1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Where to get Aluminum?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Archtronics, 10 Jul 2010.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Hey I notice alot of people using L shaped aluminum and panels in there models I was wondering where you source these kind of materials from, as alot of the sites I would have used seem to have stopped selling the items.

Thanks

2. Delta Nine IT

Delta Nine IT New to this but not to Modding!

need a trade supplier dude, check you local yellow pages for metal workers and trade metal suppliers

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/

Never used them before but there prices seem very reasonable, not sure on postage costs though.

EDIT: just checked their shipping costs and they aren't too bad really.

4. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Ebay has some good deals :D

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I mostly buy Alfer profiles. They are a bit on the expensive side but come pre-anodized from the extruder. Here in stores that supply them, they can be something like 9€/m.
    Local UK representative for Alfer: http://www.rothley.co.uk/index.asp

Another good source is your local junk yard. I bought some 40m of 20x20mm rect. alu tube for about 20€. It was scrapped by a factory (Ruukki Oy) because the local producer (Purso Oy) had produced a defective run. The tube wall thickness was only 1.1mm as it should have been 1.5mm by spec. Also, after scrapping the material had been mishandled. Expect to find some dents and scratches here and there.

7. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

The larger hardware stores or similar ones that sell anything for your house use to have L-profiles and flatbars, some even commes pre anodized.

For bigger sheats or not so common shapes, I would recomend searching for the local metal suppliers. The smaller company the better, since there is a chance that the larger suppliers don't bother selling to private persons. Try to find a local supplier where you can pick it up by yourself, since some companys don't ship small quantities (if this is not a part of their buisness). I have a local supplier here in sweden that I call an tell what I want and what lenghts. I pick it up the next day and this often ends up the cheapest since it is the easiest way for them. Try to find mosething simillar. Since you often pay for the weight you can get L-profiles a lot cheaper than the hardware stores.

Good luck

8. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

B&Q should have a selection of aluminium shapes but you do have to check they're not bent because most of them are like pretzles.

Moriquendi

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Thanks guys I will have a good look into those :)