1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. veato

veato I should be working

Man flu

2. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Whats ruining my life right now? Well a number of things really.

The abundance of youth going to university to get a degree with every intention of succeeding in life to then get drunk on the loans that the hard working have paid for and not paying them back because they cant get a job at the end of it or don't earn enough to ever actually pay it back.

What is the actual point? Your degrees will be worth no more than a few GCSEs by the time your done due to the severe saturation of the educational system and you will have circa £50k of debt.

Disaster! Wake up!

Who pays when you don't pay the loans back? I do.. my family does.. The pensioners who worked for a valued pension suffer and their hard work when working ethic meant something will all be wasted.

University should require a mandatory part time job where anything above £3 is paid back into your debt to help sustain your stay in education/doss on life.

University should expel those who use funds to get drunk regularly rather than spending the money on living and an education. Any criminal record be it as low as even drunk and disorderly should also result in your exit from your education.

University should only allow places relative to jobs requiring that given degree. This would avoid everyone getting a degree in sociology and then feeling bummed out that their life amounts to nothing more than serving subway to students following in their very own mistaken foot steps.

Its 3 years of sacrifice so sacrifice the 3 years and stop ******** the governments money up the wall as ultimately itll be you who pays in taxes to cover this.

I don't mind paying tax and will gladly do so so long as it improves the UK, work, the health system, forces and the economy. If its not being spent on those and is instead being spent on a new generation of free loaders (university students who are in dire need of a reality check) then I don't think I should pay any tax at all.

Free loading happens, it annoys most of us when we see the hand out Britain taking advantage but the biggest hand out of all is the university student and to be completely frank it needs to be tied up a little.

How many of you would go to university if those regulations were put in place? Probably quite a few to be honest as the sort of person who frequents this forum usually has morals, respect and the appearance of a good working ethic be you working or trying hard to find it. The vast majority of students I see trawling the streets making the place look untidy would probably not bother if that was the choice they were given and its a choice such as that that would then force the value of a degree back up their as a higher education rather than a glorified scouts badge that says "wasted 3-4 years of my life, got a degree, work in a role where I could have been for the last 4 years and instead collected £50k of debt" - great work.

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Nah, I didn't fancy it back in the day when it was free let alone getting into debt over it :thumb:

And whilst I can't disagree that there are a proportion of those who do waste the opportunity, it has to be said that university is not just getting a degree, it's getting life experiences too, and some of these will be getting drunk, f'ing up, re-sitting, pressure of work due to social life mismanagement

You've got to let kids be kids and let them make their own way in the world

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Jesus H Christ :D What a load of utter, utter, ********. But hey, rant on if it makes you feel better :D

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

found one of my dogs holes in the garden...with my foot...serious sprain but nothing broken

6. veato

veato I should be working

I got pissed at uni. A lot. I also happened to have some of the best times of my life. I took loans (no rich parents to fund me like some I went to uni with) and came out with around £16k in debt and an honours degree. My current job (10 years down the line) could be done without a degree but that doesn't change the fact I pay back the loans I took AND had an awesome time.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Seriously, what are you smoking?

Firstly, you're making horrific (and offensive) generalisations about students by saying they're just pissing their loans up the wall and will never pay them off. Sorry, but most students will eventually pay back their loans, which means that your entire rant about you personally paying for them is a load of utter tosh.

Not sure you were aware, but once you start earning money you automatically start paying off your loans. Sure, you may feel that somebody obtained a mickey mouse/nonsense degree, or it doesn't relate to their work, but that doesn't matter. Earn the money and you pay back your debt, simple as.

Pensioners today are fantastically well off. Arguably, those people going to university now should be the most annoyed as their pensions are a shadow of the older generation - final salary is dead and gone, monthly payments have shot up and generally the benefits are worse. Oh, and they went to university for free.

Degrees are not the same as GCSEs and never will be. A GCSE indicates you can just about tie your shoelaces (this is taking an E to be a pass grade), a degree is a lot more work than this. Yes, more people have degrees these days and they have become somewhat devalued in certain fields, but this by no means makes them worthless.

As for forcing a part time job? Eh? You are aware there aren't enough jobs to go around anyway, yet you want to literally force hundreds of thousands more in to the system...and if that happened, take those jobs from people who need them to survive? Alright then...

Graduates are also a UK export and import. Our HE system is one of the world's best, which attracts international students to the UK and brings in their money (to the tune of anywhere between £15-36k per year on tuition alone, plus another £10k a year in living costs). Our graduates also go and work overseas, but their salary goes in to a UK bank and brings in further foreign money. A vibrant, active, HE system is absolutely vital.

As a student (for the second time round I might add, oh gosh I'm costing the government loads (actually, I'm going to cost them £277,000 by the time I finish next summer)) I think what you've written is offensive, a load of poorly thought out nonsense and flat out wrong. I'm just glad you're not actually in any position of power to change the system, and instead can just hammer out your weird fantasy on a keyboard.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Ditto :p

I also got high a lot. And continued to do so for several years after I left the place as well. Not wise!

