1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

90% certain that's a bearing. Jack it up and check for any play, it's not always a perfect test but any sense of looseness is a dead giveaway.

Not particularly hard to DIY as long as you have the right tools, but worth doing/getting done properly.

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Good to know that you share the same view!

unfortunately, no jack, no tools and no idea on the DIY front… :(

Going to call the garage tomorrow to get it in, better to be safe than sorry

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you do one side, do the other at the same time. Sods law after doing one side, the other will start getting noisy.

Always do wheel bearings in pairs.

IanW and Pete J like this.
  4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Better this weekend but not out of the woods yet - need to work out what work I'm willing to do and then go through the whole process of CV, interviews and such - that's daunting in itself as I despise social media, haven't had an interview in 12 years and generally try not to look desperate.

Doctor wants to prescribe Gabapentin for neck/ shoulder/ back pain and citalopram for anxiety/ depression (which turns me into a zombie with no sex drive). He did give me an email address for therapy and another phone number for a physio which just makes me hate pharma even more (kick backs, etc).

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Cat took a flying leap off a high surface onto my keyboard. Now lights don't work for 70% of keyboard. At least it still types.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  6. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

that would have been funnier if you missed out a letter from each word!

GaryP, IanW, Arboreal and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

broke the moisture trap on my airbrush, no modelling for me until i source a replacement :(

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Minimodder

Someone at work logged a ticket for a DNS change, without listing what the URL was, the record type, or the endpoints.

Asked them for more information, they told me they didn't know.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Could be worse - https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/24/who_me/

10. Byron C

Byron C Official Necromancer

About an hour ago I found out that one of my friends died suddenly and unexpectedly over the weekend. Absolutely blown away, I can barely even process this.

I don't know if I can do another funeral, I've had so many in the last few years.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Stay strong, mate. If you want to talk, let me know.

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I came in here to whinge, that puts it into perspective.

Sorry to hear mate, hope you are doing ok (I know with loss 'ok' is relative but hopefully you know what I mean).

Fizzban likes this.
  13. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

My somewhat relatively pointless whinge. Northernpowergrid who have been raking it in for years.

Last storm they said they were 'prepared' for - power cut for two or so days - a pain and no compensation because of new 'reasons'.

This storm they were definitely 'prepared' for. No power for about two hours now.

I wonder if any of the billions over the years has done anything other than line shareholder pockets.

But, yeah, it's an annoyance - nothing life changing in the grand scheme of things thankfully.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Don't let stuff deter you.

15. Fizzban

This forum more effort than anywhere else.

16. Fizzban

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

How's the hangover, mate?

18. oscy

oscy Modder

A store basically begged me to apply and join them, they wanted me to start ASAP with a big pay rise, so I leave the job I was about to start...

Then they say I need to meet another higher-up (and they can't decide whether it's an interview or a chat)...

Then it's put back a few days...

Then they reject me before the 'interview'.

All through the Facebook messages of my work friend who works there, who now ignores my calls and is vague, elusive and contradictory about how and why this is.

Apparently the manager who wanted me to start ASAP and barely let me get a word in says he doesn't think I fit the team. A team including a work friend I worked with...

I'm storming through their front door and demanding an explanation.

Never seen a process like this where you get offered a job, then told to have another interview, then get rejected before the interview. Through Facebook. At 9pm.

If my work friend has anything to do with this, let's see how this manger's 'judge of character' and 'team dynamic' BS is when I tell him the assistant manager he hired lied about being a manager and was just a sale assistant in our store. :miffed:

IanW likes this.
  19. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

This was where you went wrong...

Convenient ey? seems like a major red flag to me... any potential employer isn't going to waste time funnelling messages through your mate on Facebook. They'll pick up the phone and call at a time convenient if they're desperate to have you come aboard.

I have your explanation, your friend is full of ****... This isn't a thing. So you had a first interview? did you get a job offer after the interview or did your friend announce you'd got an offer?

All sounds very fishy If I'm being honest

I think you probably need to revisit the job you had and try the begging and pleading approach ASAP

goldstar0011 and IanW like this.
  20. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Yup, that guy is not a friend. Retail industry is a nightmare but making job offers through Facebook is not how it's done.