1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Where do I put this?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by TX297, 24 Dec 2003.

1. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Well this evening I just finished upgrading my stepdad's PC. Everything went in perfectly. I thought to myself, "oh, cool, can't wait to get this thing running". We put it down on the floor and then went tnto plug the monitor in... where? Turns out the video card was built into the old motherboard, as well as in the other 3 'parts' PCs we have. How the heck can you build a PC and forget that you need to plug the monitor in somewhere? I shake my head in disgrace.

Tomorrow I'm going out and buying a cheap Kaser $40 video card just so we can use the monitor.

What an idiot I am.

-TX297

2. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

we all make mistakes dude/

let me be the first to say

:hehe: :hehe: :lol: :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :rock: heheh

hope u get it sorted

3. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Well, I went out and bought a Kaser card with 1 VGA port and was done with it. It cost $30, and we didn't need anything fancy. It's running XP now.

To fuxx0ring and beyond!
    -TX297

4. Shogun

Shogun Banned

Dont you just hate it when you finish something and you find out you are missing something vitally important?

5. RR5

RR5 New Member

My advanced repair instructor in school built a system and when it was time to power it on, nothing happened. So he rechecked everything. Nothing. Hmm he called tech support, first thing the guy said was "Did you check the CPU" Of course he said, I'm elite and all that jazz. Well he checked. :blush: He didnt close the ZIF handle.

After he did, pc booted just fine.

That story was told to us by another instructor.

Everyone makes mistakes. Learn from them.

6. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

lol!!

well heres mine.

i went to a jank yard and found a 128mb sdram stick whoo i was only 12 then im 15 now:) since yesterday

so i got home put it in the pc hit the power botton booted fine so i could hear,,hmm. but the screen had threee colours on it i thought oh well ram dont work then dam. so i went to unplug the power cable to remove the card oopps!! the friking monitor was not pluged it lol. so i pluged it in and she booted fine and ram did work fine!

and thne i pluged a floppy drive power cable in the wrong way to see what would happN BANG! spark smoking woohho that was fun!!:clap: and pc was still fine. floppy had black marks on it so i booted it out side it brok into 3 pics!!

7. [t0rc]

[t0rc] New Member

All I can say is just be happy it was somethin that simple to fix. A lot of other mistakes (known from experience) can be much more costly than $30....

8. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i have heard of over clocking my palm so i did it worked fine

5 weeks later i could not hot sink so it took me 4 hours checking all the connections and it still wouldnt hot sink so then i rememberd to clock it at the normal speed and it worked

9. dirtbiker

dirtbiker New Member

Well, i fitted my new Aero 7 today, had to take the ram out to remove the old heatsink. Got it all fitted... went to turn on and the pc wouldnt boot, just sat there beeping, so i thought oh **** what have i done? Checked all the connections, looked around, saw the ram. What a fool! :lol:

10. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I haven't done anything stupid :p I am l337!!!

Ok, I have... I wondered why my p4 1.5 would not boot up at all, the heatsink fan didn't even run. So I went to bed crieng, pissing, and moaning thinking I had burn't out my computer buy hooking it all up on the carpet floor. Then in the morning, after calling a few places to see how much a new mobo/proc was... I noticed the atx power cable lying beside the mobo.. So I thought oh... I am JUST STUPID... and then remembered that I had unplugged it earlier last night. Then I decied, why not try it anyways... worked fine..
    I tried remembering a little harder since my mind was cloudy earlier. I had unplugged the atx power cable to install the ram....

ok.. that was my pathetic story of the day.. smithe me if you will..... :lol:

11. RR5

RR5 New Member

Often times I'll uncable everything to give my case a good cleaning. When I cable everything back, suddenly cd rom drives are not being found by the BIOS. Or my CD RW is not behaving.

Its all solved by uncabling the ide cables and slowly recabling them. It works! Do not ask me why this happens to me? Maybe its me only?

12. -Xp-

-Xp- Member

how do you put the HSF on the chip with the ZIF handle sticking straight up in the air? That woudl surely cause what I would call a "device conflict".

13. RR5

RR5 New Member

I believe by close, they meant he did not push it down until it locked. Which would not put pressure on all the CPU pins.

14. -Xp-

-Xp- Member

That would make sence...

Hehe, not as bad as pulling the processor out of the socket with the level still down (it was stuck to the heatsink, I was drunk)...I think I damaged the socket doing that.