1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Which brand for switches?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpu121, 7 Oct 2006.

1. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

Which brand would you recommend for a rack-mounted 10/100 switch (either unmanaged or smart/web managed depending on the price)? However I can't find a lot of information about which company provides the best service, reliability, value for money etc, therefore can anyone name any brands worth looking at/avoiding based on your personal experience/their reputation?

So far I've looked at HP, Dell, Dlink and 3com switches - I've discounted dell as they don't seem to be highly thought off, but what about the other three?

Thanks
    cpu121

2. highgeere

highgeere Not quite there.

You're right about Dell. Their switches are pretty flaky. I'd say HP's are quite reliable and offer good functionality (varies with price, of course), but their service leaves a bit to be desired. I don't have any personal experience with Dlink or 3com, but I haven't heard anything negative about either.

3. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

The best which you will find for rack-mounted or any network hardware would have to be Cisco, I know every individual at this forum will ultimately agree with me.

4. ChriX

ChriX ^

It's all well and good saying Cisco are the best all the time, but for individuals and many small to medium sized businesses they aren't even a consideration due to the price. I have had many good experiences with the Linksys SRW224G4, 24x 10/100, 4x 1000, a decent price and lots of features to play with, almost silent too. 3coms i've used are hugely noisy, so it depends on the environment you are putting them into, nobody wants that in the corner of their office all day!

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Well... Juniper make better switches than dell *wink* but then again you can pick up a decent 2950 (24 port 10/100 2port 1000) cisco switch on ebay for a damn good price and that will work perfectly.

When it comes to Dell, i have a 24 port GigE powerconnect from them and it seems to work fine, it also runs a VERY similar IOS to the cisco IOS *ponders* and was 1/100th the price of the equiv Cisco one.

If you have the money, buy a brand new cisco switch, the service they provide is second to none, if not check on ebay for one, as you will be paying a lot less than retail, eg ::

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Cis...ryZ51268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cisco-Catalys...ryZ51268QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Even if it is second hand, it will still be the best switch you can get for the money you have.

6. cdawzrd

cdawzrd What's a Dremel?

Are netgear switches any good? I've considered buying some refurbished ones a local place is offering but want some thoughts from people if possible. I need them for a non-profit that absolutely cannot afford the "real" stuff i.e. $1000 in networking hardware, but would like good gigabit switches.

7. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I am a fan of Netgear, they make some nice hardware.

8. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

Cisco if your made of money, if not I tend to use the HP switches and newer had a problem, (except with the crapy power supplies on the 8 port switches!)

Steer clear of D-link I've had no end of trouble with the smaller (8 port) D-link switches.

Tags: