1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage which hard drive brand?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sotu1, 21 Apr 2009.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys, thanks to all those who helped out with my hard drive questions in an earlier post.

I've had a look and I've got it down to a hitachi and a western digital HDD. Any suggestions as to which is better? Or should I just go with the cheapest?

It's for a Mac book Pro, one windows partition for games and a mac partition for work.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142445

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150515

Cheers guys!

EDIT: is there any good reason to buy more expensive RAM for the MBP? I'm thinking just get the lifetime warranty stuff from corsair.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142437

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146770

Sotu x

Last edited: 21 Apr 2009
  2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Western Digital no contest!

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

haha! awesome cheers! any reason why?!

do you have any thoughts on the RAM?

4. alastor

alastor Minimodder

The old Deathstar drives have put a lot of people off Hitachi I think :p

As for the RAM, just get whatever fits and has the best warranty for the price; as far as I know there's nothing special about "For Mac" memory. For the two you linked the only difference is the timings which won't make a huge difference, lower is better though obviously.

5. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

From all the hard disk tests I see, hitachi never wins and western digital often does, so I would say go with the WD :D

6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

brilliant, cheers guys. all questions answered. here we go 500gb HDD and 4gb ram...

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

samsund or WD both do very good drives i would avoid seagate though as i have had two of my back up HDD's break which were both seagate, lots loads of pictures and videos my parents wern't very happy

8. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

a hard drive is a hard drive. one is as good as the next. they all fail eventually. anybody who tells you one brand is better than another is a fanboy and should be ignored.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Yeah, i was thinking about this too. I was actually thinking whether or not there were any HDs that offered a lower battery usage, faster read rate, etc. anything that gave one a real edge over the other.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Western Digital Caviar Blacks Cheesecake!

Or Intel's X series/OCZ's vertex series.

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1tb is currently ruling the roost performance wise.

By the numbers it challenges the Raptors, although in terms of real world performance???

12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

This was for a laptop by the way...

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Western Digital, quality and performance. I had a seagate that died once, so they lost me forever.

S*D

14. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

That may be true of average lifetime notatoad (I don't know for sure, but it sounds plausible), but it certainly isn't true of performance or cost per gig.

Yeh Zoon the F1s do challenege the velociraptors, and they obviously are much better value per gig :-D the access time on the velociraptor still makes it a slightly better performer.

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i am soory but there is a diference between a 1TB f1 samsung and a 1TB maxtor

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I like Western Digital and Seagate, used both brands and not really had a single problem. I did have a Raptor die on me once, but the RMA process was very simple, well, it was when i took it to Novatech and had them post it to Germany for me.
    I had a deskstar once as well, but didn't have any issues with it, so i guess i was lucky.

Overall, if i was torn between Seagate and WD i would choose WD, unless there was a huge difference in Price, which there isn't generally.

Sam

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Used Seagate and WD myself, no problem with either although I'm under the impression that WD is the more premium brand.

18. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

personal experience has a lot to do with it.

i had a lot of Maxtors over the years they got hilariously bad press for being unreliable without having any fail, and only one that had some bad sectors.

I've also brought Seagates at times they've been getting rave reviews and received absolute lemons with horrible failure rates :confused:

I've decided to treat reviews with a pinch of salt from now on :lol:

19. computerman5

computerman5 What's a Dremel?

I have Western Digital.

20. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

this is the attitude that i was addressing in my previous post. sure, there are some differences in speed and reliability, but not between brand. a samsung F1 is better than an WD greenpower, but a WD AAKS is better than a samsung 500GB. you have to read the reviews and judge each drive independently, same as you do any other component.
    all hard drives fail eventually. every single one. don't expect anything different, or you will end up losing a lot of data. alliance to a disk manufacturer is not a replacement for a backing up your stuff. the best you can hope for is that your hard drive will fail before the warranty runs out so you can get a new one.