1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Where do drafts go?

Discussion in 'General' started by ModSquid, 13 Mar 2022.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Right. I'm cross. And it's early.

Having wasted loads of time typing notes that I never finished, whether a fault of Brave, me or the machine, I used to find that the bit-server/my browser/whatever would retain them, even across devices. However, I'm now finding this isn't the case (also losing pasting picture functionality, but that's a different story I'm still investigating with no success) and I lose everything, so I started saving drafts via the disk icon.

Having saved them though, I have no idea where they end up! Can anyone shed any light on where I might be able to find these incredibly important internet records?

Wicked :rock:

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

No-one?

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've just tested it with a browser tha's never seen this forum before so it seems to be handled by the forum itself and not some odd aspect of Chrome or the like.

Have you tried logging out and back in again? :worried:

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I haven't done that, but I have refreshed the browser page to renew the credentials. I think you're right that it seems forum based as I can type something in the browser and then open the page on my phone and continue, but for the life of me I can't find a saved drafts link or repository. Doesn't even show up under the drafts button above, just save or delete (which I was loath to press).

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I use Vivaldi on the PC and DuckDuckGo on the phone, functionality is the same on both.

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, okay - so where do your saved drafts get filed? I'm talking about the ones saved via the disk icon in the toolbar above the very box in which I currently type...

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I've been faffing about with this for at least ten minutes now and I haven't the faintest idea.

So we can save drafts, we can delete drafts but for the life of me I can't work out how you see the draft you've saved or want to delete.

My head hurts now.

ModSquid likes this.
  8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, thank God - glad it's not just me.

I was thinking this might be another one of those moments of "stupe-Squid-ity" I tend to seek assistance with. In that case and in the absence of a solution, I suppose the best thing to do is make sure I complete whatever I'm typing and not rely on it being preserved anywhere.

Thanks all though, esp @adidan for confirming my sanity is in fact intact. This time.

adidan likes this.
  9. adidan

Hey @ModSquid don't relax too soon, we may both be sailing in the pedelo of stupidity :happy:

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ha! Off into the sunset we go! You grab the ice-creams, I'll get the esky :grin:

adidan likes this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

FTFY :lol:

adidan likes this.
  12. adidan

Thanks, although I think it perfectly sums up the sentiment of my post :happy:

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

That is weird, phpBB drafts were found in your user profile. Not sure what the forum's running on now though, XenForo? Is it maybe an option that's not been enabled to save on storage?

14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

As far as I understand it, and @MLyons will likely correct as necessary, the Save Draft button simply stores the draft in the database which then gets recalled upon hitting the same page again. Like others though, I've never used that button and get that behaviour anyway.

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I did think it might be something like that, but whenever I do go back to the page, the text has gone. This didn't happen before.

One thing that has just occurred to me - I am logged in on two machines at the moment as I do different tasks on each. I wonder if I've inadvertently got the same thread(s) open across the two browsers and the profile is confused as to which text to display ie. which is the most recent, perhaps defaulting to either a blank one or throwing out an error...? That said, is it then possible to save a draft for a thread on one browser and recall it on the other? And additionally, can you save more than one draft from different threads against your profile, or is it more like a clipboard where only the latest is saved?

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I seem to recall managing to lose a saved draft by visiting a thread on two different machines in succession and composing on both. Which led me to believe the forum just retains the draft content from the most recent browser and scrubs previous browsers' drafts. I could be wrong though.

I now copy important draft content (like my highly anticipated and earth-shakingly important Avatar review) into Google Keep, just for peace of mind.