1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

It's on a forum!

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Well! Best of luck!

I had fun getting up at 5AM for the Moogle auction even though nobody else bid anyway. :lol:

3. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I've replaced my reservoirs and insulated the pumps with foam -- and the damn case is *still* vibrating :(

</firstworldproblems>

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Thanks, it was for the black and grey Clacks!

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Just about graduated in software Engineering and now failing to get a job. Kinda lacking direction atm and someone to confide in. Careers advice in school keeps coming back to be "you cant do that, your gonna fail", guess they where right tho back then I laughed in their face and tried anyway. Would love to have that fight in me now.

6. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Phone bill, £92 -.-

7. suragh

suragh Derp

Orange have problems with theie sim cards so I am cancelling my contract which I can and then I am going with three.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

An auction on a forum?! Dafuq is this? :p

I have this one customer who keeps breaking stuff that I supply or build for him. I've been building, repairing and upgrading this guy's computers and electronics for years... He upgrades his existing machine or buys a new one every year, and I've been doing all of his work since the first gaming machine that he ever owned, based on an unlocked and overclocked Athlon XP. I think that was in 2004, so yeah, I've done a lot of work for him over the years and he's been a very loyal customer. I never have any problem getting money off him either - he has a good job and all he spends his money on is his car and computers. He pays on time, in cash, every time.

So why am I complaining? Well, I'm getting a little bit tired of seeing him kill perfectly good hardware. This guy is like the grim reaper for expensive computers! His main problem is that he can't leave anything alone. If I built him a computer this week, he'd have opened it up and tried to do something with the internals by the end of next week, he just can't help himself. He thinks that he knows what he's doing, but he hasn't got a clue. He spends literally thousands of pounds on computer hardware per year (most of it pointless, but who am I to judge?) but several hundred of that is is usually on hardware that he damages in some way. A recent example of this is that I built him an extremely top end computer last year, assembled with the best of the best enthusiast gear money can buy. I customised a full tower case to accomodate a triple loop liquid cooling system, hand picked lots of high end hardware and built and overclocked the rig to be bulletproof stable and a benchmark killer. It was easily the fastest and most expensive rig that I built last year. Three months ago, I found out that "the motherboard broke" and that he had pulled the rig apart himself and binned the motherboard. Literally - he threw it out. Now, there are a few problems with this;

1) £350 motherboard, in the bin. 'Nuff said.
    2) Every UniSys server and workstation computer is covered by a 24 month warranty. I believe in what I build.
    3) The motherboard wasn't even a year old, and was covered by a 5 year warranty (big hint at the manufacturer there).
    4) He didn't even call me about it.

So, a little while ago he brought me some more expensive kit for the computer graveyard - a rather expensive graphics card that I supplied to him earlier this year. Again, under warranty, and again, completely dead by his hands. "Oh, don't worry, that's not the same one you got for me" he says. Except that it is, because every piece of hardware that hits my bench has a serial number on it, and I record those serial numbers. All of them :rolleyes:

I don't mind him tinkering, I really don't - he likes computers and wants to get stuck in, and that's fine with me, but it's getting really disheartening to see so much high end kit getting damaged and wasted, then just binned instead of going back under warranty just in case it can actually be replaced.

:sigh:

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Never, ever, ever, ever, EVER voluntarily go with three. Your service will be - believe it or not - even worse. Pick anyone else. Just do not pick three. You will regret it!

Their phones drop signal, get awful reception, and their customer service is HORRENDOUS.

Someone I know just the other month tried three before I could warn them off. Within a week they were getting late or not delivered text messages, calls failing, signal only working outside; she's a business owner and on top of that a new mum! She can't just stand outside all day.

Suffice it to say, she gave three the bin off. AVOID!

10. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

My Iphone works fine on Three, no dropped signal etc

please don't hurt me

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Wrenches my heart to see such misuse of perfectly good computer hardware. You want to send me some of those high ends parts? I wont be paying mind you ;)

Hmm nothing to report in ruining my life. Except I stayed up till 4am reading The Partner by John Grisham. And didn't expect the twist ending so annoyed that the hero
    didn't get the girl in the end

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That really annoyed me too.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Another big fan of Three, I've been with them for about 3 years now and they've always been really good! :D

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The guy got away with Theft/Fraud/Murder Charges reduced to something silly, no prison time, so it was bound to have some kind of twist to it. But why didn't she just leave once she had the money. I think there is a bit a few chapters back where someone is following her.

15. Zoon

You'd better knock wood, chuck salt over your shoulder, and sacrifice a few chickens, cos now you've tempted fate!!

In all seriousness, I've known people with good and bad experiences on every network, mostly good, occasionally bad. With three, its the other way round - probably 90% of the experiences I've heard about three have been bad.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2012
  16. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Must..... resist... tempation... to correct! :D

17. Zoon

Damn eedjits branding things without capital letters... edited for clarity :p

18. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

About to start 10 weeks of solid coursework. I do love university!

19. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

No internet, I'm reduced to using the university library.

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I know, me too. At first I was just like "meh, more broken stuffs" but as his budget has grown, I've built bigger and better systems for him, but he still hasn't learned how not to break them, and I'm getting really disheartened. Unfortunately I have none of the high end stuff to send anywhere, not even back for warranty replacement or testing - he bins everything as soon as it stops working. It's a complete and utter waste of money. I sort of told him off the last time I heard he'd done that, because it's against the law to dump electronic appliances or components in household rubbish, it has to be disposed of properly and considerately. Throwing a motherboard in the wheelie bin is neither.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2012