1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which 670 would you get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j4mi3, 12 May 2012.

1. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

i'd like two please.

That's a good price from dabs, i've never had issues with dabs, they've been really good at returns and full refunds, a wait of two weeks is nothing to me and normally they are also pretty good with stock estimates.

2. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

Ive ordered my ASUS card from DABS, use the promo code 'sunny10' for another 9.99 off!

Tribble likes this.
  3. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

EVGA SuperClock GTX 670 4GB w/Backplate just came into stock all over the place... I'm dying inside to wait for Monday for my distribution guys to get back to me to see if they can beat Newegg. In the meantime, I am desperately hoping someone, somewhere, will do a review of the card.

It doesn't look like there will be an ASUS DirectCUII 4GB... which I would much prefer to get... I am really hoping I don't end up having to spend another $360 on a pair of Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IIIs for me and one for the wife.

4. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

I would have gone with a 4gb superclocked

but I just didn't like the look of them. The asus' look much cooler imo, both aesthetically and literally

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

There is no point in 4GB in most situations. Maybe if you are going SLI and using PCIE 2.0 x8 for the 2 cards or have a super huge resolution then it might help, though I can't say for certain without testing. If you have PCIE 3.0 x 8 or 2.0 x16, 4GB is not going to make a difference. I am quite certain now.

Bandwidth is the key, made a good choice there jamie

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

haha I hope I have and thanks. Also congratulations on managing to decode my username, you would be surprised at how many people have no clue what it means

7. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

P8P67 Pro (1x PCIe 2.0 x16 or 2x PCIe 2.0 x8)
    2 670s (SLI)
    3x 1920x1200 monitors (5760x1200)

I am doing ALL the things!!! Lol.

I wish there was a good review that actually compared SLI and non SLI in PCIe 2.0 X8, x16, and 3.0 x8, x16 slots... and where is a 4GB review with Surround tests... if I don't get any feedback or reviews by Monday, I am going to order the cards (provided they're still in stock).

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

well yours is a tricky one :)

You are going to want more bandwidth but the 4GB might allay that need.. I can't say as I haven't got the cards to test with

The video I posted on the 3770k thread 2nd page was quite eye opening about bandwidth..

9. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

If I understand SLI correctly, the amount of data needing to be mirrored between all cards increases with the number of cards. Thus the 4 card setup in that video seems to benefit greatly from PCIe 3.0, but a 2 slot setup might not make as much difference.

I already own the P8P67 Pro and Intel i7-2600k, just built the system a few weeks ago after hearing about the thermal issues of Ivy Bridge. My one fear when I built the system was that the PCIe 2.0 slots might bottleneck the then unreleased 6 series GPUs... I hope that fear isn't coming true.

If it is true, I might have to put this board and processor in a customer system and get myself an X79 board, but I was less than impressed with the amount of extra performance per dollar when I made the decision to order what I have.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I hold my hands up and say I don't know the exact science behind SLI, memory bandwidth and PCIE lane bandwidth. I am simply going by my own testing and what others have reported on this and other forums.

I was originally planning to keep my 2500k for the same reason as you but evidence suggested I may see a bottleneck on the PCIE bus, not just the video, there was a thread on another forum (Which I will have to go through my internet history to dig out). Hence the 3770k and IHS surgery..

Ill try to find that thread if it will help you make a decision

11. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Half the reason the 600 series doesn't seem to be able to fall over 2GB is artificial limits. How can previous cards need (And use) up to 3GB, yet suddenly these barely exceed 2? I call hax.

As far as SLI goes; It depends on the level of cards. SLI will actually not be enabled if you're crazy enough to try and run without the SLI bridge, because the Driver will look at the condition of the motherboard, both cards, look at the list of allowed SLI configs, then tell you off for trying. Simply because you're limited in the amount you can pass back and forth between the 16x lanes.

The SLI bridge, by extension, must be capable of one hell of a high data throughput in order to be able to make up the defecit. (In theory.)

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just thought I'd put it out there that the Palit GTX 670 PCB is quite sensible.

Has all the VRAM chips on the business side ready for proper full coverage water cooling. I hope EK don't skimp on the metal so it'll provide coverage for the Palit GTX 670 PCB...

[​IMG]

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

OK. Wanted to ask - if all those 670s can OC that good, why peeps don't buy Palit one, whcih is the cheapest and OC? Are those Palit cards bad or sth?
    How many of you have Palit cards?
    Just checking cause wanted to swap my GTX580 with that one and see when EK will release reference full block...

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I bought a Gigabyte because it has a quality cooler and a reference GTX 680 water block will fit my GTX 670!

15. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I didn't know a gigabyte 670 would take a 680 block, thats pritty cool!
    Are there any other 670's with long pcb's out there? I've seen the asus and gigabyte so far only.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I did read that EVGA would use a longer PCB for the higher end range of GTX 670.

Not sure if they have though!

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Will the ek backplate also fit?

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's a reference GTX 680 PCB with a GTX 670 chip so no reason it wouldn't fit.

19. Xunsu

Xunsu What's a Dremel?

I dunno its between the wind force or the asus DCII...but we will see how it plays out

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I took advantage of some good prices when I bought the Gigabyte GTX 670. Looking at the market as it stands today, the ASUS DCII GTX 670 clearly offers the better value.