1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will we be able to aford mechanical hard drives again

Discussion in 'Western Digital' started by mediapcAddict, 24 Nov 2011.

1. mediapcAddict

mediapcAddict What's a Dremel?

Hi

i can't be the only person wanting to know when prices will return down to their pre flood levels ?

there are only 2 main manufacutrers of mechanical drives right now
    western digital and hitachi
    and
    seagate and samsung

( not forgetting toshiba fujitsu which are about 10% of the market )
    is there any chance you could keep us informed about what is happening with supply and prices.

thanks

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'm in your case, I wanted to buy a 1TB since I moved my 2 caviar green 1TO into my synology. Now I'm stuck with a sluggish 160GB HDD in my main rig :wallbash:. Even second hand 2 years old 1TB HDD are going for over 100€

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

End of 2012.

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

How long it's going to take seems to depend on which analyst you listen to. I haven't read much about it for a couple of weeks, but then the general consensus seemed to be around the end of Q1 2012 to sometime in Q2 2012.

5. mediapcAddict

so far theres no accurate info on whats been destroyed how long before it will be up and operational and even if the manufacturers would rather have prices a little higher. there are only two main manufactures now seagate and samsung are one and western digital and hitachi are the other.

I hate to say it but I recon faugusztin is probably right by end 2012 they should have back log demand and panic over-stocking taken care of ( oem and server clients will get first dibs probably) and manufacturing back to decent levels. However I wish some people from the hard drive firms would give us a clearer view on things

I almost bought 4 2tb samsungs b4 the floods. I was on the scan site and thinking I was going to need them pretty soon but noticed the price had gone up from £55 ish to just over £60 and though
    " damn I'll wait till stop trolling me on price and buy some next month or after christmas if needs be " - had I bought I would have £800 worth of hard drives. :facepalm:
    This has been the first and probably only time in my life when I could buy the latest computer technology and wait for it to go up in value over the months.

anyways at least I managed to get a couple of drives before they failed to sand bag their factories.

Does anyone from western digital read these threads?? Cos I really want to know as much as possible about the hard drive situation. I mean it sucks for the thia people that goes without saying ( i think they have snakes that can swim ehhh) and life comes before tech obviously. but a little word from a corporation about when we can start buying their products at sensible prices is all I'm asking for.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  6. GiggleStool

GiggleStool What's a Dremel?

Yer I completely agree. I heard about the price fluctuation but didn't realise theyd gone up in price so much!

I have plenty of storage so Im not too fussed! But it would be nice to know when I can get a 2tb drive for about £60 again!

7. nataliemeyer

nataliemeyer What's a Dremel?

I agree .I got these that we will have to wait whole new year for prices to get down.

8. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I know the Design & Development Direct - Just waiting for him to respond to an email then I'll ask him.

9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Just got an answer - obviously a busy man... He just typed "no problem" to the end of q1 beginning q2

10. mediapcAddict

now I just got to find something to fill the void till april/ may

11. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Plenty of good deals keep appearing in the hardware bargains thread, it's pretty easy to get a 2TB drive for around £80.

12. Splooshiba

Splooshiba Minimodder

A friend of mine bought 2 drives, 2TB in capacity each, £140 for both of them today or maybe yesterday, think it was a daily deal on scan.

edited to make sense

Last edited: 27 Jan 2012
  13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just to clarify, I'm the friend, and they were £73 each for a 2tb hitachi 7200rpm drive.

14. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I found 4 x 250 Gb SATA I Maxtor drives and have them in a RAID array to give me 6Gb/s and all 1 Tb, all for free ! Also found four 120mm server fans...

dunx

15. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I was told by a retailer that things should return to normal in around a month. Nothing to support that but that was his information.

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Saw a 3TB sata III caviar green for 140€ today (limited offer though).

17. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

i think i bought my 2tb wd green hard drives before the flood for less than £50 each. these will do me fine for the forseeable future. I feel as though i got a lucky excape

18. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I was gonna buy another 2 x 1TB Samsung drives but then the prices rose so much. I will get a 120GB SSD for my OS before I pay over-inflated prices for a hard disk then use my existing 1TB drive for storage. I have 2 WD laptop drives 180GB each that I use in Raid 0 for my Ubuntu drive and they are blisteringly fast.

We have to be creative in these tough times!

On topic:
    I believe that when supplies are back to normal prices will still be 20-40% above what they where before. Companies get greedy and the balance of power has shifted from the customer to the supplier in the HDD market. They call the shots at the moment.

19. si93

si93 What's a Dremel?

Still kicking myself for not buying an samsung f3 drive earlier, really don't want to shell out the the extra cash but then it'd be stupid to run a new system on an old IDE drive. Annnoying.

20. elitebag

elitebag Banned

The price always raise fast .It is difficult to lower I think.