1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD RW... Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biff, 16 Jan 2008.

1. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Looking at getting a new one because I want a black one and SATA. Dual layer capability would be nice but quiet is a big priority. There seems to be 101 different ones out there for the same price, except the Plextors are over double. What is it about them that makes them twice as much? Does it really make much of a difference which one I get?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Plextor's are good drives, and their build quality is 2nd to none, but they are a touch overpriced imho.

I prefer Pioneer drives atm - I bought 2 DVR111's not too long ago, and they've been brilliant, quiet drives so far. :D

3. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Thanks,

I've been eyeing the DVR-212D if for no other reason that it has what I want. Reviews are good to but never any comments on noise. Nice to hear the Pioneers are quiet! Thanks!

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They're not amazingly quiet, but no optical drive I've ever found is truly silent. They're quite quiet when they're just idling too, which I find can be an annoying point for some drives.

5. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Plextor's 800 series drives are no longer manufactured by them, they're rebranded drives that are marked up big time. Their 700 series drives were excellent though, if you can find any they're very nice drives.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I can vouch for the Pioneers, having owned two, one IDE and one SATA, both brilliant drives.

Sam

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I'm another fan of Pioneer drives.
    I've got a 115 in my second gaming rig, and a 212 in this one.

In my experience... nobody releases quite so many firmware updates as Pioneer!
    They do so, primarily to help improve media support- i.e. support for faster DVD's etc :clap:

You'll find most other manufacturer's on the main page as well... but should you decide to get a Pioneer drive, you'll find firmware updates (including for the 115 and 212) on The Firmware Page :thumb: