1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. lancer778544

lancer778544 isnt really an ultramodder...

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was you who bought the FX8320 based PC posted in the hardware bargains thread. Turns out it was MrJay. I was gonna say it should slot straight into the board in that PC...

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No worries, I was trying to coax a little more life out of a G3258 Pentium... evidently it just wasn't happeneing.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, it's not exactly 'ruining' but its certainly way more of a PITA than I have time for right now.

Waiting on a replacement for the third Corsair H90 I've owned that bit the dust prematurely. First one leaked. Second one was DOA. Third one has been used for all of maybe 100 hours since I got it... pump just died.

I've never seen my i7 920 hit 91*C before.

I never want to see it do it again, either.

Hope it's all right... would be a shame to see it die in that fashion. :(

edit: If there are any funny noises from the new one, it's going right back. Bah.

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

My grandfather died this morning. It still hasn't really processed.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2017
  5. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

This, I know, is a horrible attempt at consolation, but my back medication has my brain frazzled right now.

I recall once reading a eulogy John Perry Barlow had written for I-can't-remember-who. The point is a line in it stuck with me. I'm paraphrasing, but it went something along the lines of "I will find strength and acceptance in the knowledge that all before me have tread this path in the ebb and flow of all human history"

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Don't suppose anybody knows a solution to snoring?

My Wife broke her nose when she was like 13 and she snores terribly. Did I say terribly? I mean Dreadfully. Bad enough that I find it difficult to sleep next to her because it's so damn loud. Those BS nose strips don't work either.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I snore like a beast. Only since I have put on weight mind. Having said that I have always snored thanks to a broken nose (thanks bro) and having my adenoids removed as a kid which constantly leaves my nose bone dry.

Ear plugs mate.

I never used them before about a year ago but now I rely on them. I only need the one (memory foam bed so I don't move around and I have feather pillows so great to block out noise to my other ear). My wife grinds her teeth really bad when she sleeps. It's so bad they sound like they are popping and snapping. But moreso because the **** upstairs is about as noisy as a noisy **** can be. Stomps around, talks as loud as he can and constantly argues with his wife etc.

So yeah, silence is bliss man.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Being unable to keep my train of thought on the rails for more than 15 minutes...

My mind seems to go like an broken scalextric [slot car for the unfamiliar]... You're mashing the control, nothing's happening than randomly it'll kick in before just as quickly shooting the car off the track. Ultimately you end up spending more time looking for the car and getting it back on track than you do actually on the track...

Got **** i want to do, but can i **** keep my mind focused on actually doing any of it.

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Not exactly life-ruining but highly irritating:

My projector died yesterday - three days out of warranty. It's an Viewsonic Pro9000. Amazon would have replaced the projector anyway - but they have none in storage. Viewsonic doesn't sell that model anymore. Since the projector is out of warranty Amazon will not refund any money. And Viewsonic doesn't care, the unit is out of warranty.

What's even worse is that there is no comparable projector in that price range available: Most projectors have insane input lag. The ones that don't either have a rainbow effect, are very loud or more than twice as expensive and way way more power hungry.

Not that it matters much anyway: Since I crashed the damn car two weeks ago there's no way I can afford a replacement.

I know I'm whining, but I can already feel the depression creeping up again. It's insane how much my mental well-being depends on all the electronic gadgets but damnit: I cannot help it.

/rant

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

I know just what you mean. I need my stuff, it's my stuff and keeps my brain distracted and active. I had to sell off a knife from my collection a while back due to lack of money and that was hard, very hard as I always know that the depression is always there, tucked away and kept there by keeping myself doing the things I enjoy. My collections of stuff are a big part of that.

11. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Yeah, it's exactly like that. I have been battling depression as long as I can remember. A few years ago I came very close to calling it quits. It has taken quite a while (and a lot of help from my therapist) to establish a routine I can live with.

Truth be told I am an incredibly weak human being. Most people would just shrug off something like their TV dying. For me it's like being kicked back in the hole I just tried to crawl out of.

At least there's no-one depending on me.

12. Byron C

Byron C *psst!* This guy is a loser!

You've probably heard this already, but... That doesn't make you a weak person, it just means you have a mental illness.

13. Byron C

The ongoing saga of my (somewhat literally) bloody left foot.

Saturday morning at about 0630, after a late night in which several bottles of wine were consumed, my youngest cat decides that it's a good time to scratch at the wardrobe door. When he does this he makes the door bang against the frame because he can't always get enough purchase with his claws - that and the scratching noise is quite annoying when you're trying to sleep. The other half tells him off and we try to go back to sleep. The scratching continues so I tell him off. The scratching continues, so my other half gently spritzes some deodorant in his general direction - this normally makes him move like sh*t off a greased shovel. The scratching continues, so I spritz some deodorant in his general direction. The scratching continues. The other half gets up to go to the loo; I lose my temper and get up to yell at him. Except I manage to stand on the base of the fan and slice a chunk of skin half-loose from my foot. There should be a plastic cap covering the exposed metal on the fan base, but it's missing... because the youngest cat pulled it off to play with it... So now I'm hopping downstairs dripping blood everywhere from my foot to try and plaster it up. Turns out the sodding cat was trapped in the wardrobe trying to get out, hence why he couldn't leg it when we told him off...

This morning I woke up with a bit of an ache in the same foot - it feels like I've sprained something and it made me hobble a bit. Except I haven't sprained anything unless I've been doing acrobatics in my sleep (this has not been known to happen). This happens once or twice every 3-4 months and sometimes it's so painful that I can't walk. But sometimes it's really mild and doesn't bother me. It was mild this morning so I plodded on. The pain got so bad by about 11am that I had to leave the office to work from home for most of the day. Slight-but-related tangent: On a motorbike you typically operate the gear lever with your left foot - up to change up, and down to shift down. What an astonishing coincidence: the gear lever happens to sit across the most painful part of my foot. It's howling with wind, it's p*ssing down with rain. While I'm dealing with trying to stay upright, watching out for painted road markers, watching out for manhole covers, dodging idiots who like to drive at 70mph on a 50mph road, trying to see where I'm going through a rain-soaked visor, and trying not to let that tailgating w*nker in an Audi/Beemer/Merc plow into the back of me, I'm also struggling to change gears on my bike (sorry; this is probably confirmation bias, but when I see someone tailgating me so close that they could reach out of the window and stroke my arse it's usually one of those badges that I see). Half the time I'm shifting to neutral instead of second gear and revving the balls off my engine, and half the time I'm not even changing gears at all. By the time I got home I was in agony: I could barely stand and even when elevated and resting it felt like someone was constantly stabbing my foot.

Several doses of Ibuprofen later, and with a plaster that needs to be changed regularly because wearing socks, shoes & motorbike boots aggravates the gashed skin, my left foot is still giving me grief. Here's hoping I can actually get a doctor's appointment tomorrow - I should write some sort of clever VoIP auto-dialling script so I don't have to re-dial 90-odd times on my iPhone just to bloody well get through.

14. Vault-Tec

Byron - get a water sprayer mate. When the cat misbehaves spray a mist of water at it.

If you do not want a cat going to a certain place put alu foil on the object/floor/sofa.

One of my girls once decided that because we had brought another cat into the house that she was going to start peeing in the crease of the leather sofa.

Alu foil. You should have seen her when she jumped onto it. Nearly hit the roof :D

15. Byron C

Not heard of alu foil used as a deterrent before, but we've definitely been through the water bottle phase.

TBF he's not that bad most of the time, he rarely scratches at the wardrobe doors any more. It just so happens that this time he'd got in without waking us up, but couldn't get back out.... idiot....

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

You could also try a eucalyptus/citrus solution. While technically poisonous to cats, a solution soaked in to the no-scratch areas won't be concentrated enough to cause any harm, but will still be strong enough to deter him with the smell....or a proper sisal scratching post if you don't already have one.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Sounds more like the cat wanted to be on the other side of the door than just needing to scratch. Cats object to barriers.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the bag of cookies i bought from the bakery this afternoon turned out to be oat and raisin.

19. Vault-Tec

My fave :D

20. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

Just add a tub of ready made custard and you're sorted.