1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is faster? Xbox 360 or PS3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dark6, 19 Oct 2005.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

PS3 will be faster...

...and more expensive...with a higher number of **** games.

2. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

You cant really take games into consideration when there is no games for one system..and the other system barely has launch titles yet. But yea..like the title said "Which one is faster". Ps3, even if its by an inch or a mile, it'll still be faster.

3. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

John Carmack at ID said the PS3 is faster but has crappier dev tools and documentation.

Case closed?

4. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

But as it isn't released yet the documentation could be improved I would think the dev tools could too. As it's still a while away it could change hardware wise, the question is for the better or the worse!

5. Javvis

Javvis What's a Dremel?

Sony has the time to make their machine faster than the xbox 360 ....but what will the PS3 price point be ? If it's 10-20% faster & costs $100-$150 more ...will it be worth it ? Especially if the game developers can't take advantage of that power because it's alot harder to program for.

Sony is trying to find ways to cut their PS3 production costs ....which is normal for any company, "BUT" the problem lies in the way they accomplish this. Starting with their PS1 through the revised micro sized PS2 ......Sony has a bad reputation for reliabilty problems stemming from using shoddy construction & cheap electronic components resulting in major Disc Read Errors, Overheating, & burn't out Laser Lens problems. The Blue-Ray technology will only cause further problems.

For some time now .....Sony has been very vocal about the Millions of PS2's sold ....but, they fail to mention that 50-60% of those are due to consumers having to buy a 2nd & 3rd unit. Walk into any large Game Store chain such as Electronic Boutique or GameStop ....they are very aware of the problem !

IMO ...the Speed Issue is moot because who wants pay approx. $500 for a PS3 that might be faster than the Xbox 360 when it launches ....but, becomes an expensive paperweight when it dies shortly after it's warranty expires ?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well said Javvis, and welcome :)

The Xbox has had its fair share of problems too however, DVD problems again.

Ninty is the only thing you can ever buy and know itll last a lifetime. My NES still works perfectly.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

QFT.

If the PC market is anything to go by, the graphics will be 'about the same' on both consoles.

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I've had to take my GameCube apart several times to readjust the lens. BTW, I got my GameCube at Midnight at launch, I was the first person in line.... (geek, yes, I know, but it was worth it!)

9. The_Gimpy

The_Gimpy What's a Dremel?

I was thinking that the Xbox may have a huge advantage over the PS3 from a games perspective, simply becuase it is released so much earlier. I don't claim to be a marketing guru or anything, but I'd assume most compaines will sign with Xbox for their games, becuase they want to get their games out earlier and make money now. So won't the release date have alot to say about the quality of games. It even makes me wonder if some of those game sequals that we expect to see on the PS3, end up coming out on the Xbox. Anyone else agree?

10. DivineSin

You seem to have the thought in your head that as soon as the x360 is released, both the ps2 and the gamecube wont have games released for it anymore. I think that a company would rather work on the older systems as creating a game would be cheaper to make, not to mentions the installed market for the older systems would be greater and more people would buy the game. However, they DO have the advantage of being released first, but the advantage really isnt in the games, its in the wallet.

Also, time does not create a better game, the 360 could have the same quality games around the ps3 launch as it does as it had on its own launch. But i am wondering on what sequals you expect to be on the ps3, that would end up going to the 360? Usually once a game has been said to be only on one system, it stays that way untill a later date (Resident evil 4). It usually doesnt 'change' just because they want the game to be out sooner.

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

revolution? :worried:

/hides

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

depends how they are travelling... if it's off a cliff, then they are both are at the same speed.

My guess would be the 360 if it was in a Ferrari 360, but then a PS3 could just nip it around a corner faster if it was in a Porsche GT3. :rolleyes:

13. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

I've got my 360 reserved simply because it's got the games and controllers I like, Never got used to my PS2's controller and didn't like the games as much.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Probably right, considering they're the ones smart enough to do the online ports of the classics. Back when "good" was based on gameplay, not graphics.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2005
  15. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Remember the story when the fastest dog in a race cought up with the fake rabbit..?

Fast was the dog... Amen.

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

imo, xbox and playstation have "cool" games, but nintento is just more good old fashioned fun :thumb:

17. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

Back to the 360 and PS3, between the 2 so far PS3 has just had one hit after another about their system, Blu Ray isn't fully up to spec as they claimed, backwards capability is sketch with some games now, and IMO it's not really going to be as good as it's been said to be, it was out on the market first and had a good jump start on the competition, 360's taking the first step out this time, I'm thinkin the 4-6month lead it gets will do it very well (especially hitting the xmas season)

18. DivineSin

Uhh, not that i'm saying your wrong...but where exactly are you getting your info? When has the ps3 taken any hits about their system? What exactly about blu ray isnt fully up to spec? and when has ANYONE released any info about backwards compatability not working with every game?

19. Eric220

Eric220 What's a Dremel?

I've read on multiple sites that the PS3 is faster, but only by 50Mhz. The reason for this is because the XBOX 360 has better shader architecture. Either way, I'm getting an XBOX 360. :thumb:

20. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

The three points that I've seen mentioned on a number of websites very recently are:

- 300 overheating final prototype units sent to developers, that reportedly completely packed in under only moderate use.
    - Blu-Ray still not ready for release or public consumption, and Sony have admitted it won't be ready until sometime in 2006
    - More expensive and difficult to code for according to many developers interviewed recently.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2005
Tags: