1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Mobo for Pentium D 805

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtificialHero, 11 May 2006.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Well the fantastic overclocking results with this processor have inspired me to finally upgrade my rig - I'm currently on a A7N8X-Deluxe with a 2500+ XP-M @ 2.2GHz, and 1Gb of PC3200 TwinMOS RAM. Considering the RAM is and has been stable at 200MHz for the last year and a half I should be fine with that, but along with the processor I obviously want to pick up the best overclocking motherboard. So that's basically what I'm asking - I know there are ways of finding this stuff out, but I have looked into it and I really can't see anything online that breaks the info down for me, and as I've been an AMD lad for years pentium sockets and mobos are pretty much all greek to me!

Thanks very much in advance,
    AH

Oh PS sorry to take it offtopic but if anyone's interested in taking the processor and / or motherboard off my hands chuck me a PM and we can talk as soon as I take delivery of my new kit. As I say the processor is rock solid at 2.2GHz on air, you could definitely take it further with the right RAM on air, and obviously even further with water.

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

what hsf are u using at the mo'?

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The problem is that you're going to have to get some DDR2 memory for that, since the Pentium Ds are LGA775. There's a pretty good selection of decent stuff available now, although some of it ain't cheap :blah:

4. atanum141

yeah i gotta agree, Personally i would use a Asus mobo but the good 955/975 are stupidly expensive, i know that the 945 is good but in the future conroe will be used on the 955/975 chipsets so i would say 945 is useless.

5. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

atanum: ThermalRight SLK800 - If you're interested let's talk on PM, this is not the place for trading. If this generates a lot of interest I'll post a thread in the FS forum.

hitman: cheers for the heads up, DDR2 appears to competely have passed me by - so essentially I'm going to need to replace the memory too? Sucky. And also it seems to me there would be no point doing all this without buying some kind of PCI-e solution for graphics, seeing as I'm still on a 9700Pro. This *isn't* looking like staying under £250, is it!

New competition: Find me a solution whereby I end up with a new mobo (preferably either with onboard graphics or a legacy AGP slot to tide me over until I can get hold of a PCI-e graphics card), a PentiumD 805, and 512mb of DDR2 ram that won't hold me back in terms of how far I'm gonna be able to overclock the processor on air (preferably 1 stick so that I can upgrade when I get more cash). You can include reasonable costings for what I have at the moment: an Asus A7N8X-Dx mobo, an XP-M 2500+ (stepping on request), 2x512Mb TwinMOS PC3200, and a ThermalRight SLK800U. Presumably my current heatsink won't come anywhere near fitting on the LGA775 board? The budget? As mentioned, £250. If anyone manages this, I'll be AMAZED.

Thanks,
    AH

p.s. please don't laugh at me if legacy AGP slots don't exist, it's amazing how little time you have to keep up with new hardware when you start a degree ...

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can still use cheaper 533mhz DDR2. I mean, even if you do clock it to an 800FSB your memory will still be 5:4

512meg sticks can be picked up pretty reasonably. You'll need a new heatsink too.

Any good make with a 955 or 975 should do you, mobo wise.

7. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

the 1 that Tom's hardware used is ~£190 plus VAT from OcUk
    then you have the memory, VGA card, cooling & of course the CPU.
    Then if your running an OEM copy of Windows MS say new mobo=new Windows.
    £250? I don't think so ...

8. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

I read the article over at Tom's Hardware Guide, there is a list of suitable motherboards:

Asus P5WD2-E Premium (Intel 975x)
    Asus P5WD2-WS Premium (Intel 975x)
    Asus P5WD2 Premium (Intel 955X)
    Gigabyte G1975X Turbo (Intel 975X)
    Gigabyte 8I955X Royal (Intel 955X)

I too have upgraded from an Athlon XP2600-M, which means a new MB, RAM, Graphics card and for me a new SATA Hard Drive; my existing one is EIDE and the Asus P5WD2-WS Premium I chose only has one EIEDE connector.

This means that I have pretty much a whole PC left over once I've upgraded. Later I might find a fanless graphics card and a quiet Athlon CPU cooler and a case and build a Media PC with the Athlon XP2600-M. As it's a mobile CPU it runs lower voltage than standard and I may even underclock it a little to run really cool and quiet.

