1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Which 3-4Tb HDD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 12 May 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I note that I will shortly need to move to a larger drive on which are all my games. I have 518Gb of 1.5TB (1.36Tb) left and I wondered whether a hybrid is the way to go or a bog standard HDD?
    Any suggestions on which brand also welcomed.

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

What's you usage for the drive?

I just bought a 3tb RED for video storage for £90ish off scan, also considered this 4tb

Just saw your wanted thread.

Bit of a discussion on a thread here

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It's for my Steam and games folders. But whilst sorting through some boxes I have discovered a 2TB drive lurking which will keep me going for a while longer. Thanks for the suggestions.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Cause everyone just has high capacity drives lying around!

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Well I had a 2TB lying around and cannot remember why I bought it and more to the point why I did not use it. Still I will now and I have saved the expense of buying.

6. Mighty_Miro_WD

Mighty_Miro_WD What's a Dremel?

Hi @Kronos!

In this situation I'd prefer to go with a standard HDD instead of a hybrid if it's about a secondary storage unit.

SSHD drives are regular hard disks that have a small SSD drive that's used for caching. SSHD basically blends HDD capacity with SSD speeds by placing traditional rotating platters, and a small amount of high-speed flash memory on a single drive. So basically a hybrid drive only has a certain amount of fast storage (cache) for commonly accessed files, which means that the files within this cache are accessed at SSD speeds while the rest are accessed at standard HDD speeds. For everything else the drive functions like a regular HDD. You have no control whatsoever over what goes on the SSD portion.

Furthermore, the biggest con is that with the hybrid drives you have no control over what the SSHD stores in its cache - the drive uses a built-in algorithm to determine which frequently used files it will cache and everything that is not in the cache will run at a HDD speed, and unless you're going to use the same file very often you won't see a big deal of benefit.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! :)

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Very interesting thanks.