1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Where is it?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BananaTom, 19 Nov 2020 at 14:06.

1. BananaTom

BananaTom New Member

Hi,

I only came across this forum pretty recently while spotting Bit-Tech channel on Youtube.
    I was looking how people are customize their PCs now days. And I was blown away by projects quality and advancement. Was attracted to forum by tubless build from nhenhophach which is amazing.

After seeing other builds I realize that I need whole machine shop in order to make something decent

So I have started a scratch build I would like to share with you. It wouldn’t be so impressive but some of you may like it.

Main concept is to make a pc for my kids that I also could use for CAD lessons once a week or less.

Spec wise we want to run modern games and graphical software, CAD etc.

Now, pc itself have to be small. We only have very limited space. House we living in is on the small side and it does not look like it will change any soon so have to coupe with it. We have a little space between wall and build in wardrobe where small desk is fitted. Another thing is money it always is ☺️ I’m limited to £1500-1600. So after ordering all part month ago and going over spending limit here and there. Just couldn’t resist that ultra wide screen monitor from IIyama while I was making research what to go for :
    Ryzen 3600 - £154
    Asus B550-I itx -£199
    Crusial BalistiX 3600 C16 - £64
    Seasonic Core GM 650W - £86
    SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB - £99
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super -£410
    AIO Corsair H75- £63
    IIyama 34” ultrawide IPS - £400
    = £1475+ deliverys = about £1500 + mice and keyboard at some point.

There's not much left to play with ☹️ May end up borrowing, which I try to avoid. To add to it I’m also limited on tools, power tools and space (have a little garage that isn’t a workshop) and I’m living on the island witch doesn’t make things easier in terms of availability in hardware stores, plus pandemic madness.

Let’s jump to build after positive introduction

After placing that big monitor on such a small desk (W120cm X D55mm) it was looking hilarious with no space for anything else.

Initial idea was to do small mini-itx case and very basic to cut on costs because it’s hard to get one and they are expensive.
    But as I quickly realise that not going to cut the mustard

So thinking for about a week and watching tons of small builds and wall mounted pc ideas, I had been inspired by Matt from DIYperks on Youtube and his folding desk build. Perfect for limited space and will fit my small budget if I plan that right. Another thing is this big monitor that never was a plan to buy. My kids are still young and go wild every now and then so don’t want to limit them in terms of “watch out for this and that”.

Sum up: limited space, limited money, limited tools and work space, make it safe, save as much space as possible, made out of available materials, have fun doing it.

This build will be a pc desk you wouldn’t be able to tell it’s PC, once its folded. No design plans just old style pen and paper ;) (my laptop is crushing running fusion 360). Also pictures will be a bit crap because of my old phone and my photography skills. I’m new to writing a blog and English isn’t my first language so apologies in advance.

OK so far I’m about 1,5 week in a building process. And I have an 1-2h a day after work plus weekends.

That’s what I have done so far:

Main material is soft wood and plywood.
    It's the only thing I could get in my area.
    B&Q is almost empty and delivery to the island to expensive. IMG_1 (1).jpg IMG_1 (1) (6).jpg
    Idea is to fit monitor and PC in the box together.
    IMG_1 (1) (11).jpg
    IMG_2.jpg IMG_202.jpg IMG_20.jpg
    Monitor moves on drawer runners and it's lifted by linear actuator.
    IMG_1 (1) (14).jpg Stand off for motherboard and vents added. IMG_1 (1) (27).jpg IMG_1 (1) (16).jpg Main shape and rough view before rounding the edges, cuting top in 3 sections and painting to give it more pleasant look.
    That's it for know

Attached Files:

lowfat and Cheapskate like this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's a good start. You found some pretty nice wood, (no cracks or knot holes,) You should try to stain and varnish it instead. Paint requires extra sealing and surfacing.
    Also, Welcome to Bit. :D

3. BananaTom

BananaTom New Member

Thank you. You run brilliant website and projects here are top class.
    I'm planning to paint the box part white so it will blend in with walls a little bit. And for top part I will use wood dye and will seal it with poly-wax form OSMO only because I have it left over. Did my worktop with it and its looking good.

4. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

Looks great, really interesting design going to keep an eye on this project. Welcome to Bit-tech :)

5. BananaTom

BananaTom New Member

Adding spring loaded hinges on both sides for 2 pop up control panels. I think left side PC front panel, right side back lights and actuator control.

IMG_3-1.jpg
    Flaps fitted and working fine.
    IMG_3-2.jpg
    Managed to sand and prime the box.
    IMG_3-4.jpg

I also wrapped monitor lifting frame with carbon vinyl.
    IMG_3-5.jpg

6. BananaTom

BananaTom New Member

My goal is to make this looking and working decent enough just using tools I have got available.
    And make it as cheap as possible. Will include a BOM at the end.