1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As one who had the same procedure after an attack of acute Pancreatitis many moons ago, I know exactly what you're going through. It does get better, honest!

2. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Window cleaner scared my youngest cat from the roof on Monday. Seems its possibly broken a bone in her foot , just awaiting the results of the £500 X-ray to see how many tears its going to bring to my old and wrinkled face

3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So the neighbour of my house I was renting out has been in touch.

The bugger tenant has not been seen for ages and now he's no longer a tenant he's been back taking some bits of his from the house. He's been leaving lights on, windows wide open and probably the heating too.

Got a locksmith on the case today to change the locks. He also says he'll close the windows for us and make sure the heating isn't on. Good lad.

I don't get it. The weirdest thing on the day he was officially no longer a tenant he paid one of the months rent that he owes.

It's just mental. Showing no respect, making absolutely no contact, going back to the property after not being there but then paying some of what he owes.

WTF?!?

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Silver lining, at least you got some cash!

It'd be fascinating to get 10 minutes in a room with him.

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  5. adidan

Yeah at least the cost of the lock change, deep clean, crap removal and new carpets should be covered by that and the deposit.

I think spending any more than one minute in a room with him would just confuse the hell out of me. He seems, at best, erratic.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The medical merry-go-round.

Can’t get ADHD medication prescribed because my blood pressure is a little high. But lifestyle changes that will generally improve health and reduce blood pressure are made a lot easier when you’re taking a medication that manages ADHD (which also helps explain why I’ve been consistently failing at doing this for my entire life). So psychiatrists office recommends getting treatment/medication for blood pressure first, because once I’m on effective ADHD medication those lifestyle changes are a lot easier.

Tried my private GP, but they want to run a bunch of tests that can’t be done through their service.

I finally manage to get an NHS GP appointment only for them to initially say that my blood pressure isn’t really a problem. They tell me to record my BP four times a day for a week and then come back. Of course it’s been more like three weeks because it’s very difficult to get appointments and… well… forgetting because of ADHD.

Eventually today they agree that I do have high blood pressure (yeah, like I said the first damn time)… but now I need a blood test, pee test, and an ECG. And the next time they can do this is April 11th.

So. Come back in about 3 weeks please. Oh, and after that it’ll take about another week to get blood test results back. Before I even start any kind of medication for hypertension so that I can start taking ADHD medication.

**** me, it’s no wonder my blood pressure is high when there’s all these hoops to jump through.

7. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

When I went for a blood test a few weeks ago, I (or rather the GP surgery) had the results the next day. Certainly seems you’re be given the runaround.

8. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I'm willing to bet its one of these cases:

1: problems hit home hard, brain shuts down and tenant goes "LALALALALALALALA"
    2: wanted to live (mostly) rent free, now being angry about that having ended
    3: just an everyday twit who yolo'd

Whatever the case, windows and heating is the final "f you" cherry on top

adidan likes this.
  9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

The Weather.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2023
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yay. Am currently on the hard shoulder on the M5 before junction 4 south of Birmingham. My engine decided to take a rest. Weather's miserable too. Parked up in the middle of the lane, but could do with being another foot over to be totally comfortable (don't worry, plenty of space, just get buffeted every now and again by a passing lorry).

AA app is also saying a 2 hour wait. At least about 40 minutes of that has passed. Now, where's that empty bottle...

11. adidan

When I was a kid that was the exact space my dad always thought it was best to park up so we could get out and eat our sandwiches on a long road trip. :happy:

Pete J likes this.
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Been taken off the motorway and dumped in a service station car park. The breakdown driver told me the AA would be in contact to arrange transferring the car to a local garage, but after 15 minutes I called them and nothing seemed to be progessing. Anyway, apparently a local garage will come pick me and the car up at or before 2230. I'm not holding my breath...

To compound matters, apparently I get a fine if my car is here longer than 2 hours, the breakdown driver told me. No worries, just have to go and speak to someone inside the service station. Except they say the driver has to come in as proof. And he's buggered off (only fair as he's 45 minutes over the end of his shift). I have a feeling this is going to be an upcoming issue in my life.

At least I can book the Travelodge across the road for the night if needs be.

Oh yeah, also been up since 0345...

13. adidan

What a bloody day mate.

14. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I got towed home from a services a few years back by the rac after a lengthy wait. Didn't even think about the 2hr max until we were exiting.

Never got a fine, I assume because my reg plate was blocked by the RAC towing plate/lights, so the ANPR cameras never got an exit ping.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Heh. Well it's still going on. A flatbed came to pick up my car and deposit it at the nearest garage, which is now closed. Luckily the chap appeared to be switched on and was puzzled why the AA hadn't sent out someone to actually look at the damn thing before hauling it off. He recommended calling them back and asking.

Anyways, AA patrol van due...beforw 1:05am (though could be an extra hour or so).

Same kind of thing happened to me - the lady realised I wasn't making it up and kindly gave me a 24 hour pass, however I had not shown up on their system l, having been towed in.

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What an ordeal!

I've had a mixed bag with the AA, once I got sent some 3rd party guy with a flatbed and set of screwdrivers (useless) and once I got the AA guy in his van who actually diagnosed and fixed the issue at the roadside.

Pete J likes this.
  17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I'm back home, after a few hours sleep on a too-small couch at the service station (had to use a chair to support my right shoulder), using my 'soft' backpack as a pillow and my coat as a duvet. Paid to upgrade to AA's national recovery option, and got towed the rest of the way to Stoke. At least the young AA chap was a nice person to talk to - had a few chuckles and even would go so far to say I weirdly enjoyed the trip.

Unfortunately the local garage I had it towed to (literally a 3 minute walk round the corner from my house) isn't up to the task of repairing what went wrong - something about a tension timing pulley coming loose and the cam belt skipping 2-3 teeth. The engine could be a write off, or if I'm lucky, only the top camshaft needs to be fixed/replaced. However, the Volvo's done nigh on 170K miles, and repair costs are likely to be more than the car's now worth. Fortunately, they have no qualms with me leaving it there until I can get it moved.

I've looked into hire leasing, and have found a potentially nice white BMW estate. Which is annoying, as I love to hate BMW drivers. I'm going to have to learn how to not indicate and tailgate I suppose. Unless on Monday Volvo quote a reasonable price for repairing, which is about as likely as an unlikely thing.

perplekks45 and IanW like this.
  18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well... at least you weren't incredibly inconvenienced for some really minor problem that could be solved in 5 minutes by a competent mechanic. Not that... this is much comfort...!

RIP @Pete J's car.

Pete J likes this.
  19. adidan

Came in here to check, was worried I may have to call mountain rescue for you.

That or Challenge Anneka.

Pete J likes this.
  20. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Completely off topic. From where did you nab your avatar? I've done a lot Opeth logo variations back in my graphics days and yours is very, very close to my work.