1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is faster? Xbox 360 or PS3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dark6, 19 Oct 2005.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Games reaching 30Gb in the next couple of years? I don't think so, but by your standards a 30Gb game could consist of 10Gb of actual game/files and 20Gb of video. To me, that doesn't count.

It'd be like taking Super Mario Bros. and overloading it with fancy HD-FMV cutscenes detailing the story of Mario/Luigi/Peach and Bowser. Sure, you may end up using around 15-20Gb of disc space, but at the end of the day you're only using <1Mb for the actual game data...

Like mookboy has already stated, you only seem to ever mention one game 'brand'; Final Fantasy.
    Surely you must realise that games with long/bloated FMV cutscenes are in the minority?
    I mean, I'm playing through NFS - Most Wanted atm. Sure, it has cutscenes, but they're short and sweet, which means it only takes a minute or two before I'm back to the gameplay (with the next cutscene shown an hour or so later, after so many objectives have been completed).

2. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

^^Yep.

Also, keep in mind HD means very little at the moment for 95% of console gamers. Most people, or should I say, people that aren't hardcore game geeks, don't plan on buying a HD TV anytime soon simply because the world is just getting it's consumerist head around paying five or six hundred quid for a modest widescreen TV that may or may not be even LCD or plasma. HD won't count for a whole lot therefore, no matter how cool it looks, until HDTV is a pretty mundane and average housefold technology.

Also, remember that FF7, probs the finest example of an FMV heavy game, came on multiple discs for the PS1... and did anyone care or complain at the time? I certainly didn't, and I'm fairly sure I won't be complaining too much if the next Mistwalker game (the original Krono Trigger team) is on multiple DVDs or not. Since the start of disc based video gaming, some games have spanned more than one disc. I played Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga from 13 1.44mb floppy disks. The original KOTOR on the PC was on 4 (or 5?). Baldurs Gate was about a hundred. Did I enjoy them any less because every four or five game hours I had to put a different one in? Nope.

Sure HD and disc capacity have the potential to be a major innovation in videogaming over the next few years, but I simply don't see them being as important as a good quality gameplay mechanic or reliable online multiplayer.

3. Fiver

Fiver What's a Dremel?

The biggest reason for incorporating blu-ray is called Sony Pictures Home Ent.

4. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Nobody said that they were anymore important than game mechanic for your information my favourite games are the old 2d fighters KOF or Street Fighters the old six button manual chain combos prior to all the cgi ridden Dead or Alive Jive. Don't assume that I'm some kinda HD cut scene fanatic just cause I'm pointing out a fact. Whether or not 20 gigs of data is HD video is irrelevant as games are still gonna span into Blu Ray territory, sure more of it will be bells and whistles and less game data but that still doesn't negate the fact that they will very soon be hitting the 30 gig break. You mention that not everyone has a HD TV, although thats true, but just cause not everyone has one doesn't mean the media within the games won't be created to comform to those who do have one. For those who don't have a HD tv they'll just play the game at SD and watch the cut scenes at SD but you can bet the programmers will be forced to comform to the standard regardless of how many people have the hardware to enjoy it. So with that said my point is Xbox came out with their system too early just like Sega Dreamcast and in the end the they'll be playing catch up with Sony and the optical capacity is just one obvious factor. Like it or not games like every other media facet will span into 30+ gig territories because A) the world is going HD and that takes massive space and B) Key Factor new advanced optical mediums help to prevent common house hold piracy until every joe blow has a BRD burner capable of laying out 20 gig disks the game programmers will have a chance to take a breath from fighting the average house hold bootleggers.
    This is same reason Sony and the Hollywood Studios are pushing the HD evolution because it'll give them breathing space from Joe Blow the basement bootlegger until the new medium becomes easily duplicated. Although they still won't be able to stop the factories in China.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2005
  5. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

i think its funny how a lot of people here can go by tech demos and quotes from big-shots and make claims about how one system will trump another when they obviously know little of game development. then whats even funnier is that when someone decides to make a point about the 360 (or any console other then one made my sony) they are attacked instantly and labelled a "fanboy". if i were to go by the trend of this forum then i could call half of you sony zombies, but i wont lower myself like that as i can do better then personal attacking uneducated people.

