PSU When do you upgrade your PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Otis1337, 10 Jul 2017.

?

When do you upgrade your PSU?

This poll will close on 10 Oct 2017 at 12:01.
  1. When the warranty runs out

6.9%
  2. Less than every 5 years

10.3%
  3. Less then every 8 years

13.8%
  4. More than 8 years

3.4%
  5. Wait till it goes bang!

65.5%
  1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, and they were brand new - which raises the point that it's not good to be at either side of the bathtub curve, eh? Perhaps buying a one-year-old PSU second-hand is the optimal solution, providing the warranty is transferable!
    According to Wikipedia's summary of the 80 PLUS standard, required efficiency for a 230V non-redundant power supply in order to get certification varies from 82% at 20% load, 85% at 50% load, and 82% at 100% load for non-metallic 80 PLUS up to 90% at 10% load, 94% at 20% load, 96% at 50% load, and 94% at 100% load.

In other words, you want to be running your PSU at 50%-ish for whatever you use it for most. If you only turn your PC on to game and it draws 400W when doing so then you're going to want an 800W PSU; if you leave your PC running at idle and it's drawing 30W, you're going to want a much smaller PSU that can still handle peak loads (so, if it's 400W while gaming and 30W while idle, a 450W-or-better PSU). The idea being to spend the bulk of your time as close to peak efficiency as possible.

Realistically speaking, though, we're talking a two-to-three percentage point difference in efficiency at different loads, so at the end of the day buy what you want!

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Yeah it's 50% load for long life, even consistently underloading a big psu can have its problems.
    People seemed to go mad on cases and power supplies back in the day and bigger was always better.

Things have changed and smaller, cost saving and efficiency is the tech fashion now.

I did a online calculation, my system pulls aprox 450w, so another 850w would be perfect for me. Looking at leadex superflow II, but not decided on pulling the money trigger yet

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I should be OK with my AX1200 for a while then lol.

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Member

I think form-factor is a big reason too.

If you might ever go SFF, why not get an SFX or SFX-L PSU now?

(turns out the reason is short cabling!)

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I was also going to respond "when it's too big". Gone from ATX to SFX, looking at short FlexATX and distributed power (separate AC-DC and DC-ATX modules).

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

I tend to change it when I have a major hardware change. I just like new smelling hardware. :D

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

I think I've only owned four PSUs in the last dozen or so years.

The first (brand lost to the mists of time) did about five years' service until it had to be replaced after experiencing spontaneous combustion (suspiciously, immediately after a house move). It was replaced by a stop-gap Antec non-modular effort, which was then replaced a couple of years later by a much nicer CM modular PSU of the same wattage. That continued to serve proudly up until a few months ago, when I moved to mITX and obtained a second-hand Silverstone SFX PSU.

All of these units were 500W jobbies (although the SFX is actually 600W, but I didn't buy it for the POWA but for the form factor). So that's one change due to catastrophic failure, one on the grounds of convenience/cable management and one due to change in form factor.

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Member

I still have a AT supply I use when testing peripherals. Within my systems I only replace power supplies in the event of failure or when I wanted a newer higher efficient model that was fully modular cable.

9. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Generally its around every 5 years or so for me. Although my last power supply was replaced at 7 years old.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

When the old one dies.

I bought my first KW PSU some years back, to replace an 850, and well. If it keeps working I'm not going to spend money on it.

11. nimbu

nimbu Active Member

Option 5.

Though tbh as I have downside and chopped about a bit I have ended up buying additional PSU's etc.

Right now though I have the 600W SFX Silverstone one and a corsair RM650. Prior to the RM650 I was rocking an Antec True Power PSU which was awesome, just not fully modular. So I ended up picking up the RM650 (uber cheap deal off avforums classified). I only got the SFX PSU as I was making things smaller and needed that form factor.

I used to really scrimp on the PSU back in the day (anyone remember q-tec?), but after a while I started to subscribe to the buy a decent one and it will last. I invested in a Tagan for a long time, then an antec Neo Power and then the true power and so forth.

12. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've seen people selling Q-Tecs on ebay calling them "Golden Gaming Power Supply" I had one, I think I was one of the lucky ones as mine worked for years even after I sold it to someone else. I suspect it has either died or been binned or blown up in spectacular fashion by now.

13. Ljs

Ljs Well-Known Member

My HX520 is probably about 10 years old. I cracked it open a few years ago to inspect and it still looked pristine inside (not a spec of dust to be seen).

I don't imagine I'll replace it unless it conks out.

14. nimbu

nimbu Active Member

I still have mine too its in the shed somewhere!