1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Where is bit-tech's GeForce GTS 250 review?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Mar 2009.

1. crispy

crispy New Member

I can understand why NVIDIA wanted to rename the card to match the current numbering system. For someone just starting out, it is much easier to look and see 250, 260, 280 etc and understand where the card falls into the current line up. Not everyone spends hours studying the reviews and BFG Tech's website before buying their next card.

After saying all that, it is disturbing that the same card is being renamed a second time. Why not be up front about? And just say, here is the 8800/9800GTX+ slightly updated, under the current numbering system. Test it, but basically it is still a 9800GTX+ which is fills a needed price point. NVIDIA, just come clean and don't be silly.

I currently own five BFG video cards, four in use and one headed for ebay. I switched from ATI due to poor driver support and have not looked back until now. With the recent actions indicating that NVIDIA is not worried about the consumer, then less support could be the next.

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

if it were just bringing one card into line it would make sense, but nvidia seems ot be rebranding more cards than they are releasing. 8800gts512->9800gtx->gtx250, 8800gt->9800gt, 8800gs->9600gso->gtx240, i think there have been more lower-end rebrands too. it would have been easier just to call the gtx280 a 8900 and the gtx260 a 8850, then they wouldn't have to keep rebranding stuff.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The problem is that Nvidia refuses to acknowledge this, if they did, it'd be perfectly fine.

And the other thing that really grinds my gears is that they created the 48 SP monstrosity out of the 92 SP 8800GS/9600GSO.

I'm okay with this due to the really low price cuts, but changing the type of the card while it's still selling(making it worse too) is inexcusable.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

oh my, what a nice little riot this is.

Tim, i think it would be most definately worth it to review this card and do a FULL benchmark of it against other G92 parts. It would be even better if you could somehow get your hands on one of those "special" review samples and compare it to a store-bought part.

Debunking rumours and false advertising is exactly your job, and there's more bull surrounding this launch then any other card in the past 12 months. I suppose sorting everything out and deflating all the talk would piss off nVidia, which is bad for your business i suppose. However, you'll gain massive brownie points and community credibility, something you need to adress since the Dennis takeover.

Reviewing this card is therefore a MUST for bit-tech in my very humble opinion. Good luck hunting for the parts! :D

5. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

well it appears that they only sent samples to sites that would give the card review with flying colors, look at Tweaktown:

"The card does represent very good value considering the HD 4870 starts at around $200."

"Crysis Warhead and World in Conflict, it pulls out some good wins and even beats out the more expensive HD 4870."

and gave it a high value score even tough it comes with a bare minimum kit

I don't know when they wrote this article but as of last Friday 4870s were nearing $160

I think PCper was the only site to say along the line "This could have been a great card at $160 but...

6. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

I think the anandtech review was pretty fair, and I actually thinks this seems like a fine card. And regarding the rebranding issue, you guys should try to look on the positive side of it! It's much easier for customers to know which card is the faster when they're similarly named.

7. Elton

It is a decent card, the only problem is that they forgot to mention that it's the 9800GTX+ and outright denies this, if they didn't however, it'd be fine with me.

And stop pulling the Houdini on us and keep the card the same please.

Finally, the G86 chip is getting old, shouldn't they be trying to make something better for the low end segment? I mean $70 for a 8600GT is NOT worth it.

8. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

Hopefully someone has enough moola to get a 8800 GS or 9600 GT.
    Also, a 8600 GT can be had for $50. BFG 8600 from newegg. $35 Open box Zotac 8600 GT

8600 GTS can be had for $55.....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130394
    Or......$85 MSI 9600 GT w/ free shipping & before $25 MIR.

9800 GT can currently be had for as low as $100 on newegg.

Remember: I'm sure Nvidia has GTS/X series cards coming for the low-end, while increasing performance a bit.

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

oh wow. They will use the same G92b chip in the GTX 280M mobile part aswell, meaning that they are now using the G92 in:

8800GT
    8800GTS
    9800GT
    9800GTX
    9800GTX+
    GTX250
    GTX280M

This is downright deception. Are they TRYING to piss people off?

10. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

yeah they got issues :blah:

11. Elton

My Original meaning was that they're scamming people with the 9500GT, which is $70 and not worth it at all..

And yes you could get the 8800GS(discontinued, good card though) and the 9600GT, but not many people would know this, they'd think...oh! 9500GT>8800GT because the number is bigger.

Tags: Add Tags