1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 1TB HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 13 Oct 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Ok, i am now in need of more storage, as my storage is starting to fill at a rapid rate, and also starting to sound crunchy as hell, noise of the drives has definatly gone up with no increase of the size of data stored. So rather than testing them which would stress them to hell, i shall gracefully retire them into a long term backup solution via NAS or something, i.e once a day backup but keeping total data low on the drives. Incase your interested there both Maxtor 160GB SATA, from after the seagate purchase of maxtor i believe.

I shall keep my Hitachi 250GB HDD 8mb cache as boot for now, potential shifting games and large apps on the 1TB to speed up general performance.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

the seagate is a little cheaper, and i would rather avoid samsung spinpoints due to QC issues i remember hearing. I want solid performance and long life. I have always trusted Hitachi drives but the maxtors (160GB) were bought on the cheap as i was in need of drives as i jumped from IDE to SATA, right after a new mobo purchase which caught me out with only one IDE channel! (needed for Opticals) I will in the next coming months be upgrading my opticals to SATA, and my Boot drive, but i want boot to be small, so any single platter drive suggestions aswell would be cool!

2. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Bump here as well. Looking on newegg through all the 1TB drives, I feel lost.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've had pretty decent luck with Seagates and WDs, haven't used a Hitachi in years, and won't be purchasing another Samsung after my current pair of 750GBs have both flaked out in one way or another at least once (reboot fixed it somehow, but it definitely wasn't just an OS problem - one went in for RMA). For the most part though, hard drives are all pretty much equivalent in terms of reliability and people just get drives from the odd bad batch and hold a grudge, myself included.

Look for what's offered in the warranty. Drives with a 5-year warranty tend to last the longest, as you might expect. Don't skimp over a couple of bucks, you'll regret it later. All drives will eventually fail, but after five years you'll probably have replaced it twice due to space requirements so it's a non-issue. Other than power requirements (like the WD GreenPower drives), it's pretty much the only way to differentiate drives of the same size.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No sub 24 hr bumps please, people will reply when they have time.

Get whatever is cheapest tbh. Samsung works for me.

5. stewis

stewis What's a Dremel?

I only really buy Seagate Barracuda's as i have always found these to be reliable and are nearly silent. (there's a 1.5Tb (Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA-300 32MB) on dabs for £130.00 may pick one up myself :))

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Sorry bindi, thank you for taking the time to clean the thread. Do you think a spinpoint F1 is worth the risk considering the amount of issues people are having.

7. computerman5

computerman5 What's a Dremel?

How much are your two choices, I have got to know the Fantom GreenDrive 1TB USB 2.0 and eSATA External Hard Drive is quite nice, all reviews for it are very good in buy.com it is now $120, it comes with 2 year warranty. And zipzomfly has a HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 0A35155 1TB SATA 7200 RPM 32MB Hard Drive for $100 with 3 years warranty, but not sure if it is very good. Personally I suggest you to take the Fantom.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Issues? Everyone has issues, there's no one brand that people will claim doesn't have them.

9. NickElliott

NickElliott What's a Dremel?

Exactly! You takes your chances, most of the time people only shout when there's a problem, for what it's worth my Spinpoint F1 works like a charm.....

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

All drives fail eventually, no matter what brand is is... Back up data regularly. That's all there is to say, really.

I tend to stay clear of IBM/fujitsu drives, though. Just a bad experience from the "deathstar-event"... ;)

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

well today i bought the Seagate, only £1 more than the samsung. Should be here in the morning, and when money is a little bit spare i shall pick up a Icy Box IB-3220-STU-B dual SATA External Hard Disk Enclosure for ~£50 to chuck my 160's in as a reduntant backup for those once a month major backups.

I backup onto DVD after 2 months anyway, but its hassle i would rather not go though reloading off DVD's so a easy to access HDD store is ideal!