1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's your take on the past decade?

Discussion in 'General' started by play_boy_2000, 18 Dec 2019.

?

2010's

Poll closed 31 Dec 2019.
  1. Dumpster fire

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Bad

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Same old sh|t, different decade

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Good

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. I've been on hallucinogenic drugs the whole time; it's been awesome.

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's uncanny, I didn't even have to mention you by name! :lol:

adidan and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

And, most of it's just for the camera.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

If arguments aren't the heart of Christmas then I simply don't understand this holiday.

Fingers66, adidan and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Indeed, I wasn't feeling at all Christmassy until I heard the woman next door effing and jeffing in the direction of her husband this morning.

Ah, Christmas! :happy:

liratheal likes this.
  5. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Edit: whatever

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

adidan likes this.
  7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think the direction this thread has taken is somewhat apt.

fix-the-spade likes this.
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Don't let a Musky fanboy spoil your day...

9. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Personally, I think the whole thread has lost it's purpose, entirely... what was (seemingly) meant to be an open invitation to offer personal appraisal of the decade past turned into a heated, two-person debate/discussion on one persons' business activities & the underlying ethics at play.

On any other Forum, this would have been locked, pages ago.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

@Jeff Hine , maybe, but remember that this place is famous (or is it infamous?) for its thread digressions :D That said, I think that it might not be the worst idea for someone with mod powers to create a separate Elon Musk thread and move the relevant posts from this thread over to the new one. Then the Musk chat can continue if necessary and everyone who wants to chat about the original purpose of this thread can do so undisturbed. No need to lock any threads imho, but a bit of mod/admin intervention to hive off the "off-topic" chat would be welcome.

The_Crapman and Guest-44638 like this.
  11. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Yeah, problem is the forum administrator is the one who started the pissing contest. Who moderates the moderators?

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Dude, I don't work with bit any more. It's just nobody's bothered to downgrade my forum account.

As for who moderates the moderators: the other moderators do, obviously.

And no, I rather think you'll discover it was a certain someone you might find in a mirror who started this thread by claiming the only good thing to have happened in the world in the last ten years was the existence of Papa Musk.

To quote:

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hey Gareth, any chance you can flex those mod powers (assuming they still exist) and hive off this Musk chat into a separate thread so that those who want to discuss the original topic can do so without further derailment? Please?

And if you don't have the power, can you let me know who does so that I can petition them directly? Thanks.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

T'wouldn't be something I could do - I'm a participant, and using the moderator tools when I'm a participant would be an abuse. You could put in a report and the actual moderators would take a look, though - but I don't know if they're available at teatime on the last Sunday before Xmas...

(Also, I wouldn't know where to put the split: the very first post in the thread is the one that brings up Musk...)

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ack, I'm not asking you to pass judgement on the arguments, I'm asking you if you would transplant the discussion out of this thread (where it's become increasingly off-topic) into a new thread where you and anyone else can discuss Musk to your heart's content.

But sure, I will report my own post and ask for mod action. Seems a bit redundant if you're the sole active mod, though...

And do we have a list of current mods? I'm toiling a bit to recall who retains their mod duties these days.

16. Gareth Halfacree

But to do that, I'd have to edit Playboy's original post to remove the Musk reference (otherwise all we're doing is removing the criticism and leaving the praise, which ain't the way forward) and move it into the new thread - and then that opens up "well, what else might he have edited" issues. It really does have to be someone else.

As for who's a mod, I think there's a way to see anyone with the "moderator" tag - clicking on it, maybe? - but I'm on mobile right now, and I'm not 100% certain.

EDIT: No, that didn't work. Maybe that was on the old forum software.

17. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

You all need to stop taking this so seriously.
    The internet is for arguing.
    Threads are meant to be derailed.
    I've found a way to feel superior to you all.
    Hitler. There, I did it.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I shouldn't have laughed as much as I did, but you are so right.

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

As I see this, threads getting derailed and going a bit wrong is just one of those things that happen on forums, not worth worrying about too much. Just leave the thread alone and let the fanboy mutter to himself.

20. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Point conceded. He does use twitter for good though (product feedback, positive discussions, etc).

Elon time, Valve time, election promises, forward-looking statements. It’s all BS, but everyone knows it. When Elon eventually does deliver though, he generally knocks it out of the ****ing park. You see anyone else landing rockets on a barge or getting even remotely near the model 3 on a performance+ features per $ basis?

Statistically speaking, work is the safest place an American can be. They are 3.5x more likely to die driving to work, 6.9x more likely to die in a household accident, 1.5 times more likely to die by homicide and 3.7x more likely by suicide.

Sure, Tesla can do better and I sincerely hope it’s a top priority, but in the grand scheme of things it’s a drop in the bucket, so in the context of this argument it’s meaningless and thus I don’t care.

Also, just for fun, google “[insert random auto manufacturer here] worker death”. Turns out everybody loves maiming and killing employees.

At least he’s giving it a go and not quitting when he figures out that it’s going to be harder than first anticipated. Half the problem with this past decade is stagnation, so excuse me if I got excited about rockets and self-driving cars instead of getting dragged down by this dumpsterfire and offing myself.

It was a life or death situation where minutes counted; he dropped everything and offered to help, only to have Unsworth tell him to shove a mini sub up his ass on live TV.

Here’s an archive of the tweets of him offering to help for those of you with selective memory:

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/18/17576302/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescue-submarine

EDIT: add the = at the end to make these links work

https://www.osha.gov/pls/odi/establ...dart=7.3&enddart=10.99&begindawfii=&enddawfii=

https://www.osha.gov/pls/odi/establ...dart=7.3&enddart=10.99&begindawfii=&enddawfii=

Nobody said you can sleep with autopilot on; as of now, you can’t take your hands off the wheel in autopilot/FSD as of the current build or the car will engage the hazard lights and automatically pull over to the shoulder. I personally view it as a safety augmentation device, but there will eventually be a tipping point where it becomes superior to human drivers. Also, FSD is a step above autopilot and is currently in beta; right now all it can reasonably do completely autonomously is freeway driving.

It’s the future, there’s no stopping it, so why be upset about it? Also, you’re only squawking about SpaceX because they happen to be first to reach orbit. Oneweb, Amazon, Telesat and China are all planning LEO constellations.

Everyone’s entitled to an opinion

I must say, your arguments are far better put together than Gareth’s. I too have an abundance of free time.... isn't there a saying about idle hands?

Sarcasm doesn’t convey well in writing, but do know that 'mind made up' quip was intentionally aimed both ways.

Annnnnnnnnd we’re off the rails

Last edited: 23 Dec 2019