1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is faster? Xbox 360 or PS3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dark6, 19 Oct 2005.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

2. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

is there really a point in you pointing out the obvious? and actually it does matter for those who want to play HD movies. this will be a good cheap alternative to those who cant afford a stand alone player. it doesnt need to be used for games because we are already playing High def games just fine right now, also it would do damage if they were to release games on HD-DVD, bad for the consumer and bad for the developer.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2006
  3. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

You cant really say that this is going to be a cheap alternative since you dont know the price. It could damn well be 50-100 bucks less than a normal HD-DVD player by the time it comes out. I would much rather use my x360 for games and then buy a stand alone hd-dvd player to view movies if it isnt much more expensive. However, if it is cheap (say 50-100 bucks, which i doubt) it might just be a good thing for those who dont care about quality.

Same thing goes for the ps3, you may use your ps3 for blu-ray movies at first, but you should really buy a normal blu-ray player when there affordable.

4. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

well we dont even know how much a stand alone player will be but if its in the same range as the blue ray players then it could be over $1000. also i dont expect the add-on to cost more then $200-$250 as no one would pay more then that for a console add-on. and the player could be just the drive so there wouldnt be any need to pay for all the features a player would have because all the functions could be performed through the 360. if all of this comes true then yes it would be a cheap alternative, either way it will atleast be a cheaper alternative. just like sony is hoping for the ps3 to expand the install base of blue ray players, im sure toshiba is also hoping that the 360 can help drive HD-DVD so who knows what desperate moves the will pull to beat out blue ray.

i do agree however that its always better to buy a stand alone player to watch movies. that is why i laugh at people who point to the ps3 being able to play movies as one of the big features because its not at all. i buy game machines to play games, the movie playback is usually sub par anyways

5. Eric220

Eric220 What's a Dremel?

Hmm...Looks like I might be purchasing a Xbox 360 after all.

Not to be bias or anything, but the PS3 could be buggy at launch.

PS3 - Bugs

6. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

just like the 360, there WILL be faulty problems with the ps3, maybe more since the architecture is a bit more complicated then the 360's. i only wonder how sony will handle the faulty units, they do not have the best history of customer service. nintendo is probably the only company that will have a VERY VERY low rate of faulty units as their testing process is much more thorough and the hardware in the revolution wont be bleeding edge like in the 360 and ps3. im also curious to how people are going to react to the PSU of the ps3 as many people have complained and were shocked about the 360 PSU, well im not sure if the ps3 will be any smaller but judging by the dev kits heat does seem to be an issue with the hardware. only time will tell, it may take both companies a few months to iron out any kinks in the designs of their consoles.

also news just in regarding the whole blu-ray vs. dvd9 debate for gaming....

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=105402

Last edited: 9 Jan 2006
  7. Unified_Shaders

Unified_Shaders Banned

*sigh*

Everywhere I go...

Seeing as Im new, heres my opinion on the matter of system speed...

Speed on paper means next to nothing between the 2. The PS3 is a beast, but as you all know, it will take much more effort to tap into its power, and with that comes a higher overall cost to developers, much higher(going by Kuataragis 17.5 million $$ comment).

The next gen will be shaped around ease of development, I cannot stress that enough. Knowing developers that have had ps3 kits for a while, I hear it all the time. But once they get rid of the redundancy, it starts to shine.

Its no coincidence that Carmack and others are using the 360 as their lead platform for their new projects. Its all about development tools. Im sure Sony will bolster their efforts as time passes making it easier to program for. You can bet that the big games, for example, MGS 4, RE 5, GT 5 and others will look stunning, and noticably better than your average ps3 title.

*Most* cross platform titles will look about the same. Its the Exclusives that will shine on each respective system.

And dont count out Nintendo. All this talk about it being noticably weaker than the others doesnt mean it wont pump out great looking games.

Buy the system that offers the games you want. It doesnt get any simpler than that. They will all be fast/powerful.

8. ThExecutive

ThExecutive What's a Dremel?

:rock: 360....if not for anything else.... HALO!!! :rock:

9. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

i agree to an extent as you make some good points. i think that games like RE5 will look about the same on both systems and yes it is the exclusives that will look best on each respective platform. however that doesnt mean that one system will look better then the other because there will be few exclusive games on each platform that aim for the same art direction which will be one of the most important factors to graphics in the next gen of games. for example, MGS4 is said to be the graphical showcase for the ps3 while GoW is said to be the same for the 360. they both look good in their own ways but i dont think one can say one looks better then the other because of many reasons, one being that they have totally different art directions (that and one is real time gameplay while the other is real time cut-scene, HUGE DIFFERENCE). as for the revolution, i agree that it will produce great looking games and if early reports are true that its not nearly as powerful as the 360 and ps3, it may be evened out because the revolution doesnt need the extra horsepower to run games in high-def.

again overall i believe that the games will look so damn good that you wont be able to tell the difference on a regular TV, throw a high-def TV into the comparison and the revolution may be left behind in the clarity category

Tags: