1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News When will we have enough Wattage?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Jun 2007.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i have a total embargo on all computer things that consume to much power. make them efficient and i will buy them.
    i am voting with my wallet.

2. tacticus

tacticus New Member

generally less than if it was running at 80% load

3. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss New Member

and how many house fires have there been due to these products?

Just a curious question, but how much power does two 8800GTX's draw? I have an 850W PSU at home, and if i have to upgrade my PSU again just to SLi my machine, i'll be pissed. (i'll have to mod the case first just to fit the buggers in, but that another story :p)

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The entire system (with two 8800GTXs) will draw around 500 W is my wild guess.

And indeed things with larger fuses are always more likely to cause fire than the ones with small fuses... That thing can cause so much heat without popping the fuse it doesn't make sense.

5. TomD22

TomD22 New Member

160 Amps? What? Am I missing something obvious here?

Power (Watts) = Potential Difference (Volts) x Current (Amps)
    P = V x A
    A = P / V
    A = 2000 watts / 230 volts (standard for UK sockets)
    A = 8.7amps.

Where the hell does the 160 come from?? My electric kettle puts out 2000W of power and I can assure you that it draws no more than 13 amps (the standard fuse in a plug) at the max from a 230 volt socket. If that power supply really did draw 160 amps it would not only blow the fuse in the plug on it's power lead, it'd probably also trip the breaker for the whole house.

So, what? I guess I'm just missing something here?

(and on another note - anyone who uses a tumble drier, electric kettle, electic water boiler (worst of all), etc etc really really doesn't need to worry about how much power their PC draws in comparison)

Last edited: 7 Jun 2007
  6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As explained previously, it's 160A on the 12V line. 160*12 = 1920W, which is (as near as dammit) 2kW.

7. zoom314

zoom314 Member

Here We use 115vac and the standard is a 15A breaker for wall sockets(3 prong, power, neutral and ground), My Main breaker is 100A, Other houses have 200A main breakers, The 15A breaker can be replaced with a 20A breaker, But the wiring has to be the bigger 12/2 or 12/3 instead of the 14/3, As to outlets I've never seen one rated for 20A though, But then I don't think 20A much less 15A would ever be pulled through one outlet. Heck the aluminum no. 1 cable I use between the parks pedestal and My manufactured house is rated only for 100A as The largest breaker on the parks panel is also 100A. I will be looking at adding a couple of 115v circuits soon, But It's not cause of a psu, It's cause I have 5 PCs and My front room circuit is maxed out power wise with 3 PCs and 6 other electric devices and My Kitchen is not far behind with 2 PCs and the Kitchens 16 other devices. I'm lucky I just reduced My electric usage recently as I exchanged a malfunctioning 220v clothes dryer for a used gas clothes dryer which uses 115v for the controls and the electronic ignition of the natural gas, I'd have a few clothes lines outside, But since I live where sand/dust blows a lot(60mph+ gusts anybody?) and the lot is really tiny 28'x70' or so in size, So a clothes line can't be done as My house takes up 14'x60' and the Car port/driveway is 11'x60' in size, Besides Its not like I could fence off an area to keep theft down, I don't have the cash to do that even If I wanted to. The old dryer is going to be scrapped as the gas dryer was a free gift to Me from a relative that was just sitting around that My relatives didn't need. Oh and the park will take care of the old dryer, As they'll just take It to the dump I'd expect.

8. TomD22

TomD22 New Member

Aha. That makes a lot more sense :)

I knew I had to be missing something simple....

9. zoom314

zoom314 Member

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

pulled from extreme.outervision

System Type: Single Processor
    Motherboard: High End - Desktop
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2400 MHz Kentsfield
    CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Video Type: SLI

SATA HDD: 2 HDDs

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 2 Drives

PCI IDE Card: Yes

Fans
    Regular: 2 Fans 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 100 %

Recommended Wattage: 534 Watts

you do raise a fair point with the fire issue tho butthat is mostly caused by faulty wiring besides those product are designed to create heat where as the psu it is only a by product so cannot really be compared

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

intresting PSU you only be 2000W in the 220-240V
    even if the US or any other place that uses 100-120v power grid you find it darn hard to use that much power in an PSU any way As the load is only there when its been used not just been pluged in will not use 2KW
    that link is so cool its powering an AMP and an speakers useing 1.2KW of power an Very high end gameing PC probly push at most 600w in use

12. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Well, using the 380V ac lines is just a question of time i think. But the power drawn from them could be massive. Here it's 16A on the 380v line. But the power meter would run amok. And imagine if you had more than 1 PC turned on at the same time.. That poor power meter would get dizzy and start to glow at night.. Why not just piggyback the airlines now where at it. 10kV is the standard here from station to station. Then we have 100kV and 60kV..

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, guys, nice you are all doing maths, but you are forgetting the power factor and such on the AC side. That being said, stop the calculations, because they make no sense. The PSU will only draw as much current as needed... That's 750W max... So don't worry about that. Nice media stunt, but hardly usefull, and probably utterly expensive...

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Word on the show floor was that the graphics guys with their ultra complicated gpus top out at just 40% efficiency, the rest is pissed away as heat. So if you up that to 70% with a LOT of R&D (yet no return) then you'll only have a fraction of the heat output.

The PSUs may only draw the current needed, but they also don't work effectively until at least about 50% load. It's important to match a PSU to the system.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That's what I've been crying about since day 1 and no-one listens to me!

16. loratio

loratio New Member

Buy this PSU and a quad core cpu + quad gpu and a mobo that pulls 100+ watts. Install it in your Hummer H2, drive around town with open windows and your aircon on at full blast and give everybody the finger...

This is absolutely idiotic.

Who needs ice caps anyways. Let's do what we can to rid all that terrible cold!

...sigh

Tags: Add Tags