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i didn't go to university i went for an interview and it seemed that they only wanted me to be a face on their anti-discriminatory project ( being autistic ) so i told them to go get stuffed

i am nobody's poster boy

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

True but its currently at the expense of you and me and it shouldn't be. I worked hard to get where I am, by any account Im not actually that far off leaving this time in my life but I did it in a way even my grand parents would be proud of. I worked, I didn't take the P and spend it all on booze and my debt is none existent.

11. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

If you pay back that £277k then I can honestly stop and applaud you 1, for your efforts and 2, for taking on what most would deem to be an impossible task in repayment terms, especially if your looking for a mortgage or what else you need in the future. Sad truth is that most degrees aren't very well thought out and it is a waste of money which ever way you look at it.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

1) I'm not paying back that £277k. That's the NHS' gift to me, and their ongoing cost in training new doctors. Of course, I don't see a penny of that money. However the fact remains that I've cost the taxpayer about £235k so far - how do you feel about me taking some of your tax money? I'll certainly admit to going to the pub.

2) I am going to pay back the £50k I will have run up in maintenance and tuition fee loans. Equally, so will the large majority of other students across all courses.

If the student pays back their loan, no matter what they studied, it's of no consequence to anybody else what they spent their money on.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think this is where I'll disagree with you. University doesn't exist for the sole reason of practicality. Let's be honest here, it's academia. It's an institution of higher abstract learning. The degree is not what allows one to be a successful human being. It's the skills you acquire through life that do.

So making the generalization that for example, non-science or "impractical" degrees are useless is an incredibly baseless statement because you can just as easily get a "practical" degree and be a wreck of a human being. If there's anything you want to blame, it's that for some bizarre reason the current and previous generation were shoehorned into going to Uni. It was seen as some badge of honor. Necessary or not, everyone was supposed to go, otherwise they were a failure. And now people who come out without guidance turn into failures and are called wastes of money when they are told day after day to go to a good Uni, get good grades and nothing else.

Sure there are a lot of screw ups in universities, but it's a very unfair if not outright ridiculous statement to say it's a waste of money for everyone. Some people actually go for the learning you know. :D

You'd have a field day with my choice of degree, career, and background I'd reckon.

14. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Point one if technically already answered. No problem with that at all. An education to a doctor a nurse or a paramedic for example is completely different. That's a cost associated with training for a role outside of a degree associated with it and I'm sure there are many other aspects of the NHS that would need a degree and training that is more than justifiable.

I've not got a problem with it being paid back. Mine is but the debt was small so I'm of no burden to the financial system associated with the further education anymore.

Going to the pub is a little different to spending out 4 or 5 nights a week because that's what people associate uni with. I've got a number of friends who are so hard done by in their eyes because they took degrees without thinking it through and can't get a job in that field or the degree although a further education isn't deemed to be that significant vs an area specific qualification that can be studied for much less. It's a false hope and a dream sold by the government that traps many potential students and it should be stopped. If there are a million jobs that require degrees each year and 600k are area specific requirements like a vet for example then those degrees should be handed out in moderation with regards to placements. The remaining 400k could just be to prove a sense of achievement and drive. But why allow multiple amounts of degrees vs jobs that need them? That's the wasted investment and the government is guilty of it along with any student looking for the chance of a semi free ride.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...been without power most of the day...

16. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I went Uni.

Got VERY drunk.

Got a degree.

Have a reasonable job.

Am paying loan back.

[​IMG]

That said wouldn't do it for whatever it costs now so kinda agree with it in some ways.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

A blanket reduction of funding for students would just result in kids of the rich getting an education and everyone else being denied one.

Making every pound students can get means tested to make sure they only get enough for their education and don't have a penny to squander on booze would likely cost more to implement and police than just accepting the odd student going to the pub.

So I'd say the current system is a pretty reasonable approach.

As for the value of some degrees? how do we know for sure what they will be worth in a couple decades? we don't and with retirement age guaranteed to increase in the future students today may well work 50 or 60 years unlike now where its only 40 and some change.
    Look how different the world was in 1954... what will it be like 2074? We don't know, so it isn't really possible to judge now what value a future society will place on a specific degree.
    Plus as has already been said, they learn more at Uni than just things that are relevant to their specific degree.

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Stuck in all day because plumbers are in. My mums paranoid so I'm stuck here if they need any help or need someone to make a decision if somethings not quite right.

I've got major cabin fever, I've just been binging on junk food and coke and now I've reached a major sugar crash.

What sucks is even when my mum gets back I have to get ready to go to work myself, crappy shutdown shift with people I really dislike. Interview has switched days meaning I'll have to desperately switch shifts again to make it.

I've been given a load of awkward shifts aswell some of which are on the weekend which is when I see my girlfriend, fortunately she's comfortable in my house with my parents so she can hang till I get back.

I'm just so bored this is about as exciting as my day gets.

19. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

An old friend just found out he has lung cancer and as he has an important job and a family to support My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Plus I'm having trouble finding any local Radio hams who can help install my new Antenna for the radio shack stuck with a crappy indoor antenna until I get the help I need more worried for my friend though to be honest the antenna thing is insignificant in comparison

20. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

After the most awkward drop. My iPhone's screen looks like a technicolour rainbow. The phone itself is physically mint, no scratches or cracks. Weird.

Looks like I need to find a repair place asap as I don't have any spare phones & I have a phone interview on Monday.......