1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Where have all the micro-ATX motherboards gone?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Jul 2018.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I agree, as more and more component are integrated into motherboards, especially with wireless included in mITX boards, very few have the need for ATX.
    I'm planning to make a small mITX build for when I move to China and will build a mITX server for network storage in the future. With 8TB+ drives coming down in price we have a lot more flexibility.

2. adidan

adidan Avatar now in stock for xmas 2019

Been a while since I upgraded.

I guess when I comes to doing so next year it sounds like the mitx boards are pretty feature packed. I only need the 1 GPU slot, what with M.2 not even much room needed for ssds.

Arboreal likes this.
  3. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

I agree entirely with this regarding many mITX boards being fully-featured, and if anything I'd take this one step further and say that the vast majority of PC users don't need anything bigger than mITX, let alone mATX.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Arboreal

Arboreal Well-Known Member

I've said this before, so apologies for a quick rant about mATX board layouts .
    Why oh why oh why are so many boards, wasting space?
    The Asus Prime B250 Plus is IMHO very well thought through.
    I bought it because:
    1. Although 24x22cm it still has 4 Dimm slots
    2. 2nd M.2 mount is in place of PCIe slot 2, usually filled with an unusable 1x slot
    3. Pcie slot 4 is 4x in a full length slot, so will take a 4x M.2 card, sound card or WiFi card.

The 'better' B250m gamer only has 1x slots and 1 M.2 mount at more money.
    The newer MSI boards have an unusable 1x slot in position 2 and the M.2 mount in slot 3 WHY? The other way round would allow a WiFi and sound card in slots 3 & 4...
    The poor old Strix Z270G seems the only really well specced 6/7 gen board and is still lacking some of the Gene magic :(

The Strix B250/H270/Z270 ITX all have 2x M.2 WiFi and above average sound setups. I note that the Impact daughter card for sound is no more other than on the Ryzen ITX
    So if 2 Dimm slots are OK and 1 GPU are all you need, and WiFi is onboatd, mATX is not in the running
    /rant

adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

That's a fair point.

It's been so long since I bought a board my views obviously hadn't caught up with the changes in mITX improvements.

1 GPU, 2x8 or 2x16gb ram, an M.2 and some SSDs. I run ethernet through homeplug anyway so the only other thing I need is onboard sound.

Do all that and I don't have any complaints do I really? Well besides then thinking my matx case is too big and demoting it to the loft with my atx cases :)

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Reading most of the replies, I'm definitely in the minority here in that the one time I tried a mATX board, it felt like a complete waste of time. For a gaming machine, I've found modern mITX boards to fit the bill almost perfectly (if I really want a super-tiny system, a NUC is the only way to go unless I want to suffer through an RPi/ODROID, which are fun to play with but troublesome for a daily desktop) and for any larger system I usually find myself wanting to stuff it full of GPUs (because some of the programs I use get close to a 200x speedup moving from CPU to a single GPU...)

I've gamed using SLI in the past (multiple GPUs was a prerequisite of nVidia Surround initially) and did a stint of SLI 4GB 670s, but always felt like GPUs need a "blank slot" between them (or a small card like a NIC/small soundcard...) to get that little bit of extra breathing room. Obviously if you watercool that isn't so vital. Since mATX doesn't have room for that "blank slot"... it's automatically disqualified...

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Arboreal

Just read this having missed it earlier...
    TJ08E is a nice case, I'm running one for family PC 2.
    Hadron And Hadron Hydro? Epic stuff! Never seen either, but they look great.
    I'm sure I read about someone nodding a Hadron to take mATX, nice compact powerful setup.
    We've got 2 mATX and 2 ITX family PCs plus my ITX LAN rig and the mATX B250 which is my tinkering rig in a glacially slow case mod.
    Last ATX rig was a couple of years ago and was a hand me down Q6600 from my uncle, before that my own last ATX board went 7 years ago!

8. Arthur

Arthur Comment is over there ----->

Whats wrong with EATX boards ? Thats all i ever seem to buy.

9. Arboreal

Nothing, 'horses for courses'
    I happen to like smaller more compact rigs, and agree that more choice in decent mATX is needed.
    I understand that not all of us can 'make do' with 2 Dimm slots or no additional PCIe slots however capable ITX is

10. David

David RIP Tel

Even my server is ITX, housed in an In Win MS04 box.

11. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Nothing, but you don't need a choice of 15 near identical boards with the same chipset / socket in one form factor while other form factors get 0 -1 each.

Arboreal likes this.
  12. silk186

silk186 Derp

That is my plan. I'm currently living in a London apartment and I tend to move every 1-2 years.

13. David

David RIP Tel

Just rebuilt my rig in the Hadron Hydro chassis - just air cooled for the moment. I probably could shoehorn the GTX 980TI Hybrid in there but I didn't have a lot of time today, and I snagged one of these supercheap:

[​IMG]
    So I stripped out the 1070 mini and stuck it in my rig for the time being.

Still really tempted to grab a Dell XPS laptop or something similar and use this for gaming via TB3.

Yeah I saw one project log, where some mentalist modded the Hadron to accommodate mATX, as well as XFire R9 Nanos. Watercooled, natch. :jawdrop:

Arboreal likes this.
  14. Arboreal

Nice server case, I can see why you sold me your Microserver.
    Has the SG13 look to it methinks , congrats on the GTX1070 deal.
    Is the cooler an odd shroudless one with a single fan?
    I know someone on SFF forum split a cheap EGPU kit and took a 1070 out.
    I hear you can sell the case on for a few £ :D

David likes this.
  15. David

David RIP Tel

...and yet I still have a Gen 8 Microserver too, plus my QNAP NAS box :duh:

No it's a standard Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini OC inside.

No kidding - the sold prices for the box, sans card, are astonishing.

16. adidan

What. Exactly. Do. You. Have. On. Them. All?

17. David

David RIP Tel

Oh, you know... stuff. :lol:

The MS04 is usually (but as yet still unpacked) the media/file/printer server for the house, and a mirror for the NAS box which is my main backup/archive - two 4TB HDDs in RAID1* - the Gen 8 is gathering dust and likely to end up on feebay.

*Before some tedious tw@t says "but, but, but RAID isn't backup", it's one part of my backup system - I keep an encrypted portable drive in the car as an off site backup.

18. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

Gareth Halfacree and David like this.
  19. David

David RIP Tel

To be fair, that's probably in there somewhere too.

20. Arboreal

Add Asus to the list...
    Hexus article on 19 leaked Asus Z390 boards...
    15, yep 15 are ATX (apologies if some EATX) leaving 3 mATX, no mention of a Strix 'G' yet, and a single solitary ITX Strix 'I'.
    Still, that's 3-1 to mATX so far

Tags: Add Tags