1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unikey, 22 Aug 2011.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Won't give the colour reproduction he's after. Great monitor for the price though.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree, don't get me wrong it's a million times better than all of the crap (TN and MVA panels) out there... A monitor that I recommend as well. But, providing a close to a CRT feel... it's not very close, sadly.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Me too I want a 9850x6500 monitor, that looks like a CRT at 600Hz, and makes me garlic bread.
    But sadly, that is not available.

The best you can do, is simply have the computational power to drive a game at 1920x1200, or what ever you native resolution is.
    Driving a 27inch plus monitor (2560 x 1440), you need some serious GPU power (SLI), especially if you plan to play games at near max settings. But, over the year, GPU's got very powerful, and 1920x1200 isn't too demanding. Heck my current, old, trusty Geforce GTX 260, just started to struggle with new games at max or near max settings. Current mid-range GPU's such as the 560Ti, or the 570 will provide no problem driving games at such high resolution.

I expect the Nvidia next graphic card AFTER the new one that will come early next year, to be have not much problem with a 27inch monitor.

But, hopes aren't all lost. The Dell U2410 does a very good job in trying to adjust a lower resolution onto a grid at 1920x1200. Normal text will be blurry (obviously, no possible fix.. but does a smooth blur around it, making it AT LEAST readable, and pictures or games, appear fine. Now, I am not saying it's a miracle or something, it's obviously best to drive it at 1920x1200, but still. AT least it TRIES, and does a descent job in doing the impossible.

Also, the U2410 supports 1:1 pixel mapping, that means you can prevent any scaling of any lower resolution from the native one. That means the image is pixel perfect sharp, like you want... but it's not scaled to full screen.

Example: This is 1680x1050 on a 1920x1200 screen:
    [​IMG]
    (don't be concerned by the monitor image quality.. my digital camera is desperately need to be replaced.. not only it was crap back then... but it 's a 2003 camera. Sooo yea.. it makes everything look awful, unless your are out in complete day light, on mountains to be closest to the sun, and at a height that is above the clouds to get maximum of it.
    I can promises you that the date and time that shows on my desktop on the top-right corner, is PERFECTLY visible in reality. But, the good news, is that what you are seeing now.. notice how it blends.. that is what happens if you go cheap with a TN panel, or a 6-bit IPS panel without a color processor. Oh and due to the crapiness of the digital camera.. colors on that picture are WAY off. sigh.... I need a descent digital camera :/

Here is an up-close picture of the date & Time on my desktop... Notice that it is indeed more visible: http://www.helpweaver.com/IMG_4265.JPG

Anyway, back to topic.. so you see it's really not bad as a plan B, if scaling doesn't work for you. And you can see how the U2410 does a nice job in blocking the back light, for some fantastic blacks. It's not perfect, but it sure beats anything out there. Now IPS panels are better in general, the Dell U2410 is better at it. See this monitor as a somewhat medium range IPS panel. For better blacks, you need to go pro range.. but of course.. more money, and less focus on speed.

Now a comment on ghosting and input lag.. YOU WILL NOT NOTICE IT.
    Unless you are special, where you have super duper ultra hyper, humming bird speed, reflexes and vision, because you played the same FPS games all yourself, and now playing champion ship competitions... you will not notice. I don't even notice it next to my CRT monitor.
    Why? Because not only the monitor does an excellent job in providing high speed image, all by providing a very good image quality. You don't have to take my word for it. Check out this forum, no 1 person is not happy with their IPS panel, even the a bit slower ones, more entry-level range.

But I think, you will quickly notice, however, that LCD's do provide many advantages over CRT's in image quality, and also consider that your CRT is old now, and believe me the colors that you are seeing now aren't great anymore, and the text and image isn't as sharp as before. The Dell U2410 will provide you the same great CRT feel as if your good old CRT provided to you when it was brand new. I think, you will do like me, that once you'll get it, you'll put your trusty old CRT in storage room or something. You won't throw it (as who can trough such great monitor technology...), but definitely wont' be on your desk.

I did try several LCD monitors that had fantastic reviews and recommended highly from people (this was back before I knew anything on LCD), and I returned all of them (well except 1 which I gave to my mom). They were ALL CRAP compared to my CRT.. and I mean with the current state of the CRT (colors aren't great as they were). I was so pissed off, I was about to cash out (and I kid you not) 1700$ on a professional grade monitor, while I was doing research like no tomorrow on LCD technology.. how they work exactly, understand the drawbacks and why they happen, and know and understand all the current LCD technologies.

The ONLY reason why I recommend the U2410 it's because it's the monitor that provides you a very close feel to a CRT, and the best for your money. POINT.
    If you want a better feeling... well be ready to cash out 1000$+ Wait in fact.. I recall LG (the panel manufacture of the U2410), had what I believe the same monitor as the U2410, which was selling at 1000$... so I guess you need to go above that range. BUT, as you are going higher, you are also jumping markets.. you are now starting to look at monitors designed for pro's, and work.. so they aren't fast for gaming, as everything is focused in producing point point color accuracy (from the color calibrator received specifications).
    I mean again, notice the black on the picture above.. it's freaking black! Heck I am still on 1650x1080 as I am typing this, and I JUST remembered that I need to put back my monitor to 1920x1200. It's not perfect pin point black like a CRT, but damn it's close.

4. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

"Me too I want a 9850x6500 monitor, that looks like a CRT at 600Hz, and makes me garlic bread.
    But sadly, that is not available."

Lol me too, but at least my spec existed once!
    I do notice ghosting on the benq and I'm not a serious gamer at all. It doesn't affect my gameplay but its annoying as hell

"The ONLY reason why I recommend the U2410 it's because it's the monitor that provides you a very close feel to a CRT, and the best for your money. POINT"

Agreed I can't see the value in a pro screen unless I could use it for gaming as well. The current plan is to add a 2410 and then replace the benq with a TN screen for gaming (if I don't like the 2410 for it)

Thank you for the help