1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs When a PC case mod isn't a case mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Feb 2018.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Staff

Bit much.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Only it isn't though, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/user/PewDiePie

61m subs. Sixty.One.Million.Subscribers. For a load of old tosh.

That's the in thing now though isn't it? seeing kids sitting around watching crap like that eating potato chips.

As the human race progress is becomes progressively lazy. This is also why we have given our industry away, our factories away (greed is a part of it too) and so on. This is why China will be an ultra power leaving every other country on earth in its dust because it is willing to do all of the things we don't want to.

As ironic as it is the sketch Lee Evans did about people being lazy these days is bob on.

"WTF next? pulling up to the drive thru and saying "Can you chew it for me? I can't be bothered... Can you pass it through your bodily system FOR MEH... *puffs* I can't be bothered"

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Last edited: 24 Feb 2018
  4. Vault-Tec

I couldn't agree more tbh. Facebook is rife with armchair managers who could all do a better job lol.

I like my footy, but then I also like riding my bike.

5. Vault-Tec

Seems there is quite a lot of confusion going on here.

No diss to Tom, because it's good of him to get involved with kids getting them on the right track, but apparently people who play PC games are a part of the modding community, as are those who build computers.

6. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Nah, China, Thailand, Vietnam etc will have to change their business model very quickly, because the shift away from exploiting cheap human labour is already under way:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tr...panese-manufacturers-to-bring-production-home

7. DbD

DbD Member

If it's not a "mod" then it must be standard part. For PC's standard means what you buy from Dell or hp.

So you can buy a standard pc from Dell, fit some LED lights and it's a mod. Whether you had to drill a hole to cable the lights or not doesn't matter. It's no longer a standard Dell pc - Dell will not sell you the pc you just made - your PC is now essentially unique. This is exactly the same as modding cars - if I buy a ford fiesta and stick LED lights to it you can bet the insurance company would says it's modded.

If you home build it's a mod by default - your pc probably exists nowhere else, it's a one off build of your specific set of components, doesn't matter if you had to tweak the case - you just made something that's your own just for you to your requirements. Both my previous builds were "mods" designed for silence and gaming performance. The first I drilled holes in the case to make a new fan inlet so I guess everyone here would say that is a mod. The second I didn't need too, I just removed a bunch of unused 5 1/4 front slots and stuck an air filter over it to get the extra airflow. No drilling holes in it, just sticking stuff too it (sound damping foam, the air filter) and picking my set of components to go in it (my choice of low noise fans, my choice of cpu heatsink that fits the airflow direction I was working on). I can pretty well guarantee no one has a pc like mine in the whole world, it does stuff the stock case does not (quieter, but still better airflow), yet some would claim it's not a mod? That's just silly.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

I think there should be a 'build log' section, probably sat under the hardware section. I'm sure there's a 'show us your rig' thread somewhere in hardware that could get pinned if you just want to put up a couple of hardware pron pics up, or put a thread I. The buildlog section if you fancy a more in depth review, explaining part/design choices. If you've made a little mod to something pop that little mod in the modding or watercooling section, which ever is appropriate.

I think in general people know what constitutes a proper project log. I'm part way through a rebuild which is taking an extortionate amount of time (shock:rollingeyes:) partly because I'm so finicky, I've been ill and/or exhausted, but mostly because I know if I rush it I'll fudge something up, get pissed off and break something expensive. My rads are 'modded' because I've removed the paint, I've stuck some heatsinks to the gpu backplate for additional cooling, I've drilled some holes and sorted a mounting system for the Heatmaster, I've modded the bought mounting arms for the aquaero and used other nuts and bolts so it fits/sits how I want it, I've used a couple of bits from another case to sit the res on for cooling the pumps with a few heatsinks stuck on and I've got a support I made for the vertical gpu mount. There's a fair few little mods in there, some old some new, but mostly it's just the case and the parts being used as they were designed to be used. Dual wc loop and all.

It's not a case mod, it's not project log worthy (although there will be a build log), it's just a build with a few little modded touches.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2018
  9. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Staff Administrator

we're reaching into the definitions of English language now. Mr Halfacre will possibly be as well suited as any other to comment upon the uses of English, and Athony Leather and his cohorts in editorial know our language very very well.. they are the tools of their trade.

The word Modify means to change or alter, normally a material thing.... but of course can also mean to lessen or reduce when used in relation to behaviour.

(But Mod is also a dude on a Scooter in Brighton with trousers too tight... )

I agree that to modify a Dell PC with a strip of LED's does make it ... well....modified.

So the general populace, (ie us) learn the context of the subject and then decide.

Changing the side panel case screws to thumb screws USED to be a mod. They cost some dough too 15 years ago. Now they're are... bleh.

Relativity would be a good word to use with Mod. Dunno how yet... now thought it through.

Mod Relativity Score (MRS) 1/10?

Would that work?

10. adidan

adidan Avatar is back out of season.

I thought that related to modern and modernism?

Not sure and I guess it's not overly relevant :confused::)

11. ModSquid

ModSquid Member

Obviously one of the more divisive (in a constructive way) articles of late, on a topic which has bugged me for years. I too don't believe putting off-the-shelf water parts together, however well, constitutes a mod of any description, let alone "of the month".

There is certainly skill involved in some of the more interesting builds, but not always anything more than a design choice. Worth remembering that many cases these days are designed exactly to accommodate various internal build options/layouts, so in effect you could on some level simply be choosing to build with one of a number of pre-selected manufacturer's internal choices, determined by which mounting points you use.

Chrome-plating your own otherwise-unavailable tubing should be considered a basic mod, but let's face it, any PC build these days could be considered a mod if we use the definition of it "having been designed for my own use using parts I personally selected". I believe the differentiation should instead be made between a mod and a custom build. Using off-the-shelf parts, in any combination, is a custom build, chosen from a set of (admittedly approaching innumerable) options. This pipe, that waterblock, this pump, this colour coolant, in this case, equals just one of the possible options. It may be unique to you, but there is also the very small chance someone else could have exactly the same build, given these parts sell by the container load.

Once you alter/adjust any part of that setup to a non-commercially available SKU standard, not only is it modified by definition but it also becomes unique. This should be what we define as mods as opposed to a custom build. Custom builds also have their place, but should be seen as such. You will of course get varying degrees of mod - as above, drilling a hole and installing a switch is a mod, but lower down the scale than a full CNC-milled side panel reservoir. To me, there are case mods, scratchbuilds and custom builds although this may seem a bit like semantics. I'm open to the last category having a different title..."option builds"?!?!

Separately, I totally agree with the point about case manufacturers passing "new innovations" off as their own ideas. Glass/clear side panels and PSU covers being prime examples.

The_Crapman likes this.
Tags: Add Tags