1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should I stick my Crystal Orb???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dr_kazza, 29 Nov 2001.

1. Dr_kazza

Dr_kazza What's a Dremel?

you dirty boy...

not bought one yet but I know they are for Gfx Cards... but also read that they are for chipsets on the mobo too...

Which chip(s) can you put them on for any use? (and how does an idiot like me work out where that chip is ;))

Also how easy is it (generally) to get off the old fan from a Graphics card (e.g. one of the Ti GF3 cards)

also I read that you are supposed to use Arctic silver epoxy but people are cautious because they don't want a blown fan glued to a perfectly good mobo/gfx card. is there an alternative

help moost apprectiated :):)

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AFAIK the orbs are all the same size and all the same basic design with pins in the rigth places. The blorb fitted my Geforce sdr ok, dont see any reason for it not to fit a GF3. Its easy to remove the existing HSF from your gfx card, just get a credit card (or something softer if poss) - lay it on the agp pins and slide it underneath the existing HSF. then slide a flat head screwdriver underneath there too, and leaver upward with the end of the screwdriver you're holding, pushing the edge of the HSF upwards and it pops off. Make sure you have the credit card all the way in though as you dont want the end of your screwdriver diggin into the PCB.
    The clean it with a knife VERY CAREFULLY constantly rubbing with a solvent like ethanol or isopropyl (not water) to remove the crap excuse for thermal paste they use.

What mobo u got?? Ill find a piccy and point out the northbridge to you.

3. Dr_kazza

got a MSI K7T pro2a at the moment but the one I'd be fitting it on would either be the MSI 266a red thingie or preferrably the soyo dragon.

I always got confused which one you're supposed to put it on because they mention it briefly then go on to talk about

Northbridge
    Southbridge
    Promise controllers
    Raid controllers...

what do they all do and why is the Northbridge the only one that gets hot?

Thx

Kazzza

4. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Northbridge... cooling any of the others won't do a lot I don't think :)

r.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's not true cheese. Cooling the others will help, but they dont need to be cooled that's all. Ive epoxyed ramsinks to my southbridge and RAID controllers and they *do* get hot. It helps with OCing, but i think it helps with stability really. Ive only done it cause i had some spare.

The Northbridge controls the agp, ram, and cpu timings and has to work very hard in comparison to the southbridge that just has to run the IDE, PCI (and ISA) bus'.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/category.htm?cat=Comp

This is a great site on the basics of computers - take a look how how a motherboard works and itll explain everything :)

in the meantime ill find your MSI mobo for you....

[​IMG] <-- Your KT266 mobo. This doesnt have a HSF on the northbridge, but if you look just left of the CPU youll see a little black block with VIA written on it - that's the northbridge. The Southbridge is the smaller black block directly below the PCI slots, again with VIA written on it. The audio chipset is the other black block just left of the yellow connector at the top. That pic doesnt show the RAID chipset and other IDE connectors (you will see 4 connectors on a RAID mobo, it would be down the bottom left - you can see the smallish rectangular space left out on the PCB.

Details: http://www.msi.com.tw/products/mainboard/mainboard.php?model=MS-6380 v2.0

[​IMG] P4 mobo - but this has a HSF on the northbridge in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Nov 2001
  6. Dr_kazza

[​IMG]

the soyo dragon :)
    cor lots on that board... i see the northbridge is cooled... I may ditch that for an orb... and the southbridge (right of the PCIs??)
    is that the raid to 5oclock of the southbridge?

any guesses as to the ones to the right of the PCIs? one must be a soundcard, and one the ethernet bit... oh well they won't get a heatsink anyway so never mind...

Thanks for that bindi. :):)

Last edited: 29 Nov 2001
  7. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

A Crystal Orb on the Soyo's Northbridge would look Sweeeeeeeeeet! I'm definately getting one for my Graphics card as well though!:cool:

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest