1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which airflow

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NOMIS, 16 Jun 2005.

?

which option

1. option 1

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. option 2

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. other (please state)

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

hey guys i need your opinions
    which of these 2 airflow setups would be the best for my case i want to have it as quiet as possible really so i think option 1 would be better because it has 1 less fan which always helps quiet things down

anyway here are option 1:
    [​IMG]
    option 2:
    [​IMG]

the view is from the side as you can see by the labels front and back

the 80mm fan at the back is the one near the cpu so that would of course blow cool air over the cpu and into the cpu fan

please post which one would be best quiet and cooling wise, or post any other ideas of setups you might have

thanks heaps :)

2. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

i voted other. Becuase i beliebe you should have the airflow equal in the front and back or have the exuast stronger. put one 120mm on top, 120mm on in front and a 80mm in back.

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Other. You said you wanted it to be as quiet as possible. My opinion: put 2 fans in front and 2 fans in the back. You can run those at 7V.

Besides that, option 2 was not that good too, it sucks in air from the back, but that's where warm air from the PSU goes out as well, so it will be sucking in warm air.

4. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

warm air from the psu would rise (most of it anyways) so it wouldnt be sucked up (unless the psu is at the bottom)

you should do option 2, but have the back fan as exhaust instead of intake

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

other:
    I always run negative pressure in my cases (it sucks out more than it blows in) option 2 wouldn't be that great as the 120mm fan would be pushing on to the 80mm fan and run positive pressure is a good way to raise the noise level. It might work if you say reverse the back 80mm to blow out and 7v the 120mm fan that would be my bet. My secondary computer is currently running a 120mm on the front and 2 80mm on the back everything being 7volted

6. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

I want to use 80mm fans because I can't find/get any orange uv 120mm :p So maybe have option 2 with both 80's blowing out?

7. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Yeah, use option 2 but change the rear fan to take air out of the case. The power supply always does its part. From what I've read you should have more exhaust than intakes, helps with Airflow somehow.

8. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

ok so have both 80's going out and the 120mm going in sounds good :) cheers fellas

9. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

The things liable to get broken from heat are harddrives, CPU+GPU and PSU.

See to it that there is a good flow over your harddrives.

Then see to it that you get a good flow of fresh air over your CPU and GPU

Finally do not lower the speed of the PSU fan too much, better to let it make a little noise now than have it quiet and instead have it break down and kill your hardware later.

My tip: 120mm fan in the top of the case.
    Make a hole in the rear of the case for air to go past the CPU if there isn't one.
    Remove the extra port cover above the GFX card, most cases has one of those.
    See to it that the harddrives are mounted with a good space between them and in front of holes in the case.

10. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I voted 1, just because I lost a mobo by spilled liquid on the top, and I like the extra closed surface as a place to put junk. For the 120mm fan mount you could use one of the Coolermaster 4 HD modules (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...E1&other_title=STB-3T4-E14-in-3 Device Module , not great for frequent HDD changes, but does the cooling job well). I assume that the PSU adds another 80mm fan, so front and rear are better matched.

You may still want to put a regulator at least on one of the fans. If they are matched so neither has to work against a big pressure differential you get minimum noise for a given air flow, in my experience.

11. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

it depends on where your computer is, if you have your computer in a corner then the 80mm fan in the back will suck in hot air, but if it's in more of an open area it shouldnt be much of a problem

12. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

option 2 would work really well if you heatsink on your cpu fan blew onto the heatsink.

13. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

[​IMG]

Keep in mind a powersupply pulls air out of your case too.

14. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I would put a 120 front and same back :eyebrow:

15. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Dual 120MM goodness! :D