1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Stupid Inland Revenue!!

For the last 4 to 6 years I have been telling them that I am no longer Self Employed, and each time I told them they said they would get it sorted which they never did.

Monday this week I call up to find out if I made a under or over payment in tax last year as I am sure I overpaid, and was told that they still have me down as being Self Employed and I kind of lost it with them, was promised that they would get it sorted this time and that I should call back today.

So today I call them and get told it's now sorted and that I have indeed made a overpayment but they cannot tell me how much I have, overpaid by but they are sending me a cheque for the amount and when I asked, why I couldn't have it paid in to my bank they said that option is only available to people who are self employed.

So I have no idea how much I have overpaid by since they have gone over what I have paid since 2009 to 2014, I am hoping it's a nice lump so I can get a new monitor but I am kind of thinking it's only going to be around £30 if that.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I don't get it, the only reason you would have over/under paid would be if your employers put you on the wrong tax code? Did you fill in a P46 when you started with your first not-self employed job after stopping being self employed?

3. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Being practically unemployable

I have a 2:1 in Electrical Engineering with 2 impressive academic awards to top it. But I hold zero industry experience because my course never offered me a placement year during foundation.

even the most basic jobs are now rejecting me

4. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

30 years ago you needed 5 gcses.
    15 years ago you needed 5gcse A-C
    10 years ago you needed a couple of a levels
    Now.. You need a degree

All for the same job.

The government tell us we need a degree so we get one, reality is that we never did and as a result an education is worth nothing really. Experience tops education these days and debt as a result of being miss informed is crippling the country.

5. SuicideNeil

Dish washing is a very fulfilling job I find... :worried: :D

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

At least Uni is good fun :D

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Hence I finish my masters next month for the next step up.

8. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I have a job now, but I spent almost two years on the dole; depressing is the nicest word i'd use. Even university graduates with first class masters find it hard to get a job dude, don't get discouraged, confidence sells.

For your particular job role in electrical engineering, try temp work in factories in assembly. It'll get you experience in that role; I did it for a while, mindlessly soldering components to PCBs. But! It was that experience that got me the job i'm working in now, because it came up in an interview and they were pleased with it.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

A-levels are overly inflated now as well: I know someone who got 6 A*'s and still didn't get into Oxford, just because it really isn't that impressive anymore.

10. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Really bad flare up of IBS. I really fancied going out on the bike today but it would end badly lol

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

With those results the reason they didn't get in to Oxford wasn't academic.

A* at A2 requires you to be in the top decile nationally for each exam - sorry, but that's still impressive.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It is impressive, no doubt, but it isn't the great differentiator that it should be. The average grade of an Oxbridge entrant (for Maths) is four A*'s and an A at A2 (i.e. ~650 UCAS points).

Personally I got 4 A*s and an A at A2 plus a further A at AS (which was only one module short of another full A-level) but I didn't meet the entry requirement to Maths at Cambridge because of doing poorly on their own paper. So I was, quite fairly, refused admission on academic grounds even with my A-level results. I'm fairly sure the reason Oxford denied admission to my friend was on academic grounds (Oxbridge essentially relies on their own tests and interviews now, particularly in the case of STEM subjects).

Granted, this only really applies to the very top end of the scale, and the selection of Maths, Further Maths and Additional Further Maths coupled with other STEM subjects which feed into each other does mean that impressive looking results can be more easily obtained. It does seem like getting into the top tier universities can be a bit of a lottery now though.

Anyway, rant over.

13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Don't get me wrong, I have a great job, great pay, a 4 bed house, a couple of cars, getting married and all at the tender age of 26. My problem is that if the push for the education had never happened then 5 gcses would still get you what you need out of a job but the government made the push to give the illusion of a more educated Britain (rubbish, people get thicker by the year from what I've seen.. A nation of ill educated troglodytes and many with degrees. Terrifying.) my gripe is the tax payer (me) suffers paying for teens to get pissed with a pointless education and no promise of a job relative to education at the end of it.

14. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

My HTC one x is fubared after I collapsed in the street luckily its covered on our bank account insurance still a pain in the proverbial though

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Everything was filled out correctly by myself and the company I work for, but the Inland Revenue have made mistakes with my records nearly every year since I started working full time.

Since April last year I have had nearly 20 different tax codes because the Inland Revenue kept changing it almost on a monthly basis.

Every time I changed from being Self Employed to PAYE I called the Inland Revenue and told them, and the same when I went from PAYE to Self Employed but from what the Inland Revenue have said no one at the Inland Revenue has been updating my records hence the reason for my, over payment.

16. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Back to work tomorrow after 10 days off..... :sigh:

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

The job struggle is real. Here in Canada, stopped working at the mechanic shop where I detailed cars in 2011 to focus on my last 2 years of university. Since I graduated last May, I've had 3 interviews, along with lots of rejection e-mails. You just need to be persistent, and positive, despite how demotivating it is. If you know anyone that may be able to set you up with some people, do it. Most of my school buddies have jobs through people they knew, as a pose to what they knew.

18. SuicideNeil

Man, they really are useless these days then I guess. That said, it took them over 2 years to decide I should be paying income tax on my 2nd job ( 2.5 hours a week, lol ) despite me doing all the paperwork at the time correctly... :rolleyes:

19. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

haven't slept in 37 hours, and drag myself through a CPN appointment where he agrees my medication isnt working and is switching me onto something alot stronger.

any my mother reacts by...coming home, screaming at me for not hoovering while being ill, and is now planning to move to Manchester with my sister leaving me homeless

[​IMG]

and the police are STILL dragging their heels over my case, so i dont really know where i stand, and its causing my mental state to deteriorate further

20. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

So ordered a new computer build parts from both scan.co.uk and ebuyer.com

Scans showed up 12:41 which was perfect and despite paying for next day delivery Ebuyer failed.

Phoned Yodel at 7:15 saying i've been in waiting for the parcel all day and some chap said "your being impatient we deliver until 9pm, I said so the driver is still on route then? then he said yes"

Thought okay then, Maybe just being a bit hasty, 10 minutes later a status update on the yodel delivery page "Returned to deport" Phoned once again and spoke to someone called Craig, he said the driver must of had an issue and returned to the deport for some reason but couldn't tell me why and said management would phone me to let me know what's happening within the next hour.

Once again i phoned up spoke to some women which told me it takes management 24 hours to reply to these complaints and there's nothing i could do i asked if it could be redelivered in the morning and she said "we can't promise on any time" So i replied well you do cause you've taken my money for next day delivery" She put the phone down...

So i phoned again and spoke to someone called Daniel

I thought right we'll keep chilled out and see what we can do... So he said the parcel would be sent out tomorrow he's sorry about the service and he'll try to push it though so it gets delivered in the AM rather then PM, Thought that's fine thanks for the help.

Look on the website at the status...

"It's telling me to manage my post status and giving me the option of delivering it on the 29th or 30th or collecting it in person at the deport.

I've just lost all hope and I'm not going to spend another minute waiting in for this bs company to "hopefully" deliver my goods to me for 12 hours again...

The Options say when collecting a parcel you need to bring
    -A red calling card
    -B Photo ID

Well I don't have any "RED Calling Card" because they never even attempted to deliver my damn parcels (which scan did perfectly) but i do have Photo ID.

Bugger my life.