Intel motherboards are expensive, but then again so are top of the range AMD boards with all the bells and whistsles. Also, you have to consider the cost of the CPU, which at £80.00 means you are saving a lot more than the extra mothoerboard cost when compared with other dual core CPUs. The cheapest AMD dual core is ~£190.00 and the next cheapest Intel Dual is ~£140.00

As I want to seriously overclock the D 805, I chose the Asus P5WD2-WS Premium as this has an 8 phase power regulator, which THG think may help:

Those who may be concerned about the voltage regulators on their motherboards should purchase a board with an 8-phase regulator. We recommend the Asus workstation motherboard P5WD2-WS Premium for that reason.

However, this thing is going to run HOT, so you will need some serious cooling to achieve the overclock to 4Ghz that THG did. Fortunately, I already have a good watercooling set up, I just needed to buy new tops for the Danger Den CPU and Chipset blocks, £13.00, so fingers crossed. :D

9. atanum141

Anyone know the differences between the 955 chipset and the 975?

EDIT:
    this is what it says on the Overclcokers site, but dosent on THG say that he used a 975 board also? am i to believe that Overclockers are wrong?

Last edited: 12 May 2006
  10. webchimp

All my stuff, D 805 and Intel 975x based motherboard should arrive on Monday, so I'll be able to tell you then. THG used the Asus P5WD2-E, which is 975x in their test, so it should be OK.

You can also check processor/cpu support here: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

11. koola

koola Minimodder

Seems most/all mobos that support Dual core are fine. Linkey

12. atanum141

im feeling to get a 955 even tho the 975 is the top dog but i cant justify the huge price difference and even at that the 955 is £112

@Webchimp: where did you order ur stuff and what gfx did you get and what ram?

13. koola

koola Minimodder

ok, uber cheap setup:

Gigabyte 8I945GMF (Socket LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-050-GI) - (£70.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    Intel Pentium 4 805 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 2.6GHz (533FSB) - Retail (CP-116-IN) - (£88.07 Including VAT at 17.5%)
    Samsung Original 1GB DDR2 PC4200 533MHz (MY-014-SA) - (£64.57 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Total : £287.64 (2GB) or £223.08 (1GB)

Source: http://www.overclockers.co.uk

14. atanum141

i dont think the 945 chipset can handle this cpu....
    EDIT: also dont forget the Pci-e gfx card.

Last edited: 12 May 2006
  15. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Gigabyte's boards actually don't support this chip famously. You're better off going with an ASUS or Abit setup...they're more in-line with this particular chip.

16. koola

koola Minimodder

The Gigabyte 8I945GMF will do the job fine according to their website and what THG has said.

Board - CPU Support List

Looks good for £70'ish

17. atanum141

a few quid extra i'd rather go for a Abit...a full size one at that.I simply dont like gigabyte boards, I find them messy and none of the range has a uniformity....also they like to attach on tacky looking Bling Bling

18. webchimp

THG did mention that Gigabyte boards where a bit of a no-no. I suggest anyone planning on getting the D805 with the intention of overclocking it read the article thoroughly: http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores_uk/

To be able to overclock this CPU to anywhere near the 4.1 Ghz achieved by THG you are going to have to take into account a number of issues:

1. Does the motherboard have all the necessary options.
    2. It will need a lot of cooling, watercooling at least.
    3. PSU Power, you're going to need at least a 480 watt PSU if you're going to use a power hungry graphics card as well. More if you're entertaining using 2 graphics cards.

Lastly, you need the right stepping CPU and a bit of luck that you get a good'un.

I ordered all my stuff from Overclockers UK. Before I ordered, I phoned them to ask what stepping the CPUs were and whether I could choose a specific one, but they said that I would have to take pot luck. Considering they call themselves "Overclockers" and how important specifuc CPU steppings can be to overclocking success, I think it's a bit of a let down. :eyebrow:

19. koola

koola Minimodder

true, but the aim was for a cheap setup, not really for bling bling. I'll admit that the Abit is the better board being a couple of quid more, but then again some people can't stretch to that couple of extra quid ;)

Nice board though!

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive got the max version we reviewed on here. Damn nice board, only problem is the uGuru uses a custom sensor which means v.little 3rd party support :( Stable as a rock though, and decent features.