there are soo many more factors here other then just brute power. if the the almighty CELL is the end all answer to this coming next gen then why did sony decide to put a Nvidia card in it as well?? other then Factor 5 (or one owned by sony) show me a developer who hasnt praised microsoft on how they developed their system and dev tools and ill show you 5 more that has not been so happy about sony's choices. the technology in each system is so different that a straight comparison of T-Flops (which is pointless anyways) is not just stupid but ignorant. could it be possible that the ps3 needs that much power because it wasnt designed as effeciently as the 360? for your information, the ps3 is horrible at high-def and if you think for one second that you will be playing games at 1080p running at 120fps, other then tetris, your out of your loon. the ps3 is a polygon monster however i find it odd that among all of sony's bloated specs they always leave out the polygon count. in the end you will hear most developers stating the fact that there will be a much smaller gap between the power of the 360 and ps3 then any other previous generation of consoles. with the ps2 and xbox, there was a 2 year gap in technology to advance, where in the next gen there will hardly be 4 months if that so the difference will be mute in all honesty. this is a never ending arguement, you will have 360 people point out gameplay of Gears of War, then you will have ps3 people pointing rendered movies and not-gameplay MGS vids. all i see are two powerful game consoles that will show us images we never thought possible. people seem so quick to forget what sony has done and yet so keen at the same time to jump all over microsoft. regardless of the nick (thought it was cool) or me defending anyone, im no xbox-fanboy, if anything i can be a sega fanboy (love my DC) but those days are gone now. i wont buy a ps3 because it will be too expensive for a system that doenst have any games i care to play (not fond of the boomerang either). im more then happy with my 360 even though all the launch games barely push 15% of the system.

6. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Lol...why did they include a chip from nvidia when they have a cell? Umm..because a cpu cant process graphical information and psychics and whatnot at the same time, thats a pretty stupid question. As for the rest of your post, i just have this tos ay... :D :eyebrow: :wallbash:

7. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Well xenos360 aren't you being a little hypocritical you tell others to stop basing opinions prematurely yet you claim that the PS3 will have no 3rd party support and will only be able to run tetris at HD compliance and your basing this opinion off what the same articles you criticize others for using. The hypocracy in your statements, try taking your own advice xenosfanboy oops I mean xenos"360", just wait until the PS3 comes out and we'll see if has the 3rd party support and wether it's polygon pushing powers can exceed the barrier of Tetris HD. One thing I can't stand are hyprocrits.

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

One fanboy calling another a fanboy.

Painfully funny.

The 1st rule of this thread seems to be that no-one else can have a valid point of view in the face of everyone elses superior knowledge about a console that doesn't even exist beyond a dev kit. So assuming a position of self-importance, nay mocking derision when addressing another forum member in a conversation based on supostion and barely concrete 'facts' is completely hilarious to behold.

Earlier in this thread I tried to keep things levelled and grounded, without intentionally camping in one manufacturers corner (despite owning an Xbox 360). But it's not even worth getting involved in this sort of 'discussion' when you get the sort of childish comebacks and asinine behaviour that Bit-tech can usually count itself lucky to be without.

Sorry about this rant, but certain topics of discussion seem to have become a target for this sort of crap of late and it's hardly worth formulating a response when it's greeted with a dismissive sentence and a collection of emotes.

9. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Com'on you gotta say the man was being a hypocrit, I least I don't pretend to be non biased. Yes I like Sony's machine better than MS's and thats that. I just can't stand people who pretend to be non biased but really aren't. If you're biased you're biased there's nothing wrong with that but don't try give the world a lecture on objectivity when your nick names 360.

10. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

obviously my post has been misunderstood entirely.

yes i have a 360 in my name and so does a ferrari, but do you hold that against the car??

