few finances today, felt like I was on track to be debt free come middle of next year and at the moment I actually am. Then a few realisations hit me....

Totally forgetting we're travelling up north for a wedding soon, new suit had to be ordered, pay for hotels on arrival, food & drinks + petrol

Then the following month is my sons birthday, my partner has a habit of going completely over the top. no matter how much I plead and beg her not to buy continuously from now until November she probably still will...

That is quickly followed by an MOT, probably could do with a service at the same time realistically, will definitely need some new tyres and sitting at 173k miles its bound to have something looking a bit ropey... did I mention its a BMW?

Then we get into Christmas (repeat going over the top x10000)

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Gout

not had an attack in over 4 years since doing a 9 month stint on allopurinol, currently eating paracetamol and ibuprofen like candy. To make matters worse I have a job interview tomorrow of which I'll have to wing through gritted teeth.

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You have my sympathy there.I haven't had a really bad attack in a long time, but last time I did I couldn't put any pressure at all on my foot without excruciating pain.

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Not being able to spend any money today, yeah I know 1st world problems;
    > Harley haven't got a part in (although I'm kind of glad as it's way way way over priced and I think a 5 quid piece of Chinese plastic might work as well)
    > Bloke on Ebay refused my offer (c'mon it was only a tenner shy of his asking price)
    > A thread on here hasn't progressed from price check to for sale

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Well, looks like I'll just be going on a variable rate when my energy fix expires this month...

upload_2021-10-5_14-34-51.png

That's literally the best rate on offer. Twice what I'm paying now. Couldn't have picked a worse time for my fixed rate to expire, really...

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Blimey that is high, do you have a mining farm or something.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nup. In fact, my usage is below the national average. Energy saving bulbs everywhere, high-efficiency condensing boiler, keep the thermostat turned down... I work from home, so it's bumped up a bit by that, and run a humidistat-controlled dehumidifier, but other than that there ain't much more I can do to keep the costs down.

The estimate is for me to have used £1,500-ish in gas and electric over my 12-month contract period, although I'm currently in a decent amount of credit. Which is good, 'cos that'll hopefully cover the extra I'm having to spend on the variable rate until fixed rates come down to a sensible level again...

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Ah that is not so bad, I looked at the monthly in your image that says £326, whereas if you only use £1500, that's £125, which is a LOT more frugal than us. So now you ruined my day :D

15. Gareth Halfacree

Yes, I currently spend £125 (ish - it's hard to say, 'cos I have a lower summer rate and a higher winter rate); the cheapest fix-rate I could switch to when my current one expires on the 28th of this very month is £326. Which is the thing ruining my life: that's more than double what I'm paying now!

As it is, the variable rate I'll default to from next month onwards is going to take me from £1,500 a year to £2,200...

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

"I was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable. Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."

I suggest you bypass the meter.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Ouch.
    Sod that for a game of soldiers, I'm currently paying £100 a month and building up a credit reserve for winter.

18. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I spend £88 a month on gas and electric and I put 10kwh in to a car every other day, i used on average about 21khw a day... I think to be completely honest here, with the way the prices are going, getting solar with battery storage at the cost of about £9k is looking more and more appealing and will likely be a requirement in days to come. How anybody spends more than I do given what I run daily blows the mind though!

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Easier than you think, tbh. My oven, fridge-freezer, boiler, and hot water heater are all upwards of 10-15 years old. I can't change a single one of them because I rent and they belong to the landlord. Newer appliances would mean better energy efficiency but that's simply not an option I've got. When **** breaks they'll try and repair as cheap as possible it to squeeze as much life as possible out of it. Even when stuff does eventually have to be replaced they'll get the cheapest possible replacement that barely functions, not something energy-efficient.

It never used to bother me so much because I used to have power-hungry servers running constantly, but I made a conscious effort to get rid of as much "server" infrastructure as possible and move it all to the cloud. (I do have stuff running 24x7, but one's a Raspberry Pi and the other two are low-power desktops - not exactly sucking down 3090 wattages!)

I'm moving to Octopus and my bill is going to be around £130-ish a month. At least it's marginally better than the £140-ish that EDF were charging!

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

We're spending £180 a month, probably only putting 30kWh a week into the car? 6,000kWh electric and 29,000kWh gas. The trick is to have high ceilings and a permanently occupied house, and to do a million loads in the tumble dryer every week.