1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other WhatsApp battery drain / OnePlus

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ElThomsono, 8 Nov 2019.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

If there are Android tags for this forum, I can't find them :hehe:

I've noticed this last week that the battery in my phone is draining like a tub, WhatsApp mostly to blame with near constant background use. I've just read this article so it seems it's not just me, normally I can get a day of heavy use or two days of light use, today I've used 50% in 4 hours :blush:

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm going to wait for a solution to materialise but for the time being it's a major annoyance.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Can you try uninstalling updates from whatsapp and then perhaps reinstalling? Settings-Apps-All Apps-Whatsapp-3 dots in top right-Uninstall updates. It might not be allowed for Whatsapp - I had a similar thing before with Google Play Services hammering my battery and uninstalling the updates then reinstalling sorted it. If not then perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling the app itself?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Are you running the beta or the stable? I'm on the beta, and I haven't seen the same problem - even though I've got WhatsApp Web active in a browser tab on my desktop.

upload_2019-11-8_10-39-45.png

That's after unplugging it at about half-seven this morning.

4. ElThomsono

Will I lose anything? I'm sort of hopeful that it will get a bog fix soon but as it stands I'm down to 25% battery after six hours!

I've read about the beta being better, again, can I switch to that without losing any chat history, etc?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

In theory, WhatsApp backs your messages up to Google Drive (if you've set it up to do so) and can restore them on reinstallation. In practice, I don't think I've ever had that work.

You can definitely switch to the beta without losing chat history, though - it just installs over the top like any other update.

6. ElThomsono

Ah sod, the beta's shut. I'll give it a day then go about wiping it and reinstalling. Cheers for the input guys.

7. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

Run a manual backup just before you trash it and all the messages will redownload up to that point.

silk186 and ElThomsono like this.
  8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has, in the last 12 hours, also started using large amounts of battery with 40% used by WhatsApp in 12 hours.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2019
  9. ElThomsono

Backup feature is now hooped, there are a few comments on the news article I quoted but no solutions as of yet. I'm making good use of the power bank I got recently :hehe:

10. ElThomsono

Gareth Halfacree likes this.