1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Which Crosshair?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 23 May 2020 at 20:40.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a system upgrade as this one is getting increasingly screwy! So I've decided on an AMD system and ignore the things I dislike about the x570 platform. I'm planning on dropping in a Ryzen 3600 now and then probably a 4000 chip when they come out. I'll recycle my current RAM, I know it'll hinder performance a bit but it'll be fine for now, that can be the next upgrade!

So I want to go for the Crosshair VIII, as they're gorgeous boards! But is the any reason to go for the Formula over the Hero? Faster networking, a bit of a nicer asthetic and cooler VRM's on the Formula for £100 more? Worth it? Also, does anyone know why AWD-IT is £100 cheaper than anywhere else for this board???

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

AWD-IT have apparently closed their website to catch up on orders. I wouldn't order there, it's likely that was stock from before Covid and you will just waste your time.

As to whether the £100 is worth it? I would say most definitely not. I don't know what 4000 series CPU you intend on getting but I can't see any of those pulling more power than the 3950x does (given it's a shrink) so the VRM shouldn't be an issue any way.

3. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

As long as it 'gets done' what you want, 'pretties' are pure value for money (what extras can you get for the same 'pretty' money that will 'get your jobs done' moire productively?)...

You might be better off putting that ton into a better cooler/SSD/graphics card.

4. Vault-Tec

5. Jeff Hine

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well now I just have to wait for WatercoolingUK to email me back about the adapter plate for my water block, as paying £10 shipping for a £14 item is a bit sickening!

7. Jeff Hine

WTAF...? Dick Turpin running their dispatch section...?

8. Vault-Tec

WCUK drop ship certain items. So they will come from Germany, hence the expensive shipping because they use UPS.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The £10 is from Aquatuning/alphacooling...

10. Vault-Tec

Oh I see. I am not even sure if they are in the UK, but at the bottom your shipping options are DHL or UPS. So so RM.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Also, I want to do a fresh windows install, but I don't have a key forthis windows 10 as it came with the board, what'll be the best way to move it over?

12. Vault-Tec

There should be a tool to extract the serial from the BIOS. Well, not extract it per se, but see it. Then you can use it on the new board providing it's not a business "wipe once only" license. It's no biggy, serials can be had legit for about a tenner.

13. Jeff Hine

If you link it to your MS account before you dismantle the build, you may get a free activation - gonna depend on how much you've already upgraded the build attached to the key, but worth a punt...