1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Whats the best keyboard mouse/mat, wrist rest combination?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 21 May 2009.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

What is the best Peripherals, including awesome mouse mat for gaming.

Budget £150.

I am looking at Razor, what are their premium models?

Is there a better alternative than Razor?

2. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

Logitech G5 or G9 is cheaper but still as good as Razer if not better. for mat the Razer Goliathus series.

Logitech & mat option would be under £50

3. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I am currently using a Logitech G9 and before that a G5.

Inbetween those I had a Microsoft Habu (Razer design & build). I hated it. Before I bought the G9 and went out and tried out a couple of different ones in shops. I found that I really, really didn't like the feel of the Razers. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them at all; many, many people will say they are fantastic, but for me they are a waste of money.
    I'd have to say the G9 is the best mouse I have ever had.

The best thing I can suggest with a mouse is see if you can try some. Once you have narrowed down what suits you, people will be able to make more detailed suggestions.

As for a keyboard, I have an old G15 which I do like, mainly for the screen, as I can see who is chatting etc in teamspeak.

4. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

I am currently using a G7, and it is by far my favorite mouse as of yet. You do run into limitations with battery life (especially over time, as the batteries don't hold as much of a charge) and for that I can't recommend it as a long-term choice.

For keyboards, I have fallen in love with Deck keyboards and I don't think I'll ever buy a different one. I have two (82 key Fire and a 105 key Ice) that I bought over 4 years ago, and they are both in perfect working order. The "Ice" is still my daily driver. Support for these boards is second to none, they are completely open with the layout and specs, and almost encourage you to personalize it.

Awesome stuff :thumb:

5. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Well, i Just got a Logitech G15, a Roccat Kone and a Roccat Taito, and love them.

Keyboard is great to use, just a little loud. The Mouse feels amazing, and is so sensitive and customisable, and the Pad is big and smooth, and very grippy so it doesnt slide around.

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

g7 or g9 and g15 or g11 both great mouses and both great keyboards.

but before you buy a new mouse you shiould go to a shop and test them out to see which one suites you the best as people have different opinions on all of them, like my friend dosen't like the g9 but likes the g5 so you need to get out there and start testing, you could even ask for a discount at the store if you buy a keyboard as well as a mouse

do you need speakers as well?

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I've been through quite a few mice in my time but I'm now using a Razer Deathadder paired with the Destructor mat, a combination which I've found to be the best so far.

As for keyboards, I seem to game much better on keyboards with low-profile keys so I'm currently using a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, which I love, but I've been looking at getting a Razer Lycosa, even if it's just so that all my peripherals are from the same team.

8. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Have to say the Lycosa and Deathadder almost swung me, but i dont like Blue Lighting :p

9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

another kone/taito user here, if you have big hands there really is no alternative

10. antasari

antasari What's a Dremel?

I tried a Lycosa but the keys weren't readable enough for me. It was made worse by the fact that I had the Mirror version which gave me a lot of glare off the screen. Yeah yeah, touch typing and all that, but I kind of like the luxury of being able to see. Other than that it was nice, except that the feel of the keys was OK but not stunning (perhaps the standard rubberised Lycosa is better, haven't tried it). Sent it back.

As it happens ... I've switched to a Logitech Illuminated instead. Love it. Looks great, great key action, nice narrow width. If you really need 56 gaming macros or a huge girth as a masculine psychological substitute this is not the keyboard for you but, for mere mortals, I agree with SMC it's pretty fine. Keeping this one.

smc8788 likes this.
  11. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Good to know, and means I'll be 60 quid better off in the coming months :thumb:

13. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

logitech g15 keyboard, logitech g5/ g7 (still getting used to a high dpi) mouse and a steelseries Qck mousepad. probably go for the steelseries ikari laser and a steelseries 7g (might be a bit expensive though.)

14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

this is a pretty impressive combination, thanks for this esp the pad.

do you think the razor wrist pad would allow longer gaming for you?

* Do you have a picture of this set up?

15. crosshair

crosshair It's life Jim but not as we know it

Agree. G11 & G5.:thumb:

16. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I've switched between the Logitech G5, Razer Copperhead and the Logitech MX518 for the past two years or so. I must say my favourite is the MX518. Sure it's a lower DPI, but it doesn't matter. It's got buttons where I want them and it's comfortable.

As for keyboards, I've got this big bulking thing which uses the old spring construction method. Like the IBM M-Seires. Sturdy as anything. I rest it on my lap when I play so my wrist isn't hover or arched in anyway. Kind of a relaxed style. Mouse goes on desk above it, find it super comfy. ¬_¬

Also, I superglue'd a teflon mouse mat to my desk. It used to slide about too much, so I brute forced it into place. :)

Last edited: 22 May 2009
  17. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

G15 v1 Keyboard is a winner and like b5k says, the Logitech MX518 is an awesome gaming mouse. 8 customisable buttons plus scroll and i use them all during a heavy Cod4 session! It has bnever let me down.

I hear the new version of the G9 is coming out that will have a housing the same shape as the 518..... that could be tempting!

18. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

If you want the best, i believe that there is now only one keyboard that can fit that criteria, the Logitech G19
    I also highly recommend all of the razer mice.

19. bagman

bagman Minimodder

the logitech g19 does look awesome but that is here whole budget

20. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

With a little digging it can be found for £115, leaving £35 for the rest - enough for a razer deathadder and i am sure the OP can find £10 down the side of the sofa or something for a mouse mat.