1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Did you take pictures of the road where it happened? You may be able to claim back from whomever is responsible for maintaining the surface (using your road tax contribution, of course). There have been a few such claims round here due to the roads looking like the ground at Ypres, which is probably why the guys are now out in force resurfacing most of the worst places in one hit. I believe it's dependent on the particular hole/damaged stretch having been raised before though.

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Got up from the sofa and had the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my leg which made me go dizzy and nearly pass out and as white as a ghost.

I feel like a train has drove into my leg lol and I’m helping my brother move house tomorrow xD naturally carrying all the big heavy items because I’m the dude with the van…

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Gout! Again!

This time it's my ankle, really really damn painful.

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Jeez.

Could the hot weather have triggered it and dehydration not flushed toxins out of you?

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Too much port and cheese.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It doesn't get this painful very often.

It's a form of arthritis, a buildup of uric acid in the blood which crystallises around joints. It doesn't specifically need a dietary trigger but that is most common.

I've been trying to track what triggers it and there doesn't seem to be any consistency at all. I thought at one point it was carbs - beer, bread, pasta, etc - but I can eat/drink loads of that stuff and not have a problem. Although these things do definitely exacerbate an existing flare-up.

Nothing I can do except pound down ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory, innit), make sure I keep moving/using the joint in question, and just.... deal with it. I can take medication to reduce the likelihood of flare-ups but there's nothing that can be prescribed to get rid of it when it does flare up.

7. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Amputate, it's the only way you'll show it who's boss.

keef247 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

[​IMG]

You might recall I bought an 1976 Land Rover?

[​IMG]

Well I've just finished a 50% scale mode bed for my boy; fun project, time consuming but rewarding :hehe:

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Wait, that was meant to be in the DIY thread, how did this happen? I am not good with computer.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh dude that is absolutely adorable !

This is a good thread for it. Maybe someone heading here with bad news will see it and get a good smile :)

spolsh and ElThomsono like this.
  11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

An hour on a boat then a five hour drive.

Will be good to see the fam though.

Vault-Tec and The_Crapman like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Don't know where my head is today but I read that as 'popped front left eye' and was wtf-ing

Pete J likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Do you drink a lot of squash? After my first op when I could barely move, I'd have Lauren make me a big bottle of vimto up in case I couldn't get up to get a drink. I would drink about 1.5l of it a day and ended up with gout in my toes. Apparently fructose is quite bad for uric acid production, so swapped the vimto for straight water and and it stopped.

Citric acid is meant to be good to help get rid of it, which is a shame as there's usually fructose where there is citric acid. Maybe whop some jif in your water?

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Carbonated water plus (a little!) food-grade citric acid powder equals healthy Sprite. Bit of honey to taste, maybe, take the edge off.

Not great for your teeth, mind you...

The_Crapman likes this.
  15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Who needs teeth? Just eat mushy peas.

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

With mint sauce?

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  17. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

You can buy pure citric acid in most wilkos or homebrew shops. A quid, two at most.

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Money is very tight.

One thing after the other, car needed a bit of work to keep it moving. Endless birthdays (7 Nieces and a nephew). All the school stuff needed for September, that list soon added up... gas, electric... diesel... food... *sigh*

Had to revaluate how much of my wages I realistically should be putting against my debts with this whole cost of living malarky. Debt free by the end of the year is absolutely no longer a thing which is pretty tiresome. It doesn't push it back by much but still... irritating.

We'll get there, just feel like a bit of a cloud is over my head today.

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The stuff in wilkos is meant for cleaning rather than food [as are the big boxes of bicarb]... I mean you'll probably be fine... but there may also be residuals in there that might not want to consume...

But this is the kinda thing you're looking for - https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/citric-acid-food-grade.html

Most recipes call for like a tablespoon or two at a time so a bag will last a while [based on making diy cordials myself].

Also in a lot of cordial recipes [esp home made ones] the sugar is the preservative so if you're dialling back on the sugar it might not be as shelf stable as it otherwise could be.

A recipe for illustrative purposes -

+ a little salt and low sodium salt and a couple other things [the exact ratio escapes me atm] and you've made a knock-off sports drink.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2022
  20. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Re; wilkos, I meant the stuff sold for homebrew.