DivineSin, the reason i made a point of them putting a Nvidia chip in the system is because in the beginning the almighty Cell chip was supposed to do everything from graphics, sound, physics, and so on. just like all of sony's past consoles, it was supposed to run on custom chips to run everything. when the performance wasnt up to par, they sided with nvidia at the last minute, that is why the Gforce going into the ps3 is almost stock with the most basic of alterations.

where did i say that sony wont have any 3rd part support?? hell where did i state anything other then fact? all i meant is that the 3rd party support will not be one sided like it has been the last couple of gens in the beginning. im sorry but when games are being cancelled for your system before the system is even out, thats pretty bad.

i never said that the ps3's poly pushing power would be tapped out at a game like tetris, all i said is that games like tetris are the only ones that will be displayed at 1080p. it is a poly pushing machine but no one really knows how far that goes either. the system is not designed to run in high def well, its a fact whether or not you like to see it. it doesnt have the bandwith to run games in 1080p and your smoking something if you believe Kenny K when he says that games will run at 120fps.

i am no hypocrit, just someone who doesnt choose sides based on claims. if i was so biased then why am i planning on owning a revol. some day as well. i never called anyone here a fanboy, zombie, or any other immature label even though you guys like to get all sensitive when someone doesnt agree that the ps3 will be god in a machine. again i wasnt downplaying the ps3 just keeping my expectation to a REALISTIC level. and unlike a lot of you kids, im stating that in real world games both consoles will end up pretty even, not saying one will smash the other.

11. DivineSin

:hehe: :clap: :wallbash: Thats all i have to say to any post you make...bravo..bravo...~sarcasm~

Btw, i'de really like to know what games for the ps3 have been canceled? There must be dozens of cancelations to show any lack of 3rd party support.

How you know that the system isnt designed for displaying High Definition video? Because the only thing that the 360 has more on the ps3 is cache on the CPU..which has little to do with processing high resolution graphics.

And why you actually believed that there is only a single processor in the ps2 that does both CPU functions and GPU functions...? And when exactly did they want to have an nvidia chip 'last minute'? Ever since there has been technical specs out on the ps3 there has been a Nvidia GPU in there...

Seriously, i want to know..you say these things like you think there actually true...its hillarious.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2005
  12. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

why you have such a hard time coming to grips with reality is beyond me. im sure when you grow up you will see that diluting yourself isn’t the way to live.

i have done or said nothing to offend anyone here and yet i have been bashed for nearly every post i have made. its a wonder how anyone who doesnt love sony products can post here.

13. DivineSin

Really? Me grow up and face reality? Every post you've made you have slurred in a bunch of lies and rumors that sadly i think you actually believe.

But seriously, why dont you awnser the questions i asked?

14. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

you really like to twist words around dont you? I NEVER SAID THAT THE PS3 WOULD LACK 3RD PARTY SUPPORT, i mearly stated more then once that the ps3 will not take the majority of support in the beginning of the next gen like a playstation has in the beginning of the last two generations. and to answer your question: condemned and oblivion are two games that were once slated for the ps3 and are no longer. while oblivion was never officially announced for the ps3, when the game was first announced it was stated to be on the PC and next gen consoles (meaning 360 and ps3 since nothing was known of the revolution at the time) and as for condemned that was officially announced but then also officially cancelled.

i know from developers that the ps3 is horrible at high resolutions. it wasnt built to handle it as well as the 360 and the system will be taxed harder because of that, with me saying that doesnt mean that the games wont look great in HD, they will, but it will take more power out of the console then the 360 (fact). why do you think that a standard resolution was never announced, well a final one, many times they have stated many standards from 480p to 1080p. and if you think that the only difference between the ps3 and 360 is the amount of cache on the CPUs then you know less then what i thought you did. the technology in both are so different that it is pointless to do a direct comparison.

when did i say that there was a single processor that functioned as a CPU and GPU in the ps2??!!! wow boy whatever your smoking i would put it down now. hell there are more then just two processors in that system (12 total if i remember right) and getting them all to work together right was one of the main problems with developers in the early days of the system. sony announced last year that they were including a Nvidia card in their system, that wasnt in the original plan. for two years however Nvidia and sony have worked together to put a Gforce in the ps3, but the original idea was to let the Cell chip handle the graphic workload with no assistance from a GPU. the Gforce going in the ps3 is only a slightly altered version of the newest gforce out today (like the slightly altered Gforce 3 in the xbox) and is nowhere near the custom built GPU that is in the 360. not saying that its not a good GPU, far from it, but my main point is that they needed the GPU because the Cell chip wasnt up to par.

im happy you find these facts so funny, i knew you were on something and i hope you find some real help soon.

15. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

how are they rumors and lies? like i said i take all info from developers the most serious and those from other companies with much skeptism. you thought just keep preaching PR BS from sony as if they always tell the truth. so you tell me where your facts lay?

16. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

to get a better understanding, all knowing divinesin. what of the next gen systems do you actual know? im not asking anything to be an ass, im just curious. do you understand how game development actually works? the history of these next gen consoles? how the technology in these next gen consoles are actually applied to gaming?? these are all questions of honest nature, no disrespect in any form as i never have so far.

17. DivineSin

Lol, just because a site announces oblivion for 'next gen consoles' doesnt mean crap. So, one game was canceled..or perhaps 'bought' by microsoft to only be on there system?

A standard resolution was announced, just like all games on the x360 have to support 720p, all ps3 titles have to support atleast 1080i. I said that the only difference in cache between the two consoles was the cache on the processors, of course theres differences between both consoles. Both consoles process information on there CPU and GPU differently, which is why the ps3 can process graphics like MGS4 and so far..the 360 has nothing that looks close.

I'de really like to know what developers you have heard from that the ps3 does a crappy job at high resolution graphics. Seriously, point me to a site that states this or even a little quote from the inquirer would be fine.

Its hard to reply to anything you say because everything you say seems to come from fanboy propaganda where parts are both right and wrong, but i would really like to know how the nvidia card in the ps3 is only a slightly altered 7800GT while the gpu in the 360 is 'completly custom'?

18. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

oh i see, when any company or game is exclusive to the 360 its "bought", real nice.

wrong, 1080i isnt the minimal standard as there are also reports you can find saying that 1080p will be standard:

http://home.btconnect.com/hgi/ps3/ps3-official.html

there is no official standard from sony, if you can find me a quote ill find 5 more that say something different. also why has the very few clips of real time vids off of the ps3 been running at 720p. and you should know that the graphics seen in the MGS4 vid are real time but SCRIPTED which im sure you have no idea what that means. with the clarity of the next gen consoles you cant compare two games because the art direction will make all the difference because there are those who will tell you that Gears of War is more impressive technically then the MGS4 vid because one is shown during gameplay while the other is displayed in a controlled environment of a cut scene.

at the moment i cant, he is under NDA and i do not care enough for you to believe me to have him lose his job. i can quote some of the things that give his word ground to stand on but i cant directly quote him.....

all info from one of the devs who i come in contact with. believe or not but i have no reason to lie.

oh im sorry im sure because they gave it a fancy buzz-word name like "reality synthasizer" its hard for you to see it as nothing more then an over clocked Gforce 7800 with extra shader operations. it has all the same technology and architecture as the 7800 so what do you call it? where the Xenos is totally custom with technology not even available for another years atleast and an architecture far different than any previous GPU.

sorry for the long post, i have to go though time to leave work.

19. DivineSin

No, i said that it could of been bought out by microsoft so that the game only appeared exclusive on the 360 console.

There are no in-game footage of ps3 games because not a single game has come close to being finished. But yes, 1080p could be the standard definition for the games, but it wont, hardly anyone has a 1080p television and it would be a bitch to run -every- game at that standard. Considering the real-time MGS4 trailer was in 1080i, i would say that that would be the standard.

Oh and yes, i do know what scriped means, of course MGS4 was scripted, it was a real-time cutscene. You can still expect in-game graphics to look as good as that though considering it is in-engine.

But of course you cant tell your sources, because they dont exist. You simply want to try to sound professional when all you can spout out is rumors and fanboyism. I would really like to know why you added a whole story about tearing though...as it hasnt even come up in our conversation (I mean arguement).

And yea..like i thought, all you can do is say that the Xenos is custom technology while the RSX is just an upgrade 7800GT...yea..right..

Seriously, i cant read your posts with a straight face..cant..stop..laughing.

Edit: I cant believe i forgot about this, check out http://www.ninjatheory.com/blinkblink/. It is actually in-game in-engine, so you can see what the ps3 can do. I actually havnt seen anything on the 360 to match how many people are on screen at once in Heavenly Sword.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2005
  20. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Wow "xenos360" you are indeed a true fanboy, Xbox should be proud to have someone as dedicated as you in there camp. I'm speechless there's no way I would have wrote all that to defend Sony, I must bow down before your fanboy stature.
    As for me I'll just wait until PS3 comes out to make my descision hey at worst I can at least play Tetris HD and watch "King Kong" HD on BluRay.

Tags: