1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which 128/256GB SSD for main drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 5 Feb 2013.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hey folks.

I'm in need of a minor upgrade. Having moved most of my data to other drives the system in my main pc is a bit redundant. Currently I've got a 32GB OCZ Vertex Turbo (Hey, it was 2009 and that's all we had to play with) for my OS drive and a 500GB WD Black for /home (essentially a mix of my documents and a few program/config files if you're not linuxy). I'd like one big SSD to replace all of this with. I really only need a 64gb drive, so I was thinking about going 128gb for the room but 256 isn't much more expensive.

Which SSD would you recommend then? PC Is my main workstation and it's just used for web browsing, office and basic design stuff for my website, tends to have uptimes of all day to a few days and as I've said the drive would be the OS drive and a few locally stored documents. Rest of system is hardly bleeding edge but it's not exactly slow either. Its a Phenom 955, 8GB DDR3, GT440 all on a MSI 770-C45. Worth noting that with debian's extremely low resource requirements I definitely believe that disk access times are the current bottleneck in my system even if it is a few years out of date.

I've been looking and the Samsung 250GB 840, the Sansdisk 256GB Pulse and the OCZ Octane 256GB are all around £130. Seem reasonably well-recommended here and elsewhere but I'm led to believe the OCZ Indilix controller is outdated? It's a name I recognise from my first foray into SSDs so it's probably ancient by now!

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Jack

2. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I believe the ocz octane is one of the products that are getting rebranded into something newer so yes, definitely outdated. Out of the ones you suggested the 840 is your best bet. You could try to see if you can get an 830 instead although harder to find (mine is great so far).

Other suggestions: OCZ Vertex 4 or OCZ Vector

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree with the suggestions above. If you plan to do a lot of writes, DO NOT get the Samsung 840. it uses the same crappy chips as on USB drives. So, writes are limited.

If you want peace in mind and you just don't care how much you write on it and just want a HDD feel and experience, get MLC synchronous NANDs which what both the Vertex 4 and Vector uses (this is why they have 5 year warranty). Other popular models of this type of SSD's are the Corsair Force GT/GS, Corsair Neutron GTX, Intel 520, Samsung 830 Pro, 840 Pro, Crutial M4.

Med range models exists, where they use MLC but asynchronous NAND, so writes are higher than TLC type which the Samsung 840 uses, but not as much as the synchronous type. This is why they have 3 year warranty. Popular models are: OCZ Agility 4, Corsair Force 3/Neutron, Crutial V4, Samsung 830.

Synchronous NAND for MLC type SSD's are also faster and benchmark reflects better real world results over asynchronous NAND.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

That's questionable. It's certainly not as durable as drives with synchronous MLC NAND, but it's on par with asynchronous MLC. And even then it will last anything you throw at it. The 840 they tested here lasted for 400TB of writes, which is 10 years at 100GB a day: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

The OCZ Vertex 4 they tested also lasted for 400TB. The Crucial M4 did 800TB. The Samsung 830 took more than 6000TB. The OCZ Vertex Turbo which OP has lasted for 100TB.

The disks are of different size though, so the results may not be directly comparable.

I've been using my 830 pretty heavily (system disk, plus I also have my programming projects on it, and the page file and the hibernate file) for about 6 months now, and I'm just short of 1TB of writes. At 2TB a year the 840 would last for 200 years, and you can probably double that if you get the 250GB version.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2013
  5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I am saying what reviews sites are saying and specs
    What you have is what some guy did, while its fine, it's not reflective of the every drive. We don't know if the 840 had chips in the middle of the wafer to last longer, and that the Vertex 4 had a manufacture error. If Samsung was sure that it deliver such a high amount of writes, then it would come with a 5 year warranty.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Vertex 4, M4 or 840 PRO.
    I had M4 for a while and then jumped to 840 PRO and noticed a difference with a bare eye.
    It is a bit faster than M4.

7. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Thanks people. Placed and order for a Vertex 4. Decent brand, that extra 6gb, synchronous. Bonus :)