1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Which Distro for an old laptop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tomm, 27 Dec 2007.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I know, I know. Another 'which distro' thread and you probably don't care. Please hear me out :)

I want to build a media computer for my mum for the kitchen to allow her to go on the web, listen to music, podcasts and BBC radio online. I will be using an old laptop which is a Dell C610 which runs Windows 2000 very slowly at the moment. It's a P3, 256Mb, 20Gb hard drive. I don't think hard drive space will be that important, as I'd like to play most stuff across the network from her main computer (Running Windows XP). Like I say, at the moment this laptop is slow - it probably takes around 5 minutes to boot up from cold.

Requirements
    Wireless networking via a d-link USB stick (I presume I can just get drivers for this?)
    Compatible with aforementioned Dell laptop (with as few issues as possible please!) - Need sound, network, USB at least. It will probably be on a permanent power supply though, so battery management isn't that important I guess
    Good, easy to use networking - Allowing playing/viewing of stuff over the network SIMPLY (mostly audio and pictures, no video). Preferably using Windows workgroups (SAMBA?).
    Internet - Firefox I guess?
    Email
    Fast boot-up time - or if possible a low-power sleep state (like on my Mac laptop if possible!)
    Generally quick. No need for flashy, good-looking distros that will slow the (already very slow) computer down.

Not Required:
    Office apps
    Games
    DVD playback (CD-drive only)

Also:
    Simple media player requests - I don't mind it being reasonably complicated to set up, but once setup it should ideally allow a simple way of browsing albums/songs, and if possible CD ripping (though this is not essential). Even WMP is a bit too complicated for her, with the library/now playing tabs... Just MP3 required.

I have an xbox running XBMC - the interface on that would be perfect - very simple to select an album based on folders over the network.

In case you didn't get the picture - SIMPLE IS KEY! I don't mind a bit of setting up, but I am relatively noobish in terms of linux - though not for lack of trying! (In the past, I've tried Ubuntu, SuSe, Fedora and Knoppix, none of which have worked properly. All had issues I couldn't sort out :( ).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :D

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Debian + Fluxbox + thunderbird + mplayer ;)

3. Tomm

OK, I can't argue with that :D

Thanks

I've just had a thought - Will it work with the trackpad that's on the laptop?
    Also: the BBC streams are real media I think - do I need real player for linux or will that play with something else? Is real player for linux any less hideous than it is on Windows?

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I recon the trackpad will work... Touchpads usually do, so I think trackpads will too...

I use Gentoo, and on my system adding realplayer to mplayer is just a matter of adding a use flag... Probably on debian it's just installing a library ;)

5. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I wonder why 2000 is running so slow. I dual boot 2000 and debian+fluxbox on my p2 366mhz with 192mb of ram and 2000 runs just fine, fast and agile. Makes a perfect little machine to keep by my bed and surf the web/listen to music. If linux becomes too hard for your mother to learn you could always just go with a fresh install of 2000 which schould work just fine.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

My Dell C400 has very similar specs to your C610, but it runs Windows XP very easily. Linux will be a great solution, but there must be a problem with your current installation of Windows 2000 for it to be running slowly.

7. Tomm

Yeah I do agree re the slowness - I'm sure it's just full of the stuff that computer-illiterate people have on their computers that slow it down. There may also be issues with obtaining the Windows disk since it was bought from her previous employer and I can't find it.

I quite want to try and do a Linux project though - also I think when finished it *should* be both faster and simpler than a windows install, right?

Tags: